Stelco Lake Erie Works/US Steel Canada

Since: Apr 13

simcoe

#9942 Apr 27, 2013
buy canadian wrote:
<quoted text>I agree there was unanswered questions. The offer wasn't terrible but it could have been better. From i gather the company was willing to drop the job restructuring. If we can get everything from the offer back on the table with the exception of broadbanding and the ability to grieve it could pass. Again why not try to get it back now then waste several months and accept it anyways?
Like I said, I dont get to vote but I think if us steel is willing to consider those 2 things, there may be a chance it would pass. Too bad you can't just talk to the company. Call your union hall or go there.
Jack

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#9943 Apr 27, 2013
Standbehindmyman wrote:
I see a lot of vehicles with the us steel mirror tags going past my place. Headed to the hall?
Maybe headed to Hamilton ....some salary staff already been re-located down there (my brother is one of them)
8782 worker

Hamilton, Canada

#9944 Apr 27, 2013
Standbehindmyman wrote:
If the offer were back on the table, which I highly doubt, it would be the responsibility of the union to immediately let the members know. There's nothing on the union site about it and theres been no phone ringing here. But, if it is up for a vote again the union is dragging their heels and not doing their job.
It is up to the company now to approach the mediator to ask for a new vote. Local 8782 turned down the "final offer". Out of 8782's hands until USSC approached the local and asks to restart the talks.
8782 worker

Hamilton, Canada

#9945 Apr 27, 2013
buy canadian wrote:
<quoted text>I agree there was unanswered questions. The offer wasn't terrible but it could have been better. From i gather the company was willing to drop the job restructuring. If we can get everything from the offer back on the table with the exception of broadbanding and the ability to grieve it could pass. Again why not try to get it back now then waste several months and accept it anyways?
Call Jodi and ask her, she is the one who didn't return to the table and started the lockout. Not our Union.
Kingnothing

Severn, Canada

#9947 Apr 27, 2013
They said in the letter that they would negotiate on the broadbanding, everyone hated the broadbanding and voted because of that one reason.

So why are they not going to negotiate one that one part of the contract?

simcoe

#9948 Apr 27, 2013
8782 worker wrote:
<quoted text>
It is up to the company now to approach the mediator to ask for a new vote. Local 8782 turned down the "final offer". Out of 8782's hands until USSC approached the local and asks to restart the talks.
If you guys are serious here, the only way you are gonna get another chance is to get to the company. Call the radio, newspapers and tv stations. Gather as many people ad you can and rally outside the gates to show the company you want to work and are willing to take SOME concessions. Taking action is the only way to make a statement.
You Should Have Voted Yes

Brantford, Canada

#9949 Apr 27, 2013
8782 worker wrote:
<quoted text>
Call Jodi and ask her, she is the one who didn't return to the table and started the lockout. Not our Union.
NO!!! We started the lockout with a 70% NO vote. What option did we leave them?? Soft steel market and most of the plant idle the writing was pretty much on the wall. All your questions should be directed to the Pres of the union and the committee
Edd

Orangeville, Canada

#9950 Apr 27, 2013
It probably wont matter anyways. Great Lakes has been contracted to supply steel to Hamilton for 12 months. I'm looking for another job and I seriously doubt that I will ever come back here.
oh boy

Pickering, Canada

#9951 Apr 27, 2013
LMFAO. Gates not even locked yet.
Why did you turn down the offer if this is how you really feel. Bullied by the denture crowd? I think not. You made your choice! Now live with it.
Make the call

Stoney Creek, Canada

#9952 Apr 27, 2013
So u are saying the union couldn't call US Steel and say the members would like a vote again on same offer? This can't be answered before the lockout?

Wow. This is a very sad day. I am so disappointed
ppl will be losing their source of income today and their debt / credit are at risk.

I feel bullied out. The was my only source of income

Good luck both Teams. I wish u all luck.
8782 proud

Hamilton, Canada

#9953 Apr 27, 2013
8782 worker wrote:
<quoted text>
People get over it the broad banding is staying as every sister plant has it, including Hamilton.

Lets except this contract.

simcoe

#9954 Apr 27, 2013
oh boy wrote:
Why did you turn down the offer if this is how you really feel. Bullied by the denture crowd? I think not. You made your choice! Now live with it.
Probably because they figured they could negotiate something a little more fair. I think both the company and the union dropped the ball here.

simcoe

#9955 Apr 27, 2013
One thing I cannot stand about some of the people posting on here is the lack of compassion for others feelings and others right to express themselves. If you're on here just to rub in the obvious and be a total douche, then why bother. Our blood is boiling enough without your added bullish*t.
8782 proud

Hamilton, Canada

#9956 Apr 27, 2013
Kingnothing wrote:
They said in the letter that they would negotiate on the broadbanding, everyone hated the broadbanding and voted because of that one reason.
So why are they not going to negotiate one that one part of the contract?
Stop with the effen broadbanding shit, we will need it and we will have it. ALL THE PLANTS HAVE IT. If I am out because of this one item I will go nuts on the picket line. Look out!!
oh boy

Pickering, Canada

#9957 Apr 27, 2013
What don't you understand? Union membership voted majority NO. You can't have a do over on the same offer! Wait now till next offer.
Realist

Orlando, FL

#9958 Apr 27, 2013
Make the call wrote:
So u are saying the union couldn't call US Steel and say the members would like a vote again on same offer? This can't be answered before the lockout?
Wow. This is a very sad day. I am so disappointed
ppl will be losing their source of income today and their debt / credit are at risk.
I feel bullied out. The was my only source of income
Good luck both Teams. I wish u all luck.
The union could contact USS or the mediator.
Just Saying

Severn, Canada

#9959 Apr 27, 2013
Sorry if I hurt most of the posters feelings here by calling you stupid, I thought you already new.

simcoe

#9960 Apr 27, 2013
Just Saying wrote:
Sorry if I hurt most of the posters feelings here by calling you stupid, I thought you already new.
Wow! Good for you, you got that right off of Facebook. Original - Just Sayin'!
buy canadian

Simcoe, Canada

#9961 Apr 27, 2013
oh boy wrote:
I voted for the contract.
Proud LEW

Simcoe, Canada

#9963 Apr 27, 2013
8782 proud wrote:
<quoted text>
who said the last one was illegal, 8782? Any employer has the right to work towards what they feel is in the best interest of their company. We do it in our personal lives, don't we.
Also everybody was told this was a final offer, but this dam union kept up the rhetoric about another one was coming. No hashing and now no work. very stupid advice from Fergie.
I feel the problem here is that both presidents have lost touch with reality and live in the old Stelco days and have not adapted to the USS way. They have met their match and now have an opponent that likes to fight and will do what ever to make their point. Its their time to move on and let a younger leader step in who is more in touch with the times. OLD FARTS move on please for all our sakes.
let's just hope it's not Randy Graham...he's the biggest reason we're out now. The no concession thing is a bunch of crap...we all know that we'll be signing the same contract that we all just turned down. Throwing away a year's salary for nothing...GOOD PLAN

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stelco Hilton Works/US Steel Canada (Jan '10) Mon The Urinenator 16,453
Stelco Hamilton May 19 Cheech and Chong 2
Pre-Employment Medical Test - NANTICOKE (Jan '17) May 18 scared peeless 14