US Steel lays off 675 workers in US, ...

US Steel lays off 675 workers in US, Canada

There are 8 comments on the Ocala Business Journal story from Nov 13, 2008, titled US Steel lays off 675 workers in US, Canada. In it, Ocala Business Journal reports that:

Published: Thursday, November 13, 2008 at 6:24 p.m. Last Modified: Thursday, November 13, 2008 at 6:24 p.m. United States Steel Corp.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ocala Business Journal.

Walter Reuther UAW

Toronto, Canada

#1 Nov 13, 2008
... the layoffs, effective immediately, include 500 employees in the U.S. and 175 in Canada.

All of the workers are union members.

The U.S. layoffs affect workers at the steel maker's Edgar Thomson and Irvin plants near Pittsburgh; its Gary Works in ...
Comment?

Related Topix: Steel, United States Steel, Mining, Gary, IN, Gary Metro, Portage, IN, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Fed Nor

Toronto, Canada

#2 Nov 13, 2008
... a record quarter to the end of September,

a feat that won't likely be repeated in the short term as the northern Ontario steelmaker grapples with a worldwide economic slump.

Net income jumped to $146 million, mostly attributable to higher steel ...
Comment?

Related Topix: North America, Canada, World News, Steel, United States Steel, Mining, Sault Ste. Marie, MI, Quebec, Canada, Sault Ste Marie, ON, Sault Ste. Marie, MI, Sainte-Marie, QC, Canada
Pepsi fan

United States

#3 Apr 5, 2010
so are things better now???
Greasy Swede

Simcoe, Canada

#4 Apr 6, 2010
Pepsi fan wrote:
so are things better now???
Only slightly better than being tied to an ant hill and doused in maple syrup... kind of like death by paper cuts.
Charles Epps

United States

#5 Sep 5, 2010
Lonnie Lee Owens 385452 nwcx site II
lake country 1-6-2 960 state rt
212 Tiptonville, tn 38079
mugwah

Stoney Creek, Canada

#6 Sep 7, 2010
this sucks guys, i'm sorry to hear the news. i hope somehow it gets better although i don't know how it could.
Steel seller

Grand Junction, CO

#7 Sep 7, 2010
That piece of @#$%&! US Steel is NOT getting bought out. It''s a dog of a stock with horrible fundementals, burning up cash like mad. Who the hell would want it? SELL SELL SELL. Same garbage rumor floated around not too long ago and looke what happened then.
Anonymous

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 Oct 15, 2010
What is the truth ? Nobody knows .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stelco Lake Erie Works/US Steel Canada (Jul '09) 1 hr John Roach sympat... 23,893
Stelco Hilton Works/US Steel Canada (Jan '10) 4 hr Former Stelco Cop 15,944
Keetec Chat (Nov '09) Jul 29 Ranger 1 111
New Steelworker (Jan '12) Jul '16 Imaginethat 93
The Good and Bad about US Steel (Jan '11) Jun '16 really 63
News China's Hebei Iron & Steel says U.S. probe dama... Jun '16 marpy 1
More from around the web