Stelco Lake Erie Works/US Steel Canada
Dave

Hamilton, Canada

#9964 Apr 27, 2013
Does U.S. Steel cover your benefits when your locked out?

Since: Apr 13

simcoe

#9965 Apr 27, 2013
Dave wrote:
nope
Proud LEW

Simcoe, Canada

#9966 Apr 27, 2013
Dave wrote:
yeah, but it's 100% copay from you with a yearly out-of-pocket maximum of infinity dollars. Good luck.
Proud LEW

Simcoe, Canada

#9967 Apr 27, 2013
How many of you guys would have taken that final offer from the company if the broadbanding was removed and/or better explained or tweaked? Please answer honestly
8782 Worker

Hamilton, Canada

#9968 Apr 27, 2013
You Should Have Voted Yes wrote:
<quoted text>
NO!!! We started the lockout with a 70% NO vote. What option did we leave them?? Soft steel market and most of the plant idle the writing was pretty much on the wall. All your questions should be directed to the Pres of the union and the committee
Our president and the negotiating did exactly what we the membership told them to do. We voted it down. 70% said no, we do not want to work under those terms.
Jodi etal had an opportunity to discuss the result and opted to lock us out. Seems they are the problem
8782 Worker

Hamilton, Canada

#9969 Apr 27, 2013
Standbehindmyman wrote:
<quoted text>
If you guys are serious here, the only way you are gonna get another chance is to get to the company. Call the radio, newspapers and tv stations. Gather as many people ad you can and rally outside the gates to show the company you want to work and are willing to take SOME concessions. Taking action is the only way to make a statement.
Sorry Stand, I support my local and my committee. it is now Jodi's turn to discuss the contract and how it can be tailored so 50%+1 will accept it. I did not like that contract and I voted no.
Proud LEW

Simcoe, Canada

#9970 Apr 27, 2013
If the company was just honest (which believe me, I know that's asking a lot) and told us that we all had to take a few concessions to keep the place viable and competitive and that it would keep our jobs...I'm sure we all would have helped out. Also, I voted to have a longer contract as I'm sure most of the guys did because we know we'll be doing this crap every friggin 3 years...why the hell did this become a 3 year contract? Who in their right mind want to do this every 3 years? Let's hope the next contract is 20 years.
8782 Worker

Hamilton, Canada

#9971 Apr 27, 2013
Realist wrote:
<quoted text>
The union could contact USS or the mediator.
The Union did contact the mediator. He said the company will have a response in the morning, it was the lockout letter. Nice way to negotiate
buy canadian

Canada

#9972 Apr 27, 2013
Proud LEW wrote:
How many of you guys would have taken that final offer from the company if the broadbanding was removed and/or better explained or tweaked? Please answer honestly
I would have taken it even with the broadbanding. being honest.
this is ridiculous

Simcoe, Canada

#9973 Apr 27, 2013
uhg... let me spell it out. this broadbanding was left in purposely by the union. they already told the members and the media they had 99.6% in an obviously biased open floor vote. it would look extremely bad for our committee, the 8782 and unions in general, if that contract passed.

this is why you're losing your house
this is ridiculous

Simcoe, Canada

#9974 Apr 27, 2013
8782 Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
The Union did contact the mediator. He said the company will have a response in the morning, it was the lockout letter. Nice way to negotiate
haha, werent we planning a strike just days earlier? nice way to negotiate
Really

Hamilton, Canada

#9975 Apr 27, 2013
Proud LEW wrote:
If the company was just honest (which believe me, I know that's asking a lot) and told us that we all had to take a few concessions to keep the place viable and competitive and that it would keep our jobs...I'm sure we all would have helped out. Also, I voted to have a longer contract as I'm sure most of the guys did because we know we'll be doing this crap every friggin 3 years...why the hell did this become a 3 year contract? Who in their right mind want to do this every 3 years? Let's hope the next contract is 20 years.
You really think so? I think that's a little bit of a stretch.
Proud LEW

Simcoe, Canada

#9976 Apr 27, 2013
buy canadian wrote:
<quoted text>I would have taken it even with the broadbanding. being honest.
me too...i just can't see why people don't realize that they'll be taking this contract as is 6 to 12 months down the road...seems like a lot of money to throw away for nothing...maybe everyone's rich that works there??
1005 proud

Waterloo, Canada

#9977 Apr 27, 2013
8782 Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
We had an offer we where stupid to turn it down and now we must wait for a considerable amount of time to get another offer. The company played their hand and we followed with ours.
Dave

Hamilton, Canada

#9978 Apr 27, 2013
Standbehindmyman wrote:
<quoted text>nope
Medication?
Dental Root Canal?
Kid tears A.C.L. brace 1500 dollars.
Really rolling the dice by turning it down.
Dave

Hamilton, Canada

#9979 Apr 27, 2013
The union should of put it to you.
Do you want to work Vote: yes
Don't want to work: Vote: no
concerned wife

Pickering, Canada

#9980 Apr 27, 2013
Is it too late for me to change my husbands vote?
concerned wife

Pickering, Canada

#9981 Apr 27, 2013
Fine. Don't answer my question. Little Guy won't admit it..But yes. I wear the pants in this family. And they won't be coming off any time soon!!!!
Dave

Hamilton, Canada

#9982 Apr 27, 2013
concerned wife wrote:
Is it too late for me to change my husbands vote?
Didn't you change him when you got married?
You walked down the AISLE
Stood before the ALTAR
And he married YOU
Or in other words
I'LL ALTER U.
Greasy Swede

Toronto, Canada

#9983 Apr 27, 2013
To all you Salary posters ( I know there are more than a few of you ) How long do you think all of you are going to stay doing firewatch? Hilton can only take so many of you guys what are they going to do with the rest of you ?
Remember the last lock out and the Great Salary Purge ? Look to your left then to your right , odds are one of you will be gone . You'll get a nice little buy out , but the market is soft good luck getting another job. If we are really losing money you really think they are just going to stop at locking us out. So when you look in a mirror, check that smug look you'll want to get rid of it for the job search.
It's too bad I didn't get to say goodbye to some of you because when we get back ( sooner or later) alot of you will be gone. Maybe they will let you keep your white hat !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stelco Hilton Works/US Steel Canada (Jan '10) 1 hr Howe spokesman 16,399
US Steel physical and drug test taking to long!... 19 hr NoKingButChrist 37
News Daniel Beiser (May '08) Jun 21 Granite Hard Forever 2
the pre-employment drug test!!!! (Jun '11) May '17 Slime 9
Work hours Apr '17 Us steel 5
Why is U.S. Steel buying slabs from a competitor? Apr '17 Speedy Gonzales 6
News Stock Jumping Abnormally High: United States St... Mar '17 Alternate Truth Inc 1
More from around the web