Would you accept U.S. Steels final pr...

Would you accept U.S. Steels final proposal? (Local 8782)

Created by Nanos on Apr 19, 2013

769 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Undecided

Goldtimer

Waterford, Canada

#23 Apr 24, 2013
To many grey areas in this contract so many things need to be cleared up ...Broad banding,etc...is there reason the company cant be more clear on these things?
DoverDude

Brantford, Canada

#24 Apr 25, 2013
Idiots. don't know if you noticed but the economy still isn't all that great around here and there are actually tens of thousands of people across Ontario who would be happy to at least have a job.

Take the company's proposal and fight them hard in 3 years when the economy has improved and you actually have some leverage.

The union has lied to it's membership and for that they deserve to be voted out of their positions.
DoverDude

Brantford, Canada

#25 Apr 25, 2013
Voting NO to the contract wrote:
Us Steel is succeeding at destroying the union at Lake Erie Works. They're trying to please just over 50% of the union (namely anyone with over 28 years service or anyone on the new plan) and force the contract. Unfortunately, by this topix page, it seems like it might go through. If it does, I think its a testament of how the majority of new hires don't care about their union brother working beside them.
I'd say that next contract if us steel offers them another 15 cents towards their defined pension they'll trade the benefits of the retirees.
It's a testament to people actually wanting to work and get paid so they can pay their bills and nothing more. Maybe you don't remember how many people lost their homes and much more during the last lockout? And maybe you don't remember what little that entire 8 months of being locked out actually got us?
Have some time

Toronto, Canada

#26 Apr 25, 2013
DoverDude wrote:
Idiots. don't know if you noticed but the economy still isn't all that great around here and there are actually tens of thousands of people across Ontario who would be happy to at least have a job.
Take the company's proposal and fight them hard in 3 years when the economy has improved and you actually have some leverage.
The union has lied to it's membership and for that they deserve to be voted out of their positions.
What lies are you referring to? You have been misinformed
mayday

Canada

#27 Apr 25, 2013
Not a White HAt wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope you find the respect your looking for behind the counter at Mcdonalds or Timmies making minimum wage. That's where were heading if we try and make demands on these guys, We are 5% of their steel capacity...they will shut us down and pick the slack up at one of their golden plated plants in the States. This is not Stelco anymore....time to wake up!
your just saying that because a bottom feeder like you would NEVER be able to hold a leadership position in a company owned by another Canadian..as they would be able to see that you would crawl over your dying sister to fornicate ur mother...
Hanky the christmas poo

Port Dover, Canada

#28 Apr 25, 2013
I shat in the showers
DoverDude

Cambridge, Canada

#29 Apr 25, 2013
Have some time wrote:
<quoted text>
What lies are you referring to? You have been misinformed
Oh please. You were at the meeting just as I was and the rhetoric that flowed from the Union was pure weapons grade bullshit. I especially enjoyed the old bugger the Union asked to sit in the back of the particular meeting I attended and go on and on about how if we accepted this agreement as is he stood to lose 30 grand or more a year. HA. What a bloody joke.
Face it guys. The Union simply doesn't want to lose the control that they had over the plant for 'lo these many years and will say and do anything to keep it from happening.
Mark my words. This isn't Stelco anymore and they are looking for any excuse to close this plant and shift production to the US.
buy canadian

Simcoe, Canada

#30 Apr 25, 2013
DoverDude wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh please. You were at the meeting just as I was and the rhetoric that flowed from the Union was pure weapons grade bullshit. I especially enjoyed the old bugger the Union asked to sit in the back of the particular meeting I attended and go on and on about how if we accepted this agreement as is he stood to lose 30 grand or more a year. HA. What a bloody joke.
Face it guys. The Union simply doesn't want to lose the control that they had over the plant for 'lo these many years and will say and do anything to keep it from happening.
Mark my words. This isn't Stelco anymore and they are looking for any excuse to close this plant and shift production to the US.
Well one thing you can do is wait couple of months when more people are starting to buckle and get people banded together to have the union hold another vote on the offer. I am sure there are quite a few talking tough now but soon they will be wishing they voted yes. This will not be a short lock out and people will start caving.
DoverDude

Brantford, Canada

#31 Apr 28, 2013
Great job guys. USS has been itching to close this plant for good and now 70% of our membership has handed them the excuse to do just that on a silver platter.

Ought to be fun watching the Union spin who's fault it is when they announce that L.E.W. is no more.
Just a Thought

Pittsburgh, PA

#32 Apr 28, 2013
buy canadian wrote:
<quoted text>Well one thing you can do is wait couple of months when more people are starting to buckle and get people banded together to have the union hold another vote on the offer. I am sure there are quite a few talking tough now but soon they will be wishing they voted yes. This will not be a short lock out and people will start caving.
What are you not understanding??? The OFFER IS GONE, NO MORE VOTES!!!!!!!!!!
buy canadian

Simcoe, Canada

#33 Apr 28, 2013
DoverDude wrote:
Great job guys. USS has been itching to close this plant for good and now 70% of our membership has handed them the excuse to do just that on a silver platter.
Ought to be fun watching the Union spin who's fault it is when they announce that L.E.W. is no more.
LEW will not close for good. They are on the hook until 2015. Also why would they spend millions upgrading the caster and blast furnace if that was their intention? They would have never done the work in the first place. Also they wouldn't have hot idled the coke ovens either, they would be shut right off.You are a fear mongerer who is kicking people that are already down. It will be a long one but its not permanent
this is ridiculous

Simcoe, Canada

#34 Apr 28, 2013
buy canadian wrote:
<quoted text>LEW will not close for good. They are on the hook until 2015. Also why would they spend millions upgrading the caster and blast furnace if that was their intention? They would have never done the work in the first place. Also they wouldn't have hot idled the coke ovens either, they would be shut right off.You are a fear mongerer who is kicking people that are already down. It will be a long one but its not permanent
oh yes, because lawsuits worked so well for the softwood lumber tarriff
Sigmund

Brantford, Canada

#35 Apr 28, 2013
buy canadian wrote:
<quoted text>LEW will not close for good. They are on the hook until 2015. Also why would they spend millions upgrading the caster and blast furnace if that was their intention? They would have never done the work in the first place. Also they wouldn't have hot idled the coke ovens either, they would be shut right off.You are a fear mongerer who is kicking people that are already down. It will be a long one but its not permanent
LOL! No. Not right away they won't. They'll string us along for a few months. Most likely until Prime Minister Harper and his wrecking crew take their summer break and then drop the bomb. USSteel could care less whether LEW stays online or not. All they wanted was to purchase their Canadian competition so they could shut it down and now our Union has done it for them. Way to go Ferg. Ace job Buddy.
little guy

Grimsby, Canada

#36 May 5, 2013
Voted yes and would do it again....in 2014:)
itsallover

Toronto, Canada

#37 May 7, 2013
Voting NO to the contract wrote:
Us Steel is succeeding at destroying the union at Lake Erie Works. They're trying to please just over 50% of the union (namely anyone with over 28 years service or anyone on the new plan) and force the contract. Unfortunately, by this topix page, it seems like it might go through. If it does, I think its a testament of how the majority of new hires don't care about their union brother working beside them.
I'd say that next contract if us steel offers them another 15 cents towards their defined pension they'll trade the benefits of the retirees.

Its already gone down the way you wanted but I just read this and I can't begin to describe how angry it makes me. I've got ten years in and I like my job. I wanted the job because I needed one and as a bon. it pats well. But I actually try and WORK for my paycheck. Unlike a great many with more years service who have grown comfortable doing absolutely nothing and thinking they deserve it. Your comment about union brothers makes me laugh. I hear the term thrown around by the 20+ year guys and I get lectured constantly about how hard they fought for what I get and how hard they worked. Well #1 every "brother" in there has only ever fought for themselves and what's best for their own future. The term "union brother" should be used only to describe the guy you screw on relief for the past 20 years.
itsallover

Toronto, Canada

#38 May 7, 2013
Anyone bashing new hires is obviously an
"Old boy" in the plant just soaking up money doing nothing, thinking this is like the old days when no one cared cuz you could walk down the street and get another good job with zero education. You have no right to point a finger at a new guy when it was this old mindset that tanked stelco in the first place.
Steel Needle

Toronto, Canada

#39 May 8, 2013
The old workers separated when the lockout was announced, the all retired
Steel Needle

Toronto, Canada

#40 May 8, 2013
One person got all the glory, political mileage and is in cahoots the company guess who?
flyonthewall

Hamilton, Canada

#41 May 8, 2013
Steel Needle wrote:
The old workers separated when the lockout was announced, the all retired
the pension fund is so underfunded that retirees will be lucky to get 55 percent. less if they bankrupt. uss must be pleased.
TRON

Stoney Creek, Canada

#42 May 9, 2013
Kaput wrote:
<quoted text>
Pardon me, respect is earned not just handed over. Look in the mirror any ask yourself this honest question. "DO I DESERVE THE WAY I AM BEING TREATED AND HOW DO I GET RESPECT"
Couldn't this notion of "deserving respect" be applied to BOTH sides???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stelco Lake Erie Works/US Steel Canada (Jul '09) 6 hr Bill Believer 24,276
Stelco Hilton Works/US Steel Canada (Jan '10) 7 hr 1005 paying due m... 16,178
Physical Mon Olivia Newton John 6
Pre-Employment Medical Test - NANTICOKE Feb 13 Stoner 12
application status Jan '17 REMORSEFUL 2
I NEED MY EX BACK CONTACT draigborspellhome.com (Nov '13) Dec '16 jane 10
transfer videos between android and computer (Sep '14) Dec '16 xnik 5
More from around the web