Comments
8,941 - 8,960 of 22,163 Comments Last updated Friday Aug 22
STOP

Guelph, Canada

#9201 Apr 21, 2013
Stop.

Breathe .

Now read this.

These guys are smart, very smart. They are like magicians, look over here while they are taking over there!
With this whole broadbanding thing going on (look over here), don't forget they are (taking) the cola and the vacation.....ect......ect.

You have to realize that they will say anything to take a buck.......ANYTHING!

If you vote for this contract that they have put forward, you will regret this for the rest of your stay at LEW.

You will have no seniority if you vote yes! They can place you where ever they like! And remember if they don't like you because you may not have the best social skill set, you will be doing the job you don't like/want.

It may not affect you now but it will affect you later!
Useless Steel

Hamilton, Canada

#9202 Apr 22, 2013
Company stated this offer was "scarcely concessionry"

Benefits co-pay - loss of up to $300/year
Cola - Based on last few contracts loss of roll in
approx.$1/hr so loss of $2000/year
Vacation Pay premiums - weeks taken after april
loss of $300-350/week so loss of $300 to
$2450/year depending on how many weeks you
have
Pre Retirement bonus - loss of 15 weeks at say
$1200/week is loss of $18,000

Lets take a person with 20 years service with their 6 weeks vacation each year after april and only using half of the benefits co-pay each year.
Their possible lifetime losses when they are eligible to retire at 30 years will be

Benefits $1500
Cola $20,000
Vacation Premiums (low end)$18,000
Pre Retirement Bonus $18,000

For a grand total of $57,500 out of pocket.
That $2500 signing bonus is what makes this "scarcely concessionary" I guess?

waken up

Canada

#9203 Apr 22, 2013
STOP wrote:
Stop.
Breathe .
Now read this.
These guys are smart, very smart. They are like magicians, look over here while they are taking over there!
With this whole broadbanding thing going on (look over here), don't forget they are (taking) the cola and the vacation.....ect......ect.
You have to realize that they will say anything to take a buck.......ANYTHING!
If you vote for this contract that they have put forward, you will regret this for the rest of your stay at LEW.
You will have no seniority if you vote yes! They can place you where ever they like! And remember if they don't like you because you may not have the best social skill set, you will be doing the job you don't like/want.
It may not affect you now but it will affect you later!
Amen. I strongly agree.
Weezer

Brantford, Canada

#9204 Apr 22, 2013
Hotroller wrote:
For those who actually think they need us, you need a take a step back, take a deep breath and think twice about that. USS CANADA, is technically competition to the parent company. They could close lew and hilton tomorrow and it would be business as usual for the corporation. I comend the union for fighting the good fight, but we can't win
USS has very deep pockets and those that keep saying they won't pull the trigger on a lock out can't give any guarantees and neither can Ferg. If the negotiating committee could give me an iron clad guarantee, I'm on their side. BUT THEY CAN'T!
LEWser

Simcoe, Canada

#9205 Apr 22, 2013
we are much better off if we let the company lock us out....if we strike, we're screwed. We'll be on the street for a year and come back to this very same contract...if we all vote no on this contract, how does the clock get started? Is that a seperate vote?
Edd

Brantford, Canada

#9206 Apr 22, 2013
Weezer wrote:
<quoted text>
USS has very deep pockets and those that keep saying they won't pull the trigger on a lock out can't give any guarantees and neither can Ferg. If the negotiating committee could give me an iron clad guarantee, I'm on their side. BUT THEY CAN'T!
Anyone who thinks that voting against this offer is the way to go is sadly mistaken and are probably in for a big shock a to what happens if it is voted down. Enjoy looking for a new job that pays close to what you are presently earning especially if you live in the Haldimand-Norfolk area. Whatever you end up finding will not even come close to the package that is presently being offered.
whodat

Hamilton, Canada

#9207 Apr 22, 2013
Well I have made up my mind already. I've only been here for 10 years but a lot has changed in those years!

Truth be told is it worth the gamble to get locked out? If that happens how much are we going to lose?! The crane operators switch all the time between them, what's the big deal if you have to do a different job one day? I rather learn a new job then stay at mine all the time.

Everyone needs to make up there OWN mind and decide what this job is worth to them.
Oh yea

Hamilton, Canada

#9208 Apr 22, 2013
How did fergie come with anyone with 28 yrs service or more is grandfathered. He looked after his buddies ans sold out something for the rest of us, think about that
Kaput

Pittsburgh, PA

#9209 Apr 22, 2013
People, People do not vote with your heart but your head. If the membership turns this down now you will only be back in one year with the same offer, or worse, Less....

These are changing times and this company is losing money. Do not think for one second the talks will go as it routinely did when we all worked for that bankrupt company, Stelco.
Vote No

Port Dover, Canada

#9210 Apr 22, 2013
Useless Steel wrote:
Company stated this offer was "scarcely concessionry"
Benefits co-pay - loss of up to $300/year
Cola - Based on last few contracts loss of roll in
approx.$1/hr so loss of $2000/year
Vacation Pay premiums - weeks taken after april
loss of $300-350/week so loss of $300 to
$2450/year depending on how many weeks you
have
Pre Retirement bonus - loss of 15 weeks at say
$1200/week is loss of $18,000
Lets take a person with 20 years service with their 6 weeks vacation each year after april and only using half of the benefits co-pay each year.
Their possible lifetime losses when they are eligible to retire at 30 years will be
Benefits $1500
Cola $20,000
Vacation Premiums (low end)$18,000
Pre Retirement Bonus $18,000
For a grand total of $57,500 out of pocket.
That $2500 signing bonus is what makes this "scarcely concessionary" I guess?
and thats not counting how much we lose in the next contract then the next one after that, it will never stop, with a few more contracts like this gem i would rather work at walmart. VOTE NO!
Wow

Guelph, Canada

#9211 Apr 22, 2013
Vote No wrote:
<quoted text> and thats not counting how much we lose in the next contract then the next one after that, it will never stop, with a few more contracts like this gem i would rather work at walmart. VOTE NO!
Wow, all I can say is that you would never have that money "in pocket" think about it, the government taxes everything. After taxes maybe a newspaper a week. Not worth walking. You would rather work at Walmart? Do you hear yourself? Then leave!!! Get your blue smock and give'er. If you honestly can say that then you will have zero success in life because you only have half a brain.
Crawling For Crumbs

Canada

#9212 Apr 22, 2013
Oh yea wrote:
How did fergie come with anyone with 28 yrs service or more is grandfathered. He looked after his buddies ans sold out something for the rest of us, think about that
Fergie did not recomend the contract, Fergie rejected the offer, Fergie refused to sign the contract and Fergie flatly stated that this is a bad contract and the bargaining committee has rejected it .... yea your right its all a clever scam by Fergie to look after his Buddies.
After all he was behind the fake moon landing and the mind control chemicals put in your Flu shot !
Works at the Lake

Hamilton, Canada

#9213 Apr 22, 2013
Oh yea wrote:
You are an idiot. Ferg said clearly that he and the committee did not in any way support the agreement written by company, given to the Ministry of labour. Delivered to the committee by the MOL and shown to us by him and the committee.

How you get to this is a deal to support his "buddies" shocks the hell out of me.

Now crawl back under your rock and stop stirring up shit mr Foreman
Hmmm

Guelph, Canada

#9214 Apr 22, 2013
Same people posting the same things, fighting over a "job" there are so many things to life to enjoy and be had. The anger and animosity and name calling and lashing on this site is appalling. I volunteer at a shelter and those people would give anything to work in a place like this. Grass isn't always greener, sometimes we have to sacrifice to get things out of life.
REality

Pittsburgh, PA

#9215 Apr 22, 2013
LEW 8 months out took company offer, no gain
Hilton 11 months out took company offer, no gain
Record shows can't win,
vote yes
got out in 1999

Delhi, Canada

#9216 Apr 22, 2013
Kaput wrote:
People, People do not vote with your heart but your head. If the membership turns this down now you will only be back in one year with the same offer, or worse, Less....
These are changing times and this company is losing money. Do not think for one second the talks will go as it routinely did when we all worked for that bankrupt company, Stelco.
are you STUPID Stelco sold out for other reasons you idiot AMERICAN FOOL
Edd

Brantford, Canada

#9217 Apr 22, 2013
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, all I can say is that you would never have that money "in pocket" think about it, the government taxes everything. After taxes maybe a newspaper a week. Not worth walking. You would rather work at Walmart? Do you hear yourself? Then leave!!! Get your blue smock and give'er. If you honestly can say that then you will have zero success in life because you only have half a brain.
If people who are like "vote no" think that way, why are they stupid enough to stay at US Steel. Obviously they have no faith in the future of the company. Just quit and move on.
jimmy

Hamilton, Canada

#9218 Apr 22, 2013
Hmmm wrote:
Same people posting the same things, fighting over a "job" there are so many things to life to enjoy and be had. The anger and animosity and name calling and lashing on this site is appalling. I volunteer at a shelter and those people would give anything to work in a place like this. Grass isn't always greener, sometimes we have to sacrifice to get things out of life.
You're right. Sometimes we have to make a sacrifice...but not contract after contract after contract. Company may not be making as much as it should based on what is going on in Europe, but in North America US Steel is not a hurting enterprise. Auto sales here are on the rise.
They can fix what's wrong in Europe by slamming the doors on plants over there. Slamming us out doesn't make sense. We can do better.
Oh yea

Hamilton, Canada

#9219 Apr 22, 2013
Vote yes if you want a job, to get bullied by the senior guys, they got what they wanted and fergie looked after them, we took a beating because of them, we have no choice to vote yes. All the senior guys are retiring from the union, Tom jones, Joanne Williamson.
nonono

Kitchener, Canada

#9220 Apr 22, 2013
I feel that This section in the company proposal that says we will not be allowed any grievances in regards to wages is infringing on section 2 of the charter of rights and freedoms which affords us the right to picket which I interpret as a right to protest; and personally I would define a grievance as a written form of protest. Am I way off base with this or is this proposal totally ignoring or fundamental rights as Canadians?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Steelworker (Jan '12) 11 min Mike2 85
Stelco Hilton Works/US Steel Canada (Jan '10) Sun Al Einstein 14,608
Easy Loan Apply Now (Sep '13) Aug 28 john 4
How to Recover Deleted Contacts from iPhone wit... (May '13) Aug 19 christina1 47
JOIN THE GREAT ILLUMINATI to get rich and famou... Aug 14 Mike2 2
loan offer Jul '14 wilson fred 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

United States Steel People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••