Stelco Hilton Works/US Steel Canada
Laker

Hamilton, Canada

#13684 Aug 22, 2012
Transfered up to the lake from Hilton works is the best thing I ever did! With 12 years service in Hamilton it was a hard decision. But I kept my vacation and time served, and ya I had to start at the bottom as far as seniority. But in the next year over half my dept will be retiring and I will end up in a better seniority spot than I was in Hamilton! Life is good!
1005 is a joke, there selling you guys out worse than USS! Wake up and get out while you can!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
lew slave

Waterloo, Canada

#13685 Aug 22, 2012
Laker wrote:
Transfered up to the lake from Hilton works is the best thing I ever did! With 12 years service in Hamilton it was a hard decision. But I kept my vacation and time served, and ya I had to start at the bottom as far as seniority. But in the next year over half my dept will be retiring and I will end up in a better seniority spot than I was in Hamilton! Life is good!
1005 is a joke, there selling you guys out worse than USS! Wake up and get out while you can!
You may be in a worse spot in the next year. Our contract expires in May and we could be locked out again. USS will probably want more consessions.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Laker

Hamilton, Canada

#13686 Aug 22, 2012
lew slave wrote:
<quoted text>You may be in a worse spot in the next year. Our contract expires in May and we could be locked out again. USS will probably want more consessions.
No worse a spot than in hamilton. Lake go's out hamilton's done as well.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
lew slave

Waterloo, Canada

#13687 Aug 22, 2012
Laker wrote:
<quoted text>
No worse a spot than in hamilton. Lake go's out hamilton's done as well.
i know no one on here cares about my opinion but this is my prediction. I think when our contract expires in May USS is going to try and cut maximum vacation from 7 weeks to 5, get rid of the 15 week pre-retirement vacation pay and probably make us pay more of our benefits. Being a steelworker with a young family to feed, I could live with that. Can't afford to lose a $31 an hour job when there are few prospects available in todays economy. I hear unions say fight the good fight but the world is changing and these big companys have the ability to keep us out or just mothball plants to get what they want. USS is as ignorant as they come and they piss me off to no end but after the last lockout/layoff I am just thankful to have a job at all.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Derek

Scarborough, Canada

#13688 Aug 23, 2012
U.S. Steel plans hiring blitz

U. S. Steel has recalled all of its laid off Hamilton employees and plans to hire “north of 100” more.

http://www.thespec.com/news/business/article/...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
NonBootlicker

Severn, Canada

#13689 Aug 29, 2012
lew slave wrote:
<quoted text>You may be in a worse spot in the next year. Our contract expires in May and we could be locked out again. USS will probably want more consessions.
Be wise, not fearful. Market conditions are much better now. USS certainly enjoys, if not actively promotes fearmongering. Come May, tell 'em to take a long hard suck on the stubby end of your bladder.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#13690 Sep 2, 2012
Cold Mill oldy

Stoney Creek, Canada

#13691 Sep 3, 2012
USW, US Steel reach tentative deal; ArcelorMittal in talks

US Steel announced yesterday it has reached a tentative three-year collective bargaining agreement with the United Steelworkers union (USW) covering roughly 16,000 USW-represented employees at the company's domestic flatrolled and iron ore mining facilities, as well as tubular operations in Lorain, Ohio, and Fairfield, Alabama.

The Pittsburgh-based steelmaker also said its US Steel Tubular Products subsidiary reached a tentative agreement with the USW covering about 1,000 employees at its Texas operations division - a welded tubes facility in Lone Star, Texas.
Derek

Cambridge, Canada

#13692 Sep 4, 2012
http://local1013.org/1013blog/category/negoti...

USW Presidents vote to send the agreement to the members for
ratification. Unanimous -all voting yes. We have an agreement worth
over $200 million in wages and benefits. The company tried to get us to
agree to a substantial premium per month for our health care package which would increase any time the cost increased. Our negotiating team held out and now we have a fair package.We can look forward to a signing bonus, wage increases, and a bonus during the three year term of this contract proposal.

Three year Agreement, No premium for healthcare, a $2000 signing bonus at ratification of the contract, a 2% raise due September 1, 2013, a $500 bonus April 2014, and 2.5% raise in January 2015.

Be proud that your negotiating team stood firm for our Retirees. They came out good as well on their healthcare.
Also Profit sharing is better. No caps. The Kosice Mill is no longer included in
calculation.
We were able to get some language changes that our Local really fought for that will make life at work easier for us all. There will be a special meeting called to discuss the details and answer questions we all may have. Check back with your union steward or on the Local1013.org website for the meeting time. Each member will receive their own copy of the tentative agreement to read and ballot to vote. These will arrive in the mail.

Good job guys.
spike mill guy

Hamilton, Canada

#13693 Sep 8, 2012
USS buys STELCO and promises the CANADIAN GOVT uss will employ 3000 workers and make millions of tons of steel and announces that USS will make good on the pensions of STELCO pensioners....and after all these lies our elected leader STEPHEN HARPER says...OH GEE WIZZ THAT DIDNT GO VERY WELL.......
caster guy

Stoney Creek, Canada

#13694 Sep 9, 2012
Derek wrote:
http://local1013.org/1013blog/ category/negotiations/
USW Presidents vote to send the agreement to the members for
ratification. Unanimous -all voting yes. We have an agreement worth
over $200 million in wages and benefits. The company tried to get us to
agree to a substantial premium per month for our health care package which would increase any time the cost increased. Our negotiating team held out and now we have a fair package.We can look forward to a signing bonus, wage increases, and a bonus during the three year term of this contract proposal.
Three year Agreement, No premium for healthcare, a $2000 signing bonus at ratification of the contract, a 2% raise due September 1, 2013, a $500 bonus April 2014, and 2.5% raise in January 2015.
Be proud that your negotiating team stood firm for our Retirees. They came out good as well on their healthcare.
Also Profit sharing is better. No caps. The Kosice Mill is no longer included in
calculation.
We were able to get some language changes that our Local really fought for that will make life at work easier for us all. There will be a special meeting called to discuss the details and answer questions we all may have. Check back with your union steward or on the Local1013.org website for the meeting time. Each member will receive their own copy of the tentative agreement to read and ballot to vote. These will arrive in the mail.
Good job guys.
We were out for a year with the "JUST SAY NO" strategy, I think we should let the National USW actually negotiate for us from now on.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Derek

Port Dover, Canada

#13695 Sep 12, 2012
Get ready for a CAW strike! I'm sure that this will end up causing layoffs at US Steel.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
wtf

Hamilton, Canada

#13696 Sep 16, 2012
anyone else hear the rumor that the people needed to actually start the blast furnace where informed to be ready for a march relaunch?? Just the latest rumour!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Dick Wadd

Waterford, Canada

#13697 Sep 16, 2012
And do tell where they would find the manpower to light/run a BF? They just had another failed job fair as far as trades go.
wtf wrote:
anyone else hear the rumor that the people needed to actually start the blast furnace where informed to be ready for a march relaunch?? Just the latest rumour!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
scabby joe

Canada

#13698 Sep 26, 2012
1005 is done...
might as well join piano tuners local 234

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Not a Chance

Dundas, Canada

#13699 Sep 27, 2012
why would they start that place up, they are just starting to make a profit, they don't need to lose a million dollars a day running that dump. The lake make the profits for canada.
wtf wrote:
Stin K Poo

Hamilton, Canada

#13700 Sep 27, 2012
Rolf will ride in on his horse and buggy to save the day.
Jake

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#13701 Sep 28, 2012
Stin K Poo wrote:
Rolf will ride in on his horse and buggy to save the day.
LoL that is so true.
Derek

Port Dover, Canada

#13702 Sep 28, 2012
Not a Chance wrote:
why would they start that place up, they are just starting to make a profit, they don't need to lose a million dollars a day running that dump. The lake make the profits for canada.
<quoted text>
The lake's profits wouldn't look very good if they didn't have the finishing operations in Hamilton to send the Hot Rolled coils to. It would have a useless Hot Strip Mill and be praying for a market for slabs only. For the most part, a hot strip mill and continuous pickle line in Hamilton would make LEW rather useless and likewise, a cold mill and galv lines LEW would render Hamilton to be useless.As for today,LEW and Hamilton definitley need each other.
Cold Mill oldy

Stoney Creek, Canada

#13703 Sep 29, 2012
See how bargaining pays and "JUST SAY NO" gets 1005 bitch slapped . Thanks Rolf.

Union ratifies U.S. Steel's 4.5 pct wage rise over 3 years

Sept 28 | Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:56pm EDT

(Reuters)- Members of United Steelworkers (USW) on Friday ratified a contract with U.S. Steel that gives 16,000 workers at the company's U.S. facilities a 4.5 percent increase in wages over the next three years.

U.S. Steel said the financial impact of the new contracts, including a separate agreement with 1,000 employees at U.S. Steel Tubular Products Inc's Texas facility, would be felt in the third quarter, with a $35 million pre-tax charge for lump sum payments.

USW International Vice President Tom Conway, who led the negotiations for the union, called the agreement fair for workers and retirees, adding that the latter would have their health care benefits protected. "Both sides should be proud of the work they have done," Conway said in a statement.

The USW, which also represents 14,000 steelworkers at 15 ArcelorMittal U.S. facilities, reached a tentative three-year contract with the world's largest steelmaker earlier this month.

The USW represents a total of about 850,000 workers in the United States, Canada and the Caribbean.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stelco Lake Erie Works/US Steel Canada (Jul '09) Sep 21 Mary Jane 24,505
join the great illuminati brotherhood be rich a... Aug 26 Illuminati 1
US Steel physical and drug test taking to long!... (Mar '17) Jun '17 NoKingButChrist 37
News Daniel Beiser (May '08) Jun '17 Granite Hard Forever 2
More from around the web