Would you accept U.S. Steels final pr...

Would you accept U.S. Steels final proposal? (Local 8782)

Created by Nanos on Apr 19, 2013

769 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Undecided

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Who dat

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#1 Apr 19, 2013
I'll take it, what are the options now. Strike pay of $250 a week or keep my paycheck. Even if they lay us off at least there is EI and the option of second careers.
lake guy

Simcoe, Canada

#2 Apr 19, 2013
gay. vote no.
degeshtingja

Simcoe, Canada

#3 Apr 19, 2013
Who dat wrote:
I'll take it, what are the options now. Strike pay of $250 a week or keep my paycheck. Even if they lay us off at least there is EI and the option of second careers.
nah we won't get laid off.
Seriously

Simcoe, Canada

#4 Apr 19, 2013
If you actually read the contract and consider what it's saying, it doesn't sound all that bad. I think people get too invested in company vs worker hype. Read it and make an informed decision for yourself. Compare what they are offering against what anyone you know is making or getting. Look at what you are actually losing. The only thing I didn't really like is their new job class system, but they have stated that they will remove that if it is a problem.
I'm not going to tell you how to vote, just use your head and vote for yourself.
laker

Toronto, Canada

#5 Apr 19, 2013
Read it fully dont like it all but was no where near as bad as what was explained at meeting. Tnx comitee for instilling an air of mistrust. I say yes now is not the time for a stand. And this is not a bad offer thays why i Leo stepped in.
welsh townsend

Hagersville, Canada

#6 Apr 19, 2013
no way am i voting for that shit. this company needs to show respect for us and this contract shows how controlling they want to be,
Not a White HAt

Fergus, Canada

#7 Apr 20, 2013
welsh townsend wrote:
no way am i voting for that shit. this company needs to show respect for us and this contract shows how controlling they want to be,
Hope you find the respect your looking for behind the counter at Mcdonalds or Timmies making minimum wage. That's where were heading if we try and make demands on these guys, We are 5% of their steel capacity...they will shut us down and pick the slack up at one of their golden plated plants in the States. This is not Stelco anymore....time to wake up!
Voting NO to the contract

Atikokan, Canada

#10 Apr 20, 2013
Us Steel is succeeding at destroying the union at Lake Erie Works. They're trying to please just over 50% of the union (namely anyone with over 28 years service or anyone on the new plan) and force the contract. Unfortunately, by this topix page, it seems like it might go through. If it does, I think its a testament of how the majority of new hires don't care about their union brother working beside them.
I'd say that next contract if us steel offers them another 15 cents towards their defined pension they'll trade the benefits of the retirees.
Radical

Brantford, Canada

#11 Apr 20, 2013
28 years, a no vote from me.
23 years and 5 weeks

Brantford, Canada

#12 Apr 21, 2013
got 19 years in and gonna be stuck with maxing out at 5 weeks. Ah well though, voting yes, prefer to keep the paycheck than wait around another 8 months, 12 months or whatever. they can afford to wait us out and starve us. not stelco anymore.
Vote No

Hagersville, Canada

#13 Apr 21, 2013
i am
Useless Steel

Canada

#14 Apr 22, 2013
No No No No No No........and NO!
Edd

Orangeville, Canada

#15 Apr 22, 2013
Useless Steel wrote:
No No No No No No........and NO!
Been here 2 yrs.....a definite yes vote! You oldtimers really need to get your head out of the sand and see the big picture!
Kaput

Pittsburgh, PA

#16 Apr 22, 2013
welsh townsend wrote:
Pardon me, respect is earned not just handed over. Look in the mirror any ask yourself this honest question. "DO I DESERVE THE WAY I AM BEING TREATED AND HOW DO I GET RESPECT"
Edd

Orangeville, Canada

#17 Apr 22, 2013
I wonder how many of these no voters would give their employees big raises and 100% benefit coverage,early retirement and 6 or 7 weeks holidays if they owned a company that was a money loser? My guess is none of them....although they might share a bonus during profitable times.
LEWser

Simcoe, Canada

#18 Apr 22, 2013
Seriously wrote:
If you actually read the contract and consider what it's saying, it doesn't sound all that bad. I think people get too invested in company vs worker hype. Read it and make an informed decision for yourself. Compare what they are offering against what anyone you know is making or getting. Look at what you are actually losing. The only thing I didn't really like is their new job class system, but they have stated that they will remove that if it is a problem.
I'm not going to tell you how to vote, just use your head and vote for yourself.
Well said...it's really not that bad an offer
Kress Driver

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#19 Apr 22, 2013
LEWser wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said...it's really not that bad an offer
I'm taking the offer who cares what the old guys say.
who took my pitas

Brampton, Canada

#20 Apr 22, 2013
Ill vote when someone tells me who took my pitas
who melted the cheese

Brampton, Canada

#21 Apr 23, 2013
who took my pitas wrote:
Ill vote when someone tells me who took my pitas
I took your pitas and melted the cheese!!!
eddy

Port Dover, Canada

#22 Apr 24, 2013
if their is a lockout/strike uss will be letting go or laying off many of their salaried employees, so as we work without a contract the salaried employees will be on the lookout for the smallest violation by the hourly workers to report.it may make them look good. it will be very difficult working without a contract in this environment. so just do what is asked of you and try not to stir anything up well we are working without a contract. iam sure uss will send a directive to make an example of someone and it will be one of the perceived shit disturbers. watch you back and your fellow employees back. NO RATTING and NO lovey dovey with those white hats.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stelco Hilton Works/US Steel Canada (Jan '10) 7 hr Godfather Mario L... 15,946
Stelco Lake Erie Works/US Steel Canada (Jul '09) 7 hr CockROACH Repellent 23,899
Keetec Chat (Nov '09) Jul '16 Ranger 1 111
New Steelworker (Jan '12) Jul '16 Imaginethat 93
The Good and Bad about US Steel (Jan '11) Jun '16 really 63
News China's Hebei Iron & Steel says U.S. probe dama... Jun '16 marpy 1
More from around the web