Stelco Hilton Works/US Steel Canada
Tommy DisCool

Hamilton, Canada

#11509 Oct 5, 2011
US Steel cannot layoff 750 employees without giving the government proper notice. I think up to 500 people legally requires 8 week’s notice, and over 500 requires 16 weeks notice.

The employee must be given layoff notice in writing.

E.I. can rule whatever they want, and their rulings can be politically motivated, but a court of law is different. I think the courts would rule this was “clearly” a lockout and not a layoff.

NOW SHOW ME YOUR LAY-OFF NOTICE FROM US STEEL? READ IT - WHAT DOES IT SAY, WHEN WAS IT DATED AND WHO SIGNED IT?
A WORKING STELCO BROTHER

Hamilton, Canada

#11510 Oct 5, 2011
It Sucks wrote:
<quoted text>
Harsco was replaced by Tubecity two years ago. You might have been away for this long. Tubecity won the contract and was servicing hamilton work. they had hired people from harsco thats why many people never noticed the difference. But it was Tubecity all along.
Well what ever you think my friend.
A WORKING STELCO BROTHER

Hamilton, Canada

#11511 Oct 5, 2011
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the auto industry is booming ahead, and getting steel from other sources that don't need it from the Hamilton plant. There seems to be no shortange of steel supplies from other cities.
Here is another tidbit of information. aker-kvaerner-songer construction has just laid of 60 trades people from a job over at Dofasco. AMD has just announced that a multi million dollar expansion processing line has been postponed until 2012 as a result of the softening steel market. AMD has announced the plan to go to a 32 hr work week also due to the market conditions.

People, I will say it again Hilton Works is in for another long winter. Thanks Rolf.
A WORKING STELCO BROTHER

Hamilton, Canada

#11512 Oct 5, 2011
Mike1 wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong.
I let a Harsco{Heckett} Manager in the gates this morning . They were NOT out 2 years ago who do you think supplies the Kress carriers we drive?? I asked this guy this morning and he said their contract is up in December
. Other than that that's all he knew or wold say.
Thank you.
A WORKING STELCO BROTHER

Hamilton, Canada

#11513 Oct 5, 2011
Derek wrote:
Cami in Ingersoll is hiring 100 new employees. And here we have a booming automotive market and the Z-line just sits. On the other hand, everyone else in the steel and auto business is busy making good money! Just think , if 1005 settled today it would only have cost the members about $50,000. Actually less with EI and strike pay. Is it worth it?
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2011/10/05...
As I have stated, USS Pro-Tec is planning on building another Z line to bring the plant up to 3.

http://www.proteccoating.com/home.htm
Mike1

Oakville, Canada

#11514 Oct 5, 2011
Tommy DisCool wrote:
US Steel cannot layoff 750 employees without giving the government proper notice. I think up to 500 people legally requires 8 week’s notice, and over 500 requires 16 weeks notice.
E.I. can rule whatever they want, and their rulings can be politically motivated, but a court of law is different. I think the courts would rule this was “clearly” a lockout and not a layoff.
NOW SHOW ME YOUR LAY-OFF NOTICE FROM US STEEL? READ IT - WHAT DOES IT SAY, WHEN WAS IT DATED AND WHO SIGNED IT?
Hey stupid, layoff notices are sent directly to the Union, likewise with our records of employment .
Reality check

Hamilton, Canada

#11515 Oct 5, 2011
A WORKING STELCO BROTHER wrote:
<quoted text>
As I have stated, USS Pro-Tec is planning on building another Z line to bring the plant up to 3.
Ford is also adding a slew of new hires to their plants in the USA.NOT CANADA, the USA.

Would it not make sense for steel industries to see this and forecast accordingly? Could this be a part,going forward, of Obama's BUY AMERICAN scam.

Yet Forbes magazine states CANADA is the #1 place to invest and build in,thanks to, of all things the HST.
You can't buy a break in this city.
Dan

Niagara Falls, NY

#11516 Oct 5, 2011
<quoted text>
Leipsic Ohio is serving the Detroit area not Ontario. Please explain. USS will ship from southern Ohio to fill orders?
Tommy DisCool

Hamilton, Canada

#11517 Oct 5, 2011
Mike1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey stupid, layoff notices are sent directly to the Union, likewise with our records of employment .
Should be easy enough for you to produce the notice then. When was it dated and who signed it?
1234xyz

Pittsburgh, PA

#11518 Oct 5, 2011
?
Mike1

Oakville, Canada

#11519 Oct 5, 2011
Tommy DisCool wrote:
<quoted text>
Should be easy enough for you to produce the notice then. When was it dated and who signed it?
Now just why would I produce or prove ANYTHING to a sack of crap like you that welch's on his bets ?? Get lost idiot.
Come to the picket line tomorrow at 10 am introduce yourself and I'll give you the notice alright.
cant fix stupid

Hamilton, Canada

#11521 Oct 5, 2011
1234xyz wrote:
?
Beep Beep
Tims Takes Applications

Hamilton, Canada

#11522 Oct 5, 2011
BS On Parade wrote:
<quoted text>
You should read the history of US Steel. Its brutal. Even times when workers were shot.
Ahh, the Good Old Days..:)
Derek

Scarborough, Canada

#11523 Oct 5, 2011
Tommy DisCool wrote:
If this did go to court and it was ruled a lockout I wonder if it would change things with Employment Canada. They have the ability to reverse a previous ruling and have 7 years to do it. They could ask for all EI payments to be paid back in full. Let's hope that that never happens!
Tims Takes Applications

Hamilton, Canada

#11524 Oct 5, 2011
Derek wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that there are companies ( Canadian too!) that would love to purchase the finishing lines. If Protec, Ohio which is all finishing is so profitable, there is no reason a finishing operation in Hamilton would not succeed as well.
Maybe under Protec, not with the poor production rates we had in the past. It was a Country Club, and it won't survive like that. What do you think Rolf would ask for if they told him they want the Finishing End alone?? The Holy Grail?
cant fix stupid

Hamilton, Canada

#11525 Oct 5, 2011
Tims Takes Applications wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh, the Good Old Days..:)
Spirit of 46
Tims Takes Applications

Hamilton, Canada

#11526 Oct 5, 2011
BS On Parade wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why did they call ? Because they care ?
They need sonething from us even if its just a
signature. Well there going to have to ante up id they want mine. I'm no fool $$$
Oh, I'd say you've proven beyond a doubt that you are. There's no doubt US Steel wants the finishing end running. But not at any cost, and surely not after your mindboggled president (read Dictator), went back with demands.. Like it or not, US Steel will never bow to any unions arrogance. Either they work with them, or they will cease to exist. Fools rush over the cliff, and call themselves brave.. Unless you're willing to step off the cliff to save everyone else.. You are a fool. this ain't a poker game dumbass, they won't ante up. How long will it take until you figure that out?
Tims Takes Applications

Hamilton, Canada

#11527 Oct 5, 2011
cant fix stupid wrote:
<quoted text> Spirit of 46
LOL, yes "Spirit of 46". A slogan to prove how relevant this Union Exec really is...
Derek

Scarborough, Canada

#11528 Oct 5, 2011
<quoted text>
I have heard they are expanding but never heard a word about any z line. Maybe you can find it in past press releases?
Derek

Scarborough, Canada

#11529 Oct 5, 2011
Tims Takes Applications wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I'd say you've proven beyond a doubt that you are. There's no doubt US Steel wants the finishing end running. But not at any cost, and surely not after your mindboggled president (read Dictator), went back with demands.. Like it or not, US Steel will never bow to any unions arrogance. Either they work with them, or they will cease to exist. Fools rush over the cliff, and call themselves brave.. Unless you're willing to step off the cliff to save everyone else.. You are a fool. this ain't a poker game dumbass, they won't ante up. How long will it take until you figure that out?

I think they want the finishing running. Why wouldn't they? It would enable the Lake Erie Hot Strip Mill to run closer to capacity and would also enable the pickling lines to run to capacity while serving the auto market and others with top quality steel.They can also try to pick up more customers with the Z-line actually running. The steelmaking will come later when the market picks up to higher levels. You can't force them to make steel " just because".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stelco Lake Erie Works/US Steel Canada (Jul '09) Aug 12 pensioner 24,494
want to be rich and famous Aug 8 Seville 3
US Steel physical and drug test taking to long!... Jun '17 NoKingButChrist 37
News Daniel Beiser (May '08) Jun '17 Granite Hard Forever 2
the pre-employment drug test!!!! (Jun '11) May '17 Slime 9
Work hours Apr '17 Us steel 5
Why is U.S. Steel buying slabs from a competitor? Apr '17 Speedy Gonzales 6
More from around the web