great lakes steel mill
at_the_bop

Waterloo, Canada

#4051 Dec 4, 2009
Rumor I heard today from my foreman is that we will be going to four turns. People will be called to start at the stinson the week of the 13th. Two furnace operation end of December/beginning of January with 45 heats a day at the bop.
yes

Berea, OH

#4052 Dec 4, 2009
Unfortunate wrote:
That sucks!!! I was told that 9 were laid off and you SHOULD be back in 2 weeks.
that is what we were told

Since: Oct 09

Troy, MI

#4054 Dec 4, 2009
at_the_bop wrote:
Rumor I heard today from my foreman is that we will be going to four turns. People will be called to start at the stinson the week of the 13th. Two furnace operation end of December/beginning of January with 45 heats a day at the bop.
here are some numbers from hubby d4 furnace had 9 casts on wednesday and thursday and roughly 3000 tons each day. when he left work this morning he said furnace was running again today. i dont know if that is good or not but it is factual info for all.

Since: Oct 09

Troy, MI

#4055 Dec 4, 2009
at_the_bop wrote:
forgot to mention that the bop thingie had 10 casts on wednesday and 15 on thursday. dont think he said whether or not bop was running today. anybody out there no what the bop is or does?
Great Lakes Steel

Riverview, MI

#4056 Dec 4, 2009
lil guy wrote:
I for once hope you are right. please sell us to FORD!PLEASE!! no more Us steel management sacre tactics and I will galdy change over to the UAW. we have seen how much our usw cares about us. Ford won't play around. everyone will be back to work.
First off, here is the first I have heard about a rumor of Ford buying the Hot Mill. Second, it's probably not true.

But lets just say they do buy the Hot Mill.

It's common sense that what they are going to do is run slabs from THEIR Caster which is only a few miles away by rail. So I don't see where a purchase by Ford's of our 80" is going to call everyone back to work.
back

Taylor, MI

#4057 Dec 4, 2009
Ran into some uppers from pitts. tonight at my local white castle.They are in town early for the monday tour.They said the ford rumor is a bunch of bunk.Both furnaces up and running by jan1 at the latest.Although they are quite pissed about the D4 problem.Only time will tell if I was told the truth.They also said that not all will be called back,we will have to do more with less people.Dont know if severence will be offered,as I didnt think to ask until after I left.Thats all I can tell you,good luck all.
ontheinside

Rochester, MI

#4058 Dec 5, 2009
when i left the mill last night d4 ran 15 heats thursday and 19 friday things are looking good they keep running heats that way every day more people to be called back to work soon.

Since: Nov 09

Wyandotte, MI

#4059 Dec 5, 2009
BACK. how can they run with less people? i work 2nd and 3rd and it was a skeleton crew running the place already.
enough

Brampton, Canada

#4060 Dec 5, 2009
Surmas problem, not the workers making ends meet.

http://www.topix.com/com/x/2009/12/us-steel-c...

Let them know that we are hurting.
excited

Trenton, MI

#4061 Dec 5, 2009
Yet another Christmas ruined...oh well what can we do. I hope everyone has a Happy Holiday and a safe New Year. Can I still get a turkey? Gotta eat.
excited

Trenton, MI

#4062 Dec 5, 2009
back wrote:
Ran into some uppers from pitts. tonight at my local white castle.They are in town early for the monday tour.They said the ford rumor is a bunch of bunk.Both furnaces up and running by jan1 at the latest.Although they are quite pissed about the D4 problem.Only time will tell if I was told the truth.They also said that not all will be called back,we will have to do more with less people.Dont know if severence will be offered,as I didnt think to ask until after I left.Thats all I can tell you,good luck all.
Yeah right.I'm sure they are always dining at White Castle,and for them to discuss the plant with you GREATEST RUMOR YET!!
excited

Trenton, MI

#4063 Dec 5, 2009
I was at KFC today and ran into Surma and he told me all would be called back. Wait nobody is gonna believe that.
WILD

Kitchener, Canada

#4064 Dec 5, 2009
north of the border Surma has recruiters looking for all the steel making trades for scab labour.
$5000 a week with OT, security provided and travel time paid. Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas !!!!
Great Lakes Steel

Riverview, MI

#4066 Dec 5, 2009
excited wrote:
Yet another Christmas ruined...oh well what can we do. I hope everyone has a Happy Holiday and a safe New Year. Can I still get a turkey? Gotta eat.
I'll buy your family a turkey.
E-mail your address to fermibound at aol.com . I'll mial you a gift certificate to Krogers that will cover the cost of a turkey.

Since: Jun 09

Southgate, MI

#4067 Dec 5, 2009
excited wrote:
I was at KFC today and ran into Surma and he told me all would be called back. Wait nobody is gonna believe that.
kfc maybe way too classy.
excited

Trenton, MI

#4068 Dec 5, 2009
Great Lakes Steel wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll buy your family a turkey.
E-mail your address to fermibound at aol.com . I'll mial you a gift certificate to Krogers that will cover the cost of a turkey.
It's good to know people still care. I may take you up on that..Thank You.
sam

Wyandotte, MI

#4069 Dec 5, 2009
excited wrote:
the hall will have christmas baskets for those still on lay off. dec 17th from 10am-5pm is what they have posted on there web site.
just a idea

United States

#4071 Dec 5, 2009
I wonder if the hall could give all of the laidoff people a turkey and $1000 for the strike fund. it in the contract that we can't strike, so the money is just sitting there building up. just a idea.

Since: Nov 09

Wyandotte, MI

#4074 Dec 5, 2009
seniority what dept you in? Hey fresh news from the inside would be great.
just a idea

United States

#4075 Dec 5, 2009
feel it will not hurt to ask, but probably get the same double talk . it is our money and I sure the people working would not mind helping out the laidoff workers' families in that way. it has been building for years and every contract has a no strike clause. a $1000 to give our families a better christmas than last year. it a better idea than a turkey and a $10 or so gift card. hear the gate donations were real low, but I don't know what the total collection was. like I said just a idea, like just a dream .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stelco Lake Erie Works/US Steel Canada (Jul '09) Oct 4 Stressed out 24,518
Stelco Hilton Works/US Steel Canada (Jan '10) Sep '17 Refrac 16,406
join the great illuminati brotherhood be rich a... Aug '17 Illuminati 1
US Steel physical and drug test taking to long!... (Mar '17) Jun '17 NoKingButChrist 37
News Daniel Beiser (May '08) Jun '17 Granite Hard Forever 2
More from around the web