Stelco Lake Erie Works/US Steel Canada
Rick Preston

Windsor, Canada

#9841 Apr 26, 2013
1005 proud wrote:
<quoted text>
The charter of rights! If you look in your own current contract book you will see the company curently has the right to schedule due to qualification. So really nothing has changed except the language.
First of all US Steel failed to print the Lakes last agreement.

However, there is nothing in Section 8 Training or Item 8 which inhibits this flexibility, in fact they provide a detailed process which every one can understand and help identify training needs a year before vacations are booked to provide coverage.

The substantive difference is seniority rights and dealing with the union.

I know, I wrote it and negotiated it.

Rick
8782 Proud

Kitchener, Canada

#9842 Apr 26, 2013
ITS Over wrote:
The International tried to help they even warned fergie that the plant may close
look at the white hats, no bluster there, they're worried too
no freezer trucks no cots being delivered, no supplies, all this stuff came in last time before lockout
They were hooking up some sort of trailer with 4 or 5 large propane tanks. This was while I was leaving today through the Main Gate. The trailer was on the North side of General Stores.
retired hamilton

Hamilton, Canada

#9843 Apr 26, 2013
What was so horrible about the contract?
Proud LEW

Simcoe, Canada

#9844 Apr 26, 2013
Let's face it...the company did not explain this "broadbanding" so well (and I guess our union didn't either)...they should have explained it better or taken it right out of the contract like the cover letter said they would have. And if the company was trying to sell this contract, why the hell would they pick Jodi and Beverly to stand at the gate as saleswomen...two of the most hated people in the plant (both from the union side and company side)...doesn't make sense still
Rudy destilio

Severn, Canada

#9845 Apr 26, 2013
Pete McGregor wrote:
Good to see you on here Rick. Has been a little bit and you have been missed. We should do coffee soon.
Ewe fu poo poo what the fu not a good fit. Ugh
John Surma

Woodstock, Canada

#9846 Apr 26, 2013
1005 proud wrote:
<quoted text>
Please understand our employer has many plants which can make up for LEW and HW. The US plants are well below copacity and will now gear up before there is any hot melt in Canada.
8782 you sealed USSC fate. Thx's so much.
...GLW in Ecourse is supply Atlas Tube in Harrow already since last week.That was a lot of work for LEW.
retired hamilton

Hamilton, Canada

#9847 Apr 26, 2013
Proud LEW wrote:
Let's face it...the company did not explain this "broadbanding" so well (and I guess our union didn't either)...they should have explained it better or taken it right out of the contract like the cover letter said they would have. And if the company was trying to sell this contract, why the hell would they pick Jodi and Beverly to stand at the gate as saleswomen...two of the most hated people in the plant (both from the union side and company side)...doesn't make sense still
Maybe ask someone from Hamilton Works how it's worked out.
TimsTakesApplica tions

Canada

#9848 Apr 26, 2013
LEW Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a piece of work. Do nothing but bitch moan and whine then say the trustees are liars. You make me sick. The ballots are still there, ask for a recount. Remember, take your boots off so you can get past ten
Don't worry, by the time there's another vote, there won't be near as many people to cast one. The counting should be easy.. 6-2 in favour.
Buzz Hargrove

Woodstock, Canada

#9849 Apr 26, 2013
Rick Preston wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all US Steel failed to print the Lakes last agreement.

Rick
..So whats the hold up?Whats Fergie done about this?
Bunker down

Colborne, Canada

#9850 Apr 26, 2013
Found this in a search good read but not very optimistic.
It's the American way or the highway I guess!
http://metronews.ca/news/hamilton/649685/u-s-...
Copy paste if you need instuctions to do this apply at Walmart they will train on the job
TimsTakesApplica tions

Canada

#9851 Apr 26, 2013
1005 proud wrote:
<quoted text>
Again this is just an out and out lie just to fear munger again. Everybody has equal opportunity to train and receive max pay. Once everybody is trained than the senior worker gets preferance if he is equally skilled.
The worker who can not or do not want to train only receives the lowest pay grade. This is quit the incentive to learn. If the company intentially holds up on an employees training they will receive the levels rate he is training on.
The employees who are willing to except and work within the frame work of this practice and give an hownest effert like this system. It allows flexability to the operators to cover vacation, sick days and medicals.
Don't let this one minor items derail living.
Broadbanding gave alot of people raises for doing nothing more than they did before.. This offer said so in ink... if you held a job that is now in a certain level on the broadbanding scale, you will receive that rate. Training on the other jobs will happen in time. As it was at Hamilton, the only one's bitching about that were the one's who had or were presently sitting in cushy jobs and didn't want to learn anything else... Those slugs need to go anyway.. the whole place runs better without them.
TimsTakesApplica tions

Canada

#9852 Apr 26, 2013
John Surma wrote:
<quoted text>...GLW in Ecourse is supply Atlas Tube in Harrow already since last week.That was a lot of work for LEW.
This is fact. We already put ourselves behind a bigger rock.. or maybe under it.
John Surma

Woodstock, Canada

#9853 Apr 26, 2013
TimsTakesApplications wrote:
<quoted text> Don't worry, by the time there's another vote, there won't be near as many people to cast one. The counting should be easy.. 6-2 in favour.
Thats if we ever reopen LEW??
TimsTakesApplica tions

Canada

#9854 Apr 26, 2013
Rick Preston wrote:
<quoted text>
Is "copacity" like "co-pay"
Rick
Too bad you weren't there to help this current bunch edit the offer from the company.. or at least ask the questions that would be asked.. Maybe with your keen eye, these members would have truly understood what it was they were voting for.. Even today so many I talk to had no clue and still don't. the company's fault?, yes, the negotiating teams fault?.. absolutely.
John Surma

Woodstock, Canada

#9855 Apr 26, 2013
Bunker down wrote:
Copy paste if you need instuctions to do this apply at Walmart they will train on the job
........Lock out will be a minimum of nine months
TimsTakesApplica tions

Canada

#9856 Apr 26, 2013
John Surma wrote:
<quoted text>Thats if we ever reopen LEW??
True. It will happen in time.. how much time? That is the question.
My gosh

Hamilton, Canada

#9857 Apr 26, 2013
Rick Preston wrote:
<quoted text>
Is "copacity" like "co-pay"
Rick
Capacity not co- pay
retired hamilton

Hamilton, Canada

#9858 Apr 26, 2013
Bunker down wrote:
Looks like both sides were pissing in the wind in a tornado.
HSM guy

Colborne, Canada

#9859 Apr 26, 2013
Are we still entitled to Vacation pay for our booked vacation! And at what % could I expect ?
John Surma

Woodstock, Canada

#9860 Apr 26, 2013
TimsTakesApplications wrote:
<quoted text>
True. It will happen in time.. how much time? That is the question.
it will close after USS has no obligation to produce steel in Canada as per the agreement that they agreed to with the Federal Government a few years back.Now with the union voting no to the contract USS can keep the place closed sooner

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stelco Hilton Works/US Steel Canada (Jan '10) Jul 13 steamcast 16,401
want to be rich and famous Jul 5 Mike 2 2
US Steel physical and drug test taking to long!... Jun 26 NoKingButChrist 37
News Daniel Beiser (May '08) Jun '17 Granite Hard Forever 2
the pre-employment drug test!!!! (Jun '11) May '17 Slime 9
Work hours Apr '17 Us steel 5
Why is U.S. Steel buying slabs from a competitor? Apr '17 Speedy Gonzales 6
More from around the web