Stelco Lake Erie Works/US Steel Canada
want a contract

Terrace Bay, Canada

#9512 Apr 24, 2013
It's called negotiating
The Madness wrote:
I don't get why we have voted this offer down on more than one occasion and gave the union a green light for a strike and here we are again with no 72 hour notice given to company. Something is going on in the background and its suspicious.
BOND

Severn, Canada

#9513 Apr 24, 2013
I agree with UGH!
Keep everything the same as it is now, and lets keep working and we will talk again in three years!, i would even go as far to say fuck the signing bonus if you take away broadband and we keep our seniority! If you read this and agree please for our sake, message “LIKE BOND“ please!!
The Madness

Simcoe, Canada

#9514 Apr 24, 2013
want a contract wrote:
It's called negotiating <quoted text>
This is getting mental.
BOND

Severn, Canada

#9515 Apr 24, 2013
Like BOND
You Momma

Toronto, Canada

#9516 Apr 24, 2013
The Madness wrote:
<quoted text>This is getting mental.
What's your hurry to walk? If there talking we're not walking that the process!
Real Hunk Of Bull

Dundas, Canada

#9518 Apr 24, 2013
was just reviewing the posts at the beginning of this forum...first 100 pages plus...no evidence of white hats posting...unlike now....its time for everyone to stop posting stuff on here....don't even look here any longer...it is not worth reading
done like dinner

Dundas, Canada

#9519 Apr 24, 2013
its over
Kaput

Pittsburgh, PA

#9520 Apr 24, 2013
Confused wrote:
<quoted text>
Be that as it may, but the way it was worded in their contract, unless you were trained on all jobs within your band you received trainee wage, I was personally looking at a four dollar an hour pay cut, hardly concessionary my ass, don't take thousands of dollars from my income and tell me I'm getting a raise
The idea is to get paid once you are trained, but that is the way of the lazy worker and get payed no matter what. If i can get trained quicker than I deserve the pay of some bum. Its called motivation so you will work your hardest to get the rate and once you have the rate you can do your best to earn a bonus.

Its calle fair pay for fair work. Now what not to like about that?
Kaput

Pittsburgh, PA

#9521 Apr 24, 2013
Relax wrote:
Will everyone just calm the fuck done, nobody knows anything yet, and yet your all talking, like you've got a goddam crystal ball, the Economic climate compared to the last lockout is completely different, 4 years ago we had just entered a crippling recession, in case you hadn't noticed the economy is in an upswing and regardless of what uss tells you they are not losing money, why invest money in a plant that you have no interest in continuing to operate, it doesn't make sense, if the 72 hours passes and no new offer comes, then panic but until then man the fuck up, this a public forum, uss can see you all spilling your fucking guts, way to show that united front, if they see how scared they're making you then they know that if it comes down to the line you'll take whatever the next shit offer is, and btw to all you young guys who are scared for your home and family, I get it, but just think, your kids are only gonna get bigger and more expensive, eventually you will outgrow your home and need a bigger one, your kids will want to go to university. that contract may have met your needs today but it eliminated the possibility for any real advancement, and in ten years you'd be sorry
What do you mean we dont know anything yet, we turn the contract down and will suffer. We are nothing but boobs.
Kaput

Pittsburgh, PA

#9522 Apr 24, 2013
Hopefully wrote:
I'm hoping there is another offer from the company. One that does not have the job banding.
why would you think there will be another offer, USS has stated this is it so now you can live with your vote. One question, does your family really know how you voted?
You Momma

Toronto, Canada

#9524 Apr 24, 2013
Kaput wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean we dont know anything yet, we turn the contract down and will suffer. We are nothing but boobs.
Quit now! And keep US Steal off any future application for work cause if you use USS YOU Will not get hired ! Good luck NO VOTERS!
Your right your all doomed!
Relax

Toronto, Canada

#9525 Apr 24, 2013
Kaput wrote:
<quoted text>
The idea is to get paid once you are trained, but that is the way of the lazy worker and get payed no matter what. If i can get trained quicker than I deserve the pay of some bum. Its called motivation so you will work your hardest to get the rate and once you have the rate you can do your best to earn a bonus.
Its calle fair pay for fair work. Now what not to like about that?
And what happens if the company won't authorize the training or your foreman doesn't like you?
No to Job Banding

Atikokan, Canada

#9526 Apr 24, 2013
Relax wrote:
<quoted text>
And what happens if the company won't authorize the training or your foreman doesn't like you?
What happens is you make trainee wage for 3 years because you aren't allowed to grieve it. I'm in the same boat. I don't mind chasing "Q"s, as long as I'm allowed to keep my current rate in the mean time. Not to mention, there is going to be a huge glut of guys all wanting training at the same time in some areas. Who knows how long we'll have to wait to even get the opportunity to train?!

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#9527 Apr 24, 2013
It's over alright!
You silly turds are out for an easy 2 years now..
They be union busting!!
You'll all be coming back at lower rates..if at all.
RIP steel making in Canada.
From the outside

Pittsburgh, PA

#9528 Apr 24, 2013
Relax wrote:
Will everyone just calm the fuck done, nobody knows anything yet, and yet your all talking, like you've got a goddam crystal ball, the Economic climate compared to the last lockout is completely different, 4 years ago we had just entered a crippling recession, in case you hadn't noticed the economy is in an upswing and regardless of what uss tells you they are not losing money, why invest money in a plant that you have no interest in continuing to operate, it doesn't make sense, if the 72 hours passes and no new offer comes, then panic but until then man the fuck up, this a public forum, uss can see you all spilling your fucking guts, way to show that united front, if they see how scared they're making you then they know that if it comes down to the line you'll take whatever the next shit offer is, and btw to all you young guys who are scared for your home and family, I get it, but just think, your kids are only gonna get bigger and more expensive, eventually you will outgrow your home and need a bigger one, your kids will want to go to university. that contract may have met your needs today but it eliminated the possibility for any real advancement, and in ten years you'd be sorry
With all sincerety, this is one of the most intelligent posts that I have read on this forum. I want to add one thing if i may, do not rule out the possibility of this spending a condition of sale.
Useless Steel

Canada

#9529 Apr 24, 2013
I want to know if by asking for all these concessions violates the agreement made with the canadian government to maintain a certain employment level until 2015. If our contract was good enough in 2010 when the economy was worse and still in the midst of the recession then Im sure they can't use our contract as a loophole now against us and cry poor.

If we do in fact go on strike or get locked out we all need to get an answer from our government if they are going to allow this. I know we might as well talk to the wall but there will be certain members of parliment who will back us and this is the arguement we need going forward to get the public to stand behind us as well.

Canada can not stand idly by and keep allowing foreign companies to destroy what took so many years to build!
not my party

Simcoe, Canada

#9530 Apr 24, 2013
Useless Steel wrote:
I want to know if by asking for all these concessions violates the agreement made with the canadian government to maintain a certain employment level until 2015. If our contract was good enough in 2010 when the economy was worse and still in the midst of the recession then Im sure they can't use our contract as a loophole now against us and cry poor.
If we do in fact go on strike or get locked out we all need to get an answer from our government if they are going to allow this. I know we might as well talk to the wall but there will be certain members of parliment who will back us and this is the arguement we need going forward to get the public to stand behind us as well.
Canada can not stand idly by and keep allowing foreign companies to destroy what took so many years to build!
Well in the past I have found that talking to an NDP MP helps. I don't vote NDP and I know they are the opposition but they make noise in parliament and try to make Stephen Herpes look uncaring about Canadians.
Bubba US Stink

Colborne, Canada

#9531 Apr 24, 2013
Jeff Wilder

TheStreet reiterated their sell rating on shares of U.S. Steel (NYSE: X) in a research report sent to investors on Monday morning, AnalystRatingsNetwork reports.

“United States Steel Corporation (X) has been reiterated by TheStreet Ratings as a sell with a ratings score of D+. The company’s weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and poor profit margins.”
This company cant afford to stay out shareholders want more $$$$$$$$$$
Rick Preston

Windsor, Canada

#9532 Apr 24, 2013
Congratulations to the Membership of 8782 for doing what had to be done.

Ferg and Mark, will make sure your message is clear to "everyone".

thanks,

Rick
HSM guy

Colborne, Canada

#9533 Apr 24, 2013
Rick Preston wrote:
Congratulations to the Membership of 8782 for doing what had to be done.
Ferg and Mark, will make sure your message is clear to "everyone".
thanks,
Rick
Nice to see your support Rick enjoy your retirement!
I hate seeing all the good things you helped us accomplished get thrown out the door thanks for your time served in our local 8782 :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Good and Bad about US Steel (Jan '11) Jun 6 really 63
News China's Hebei Iron & Steel says U.S. probe dama... Jun 5 marpy 1
Keetec Chat (Nov '09) May '16 MiniMiner 109
Stelco Hilton Works/US Steel Canada (Jan '10) May '16 Mario Longhi 15,911
Poll Is Graham Carroll a rat? (Aug '13) Feb '16 Siles 58
More from around the web