Stelco Lake Erie Works/US Steel Canada
potential picketer

Toronto, Canada

#7842 Mar 17, 2013
player wrote:
<quoted text>oh boy. Here it goes. First pensioner sticks his head out of the weeds. Its all so clear when ya know your cheques will continue. You must have inside info I guess.The rest of us will wait for the facts.than go from there.
I don't have any numbers but If USS forces a vote the young guys could end up shafting the senior ones on a vote. There has been alot of new blood hired since we have been back. But who knows? All we can do is see what happens.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#7843 Mar 17, 2013
Dude wrote:
Scare tactics or not, this doesn't look promising.
LEW needs a strike mandate lets hope its 100%. The LEW hot strip is USS best strip mill and Hamilton's 4STD is USS best cold rolling mill. Not to mention the z-line in Hamilton. Hang in there boys & girls lets see what the yanks are made of. Lots of $$$$ at stake. They are installing a rail line at the south end of the 4 std to ship coils to protech(southern Ohio)to be coated. You have to ask yourself why?? Shipping is expensive, some say former Hamilton works manager Vaughn(protech in Ohio)wants Hamilton's cold rolled steel, some others say no other USS mills want to roll this product and thats why Hamilton is getting these orders. They are spending alot of money in Hamilton, 5 STD aisle is being converted to store coils. The past 8 months have been devoted to this project. Also #1Galv has a project that has been on going for the last 4 months, its a work roll grinder (#1 galv aisle) that was purchased along with a LEW roll grinder(stored in 2 galv aisle) This money has a direct relationship to LEW hot strip.
player

Pickering, Canada

#7844 Mar 17, 2013
potential picketer wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have any numbers but If USS forces a vote the young guys could end up shafting the senior ones on a vote. There has been alot of new blood hired since we have been back. But who knows? All we can do is see what happens.
Wow. Condemning your own brothers already. No facts are even out yet! You make this so easy for US Steel. Save your accusations for your real issue..US STEEL. Not your own local.
potential picketer

Toronto, Canada

#7845 Mar 17, 2013
player wrote:
<quoted text>Wow. Condemning your own brothers already. No facts are even out yet! You make this so easy for US Steel. Save your accusations for your real issue..US STEEL. Not your own local.
i said they could do it not would do it. everyone will vote how they want to and we won't know our future until the votes are counted.
potential picketer

Toronto, Canada

#7846 Mar 17, 2013
Would be nice if we could get a raise.
justarodburner

Simcoe, Canada

#7847 Mar 17, 2013
the company is lookimg for all this bitching and screeming... its what they do..

keep the chatter in the mill..what they dont know will kill them.

and as far as training salary on the jobs..... good luck... has anyone seen any part of the mill run longer than an hour without one of the service groups being called to cobble something togeather because they wont spend money on parts. and all our trades guys will be outside the gate along with the rest of the bargaining unit.

Since: Dec 09

Canada

#7848 Mar 17, 2013
player wrote:
<quoted text> Don't let them scare ya. Support your negotiators. EI Sub = paid vacation. 11 months flys by.
The likelyhood of us having EI this time is extremely remote and as there is no contract between 8782 and USS during a lockout or strike the company will not pay sub even if we get EI. Support our bargaining committee by keeping any complaints about 8782 where it belongs, inside our local only. Good luck Bill, Mark, Randy and Terry. We know you have lots of hard work between now and April 15th to get us a fair and just contract.
player

Pickering, Canada

#7849 Mar 17, 2013
Union payed sub fund. 200 WK . You don't call it strike pay on a lockout.
Not a lew Slave

Brantford, Canada

#7850 Mar 18, 2013
player wrote:
<quoted text>oh boy. Here it goes. First pensioner sticks his head out of the weeds. Its all so clear when ya know your cheques will continue. You must have inside info I guess.The rest of us will wait for the facts.than go from there.
Just for your information, I'm not a pensioner. US steel screwed up last time by locking us out, the Government supported our cause, then lost their balls when we all thought US steel we screwed. We cannot expect any support this time, its up to us, so we must all stick together, if we give them anything back this time, they will continue to take.
STRIKENOT

Port Dover, Canada

#7851 Mar 18, 2013
i will vote to keep my family feed, i had been out of work for a year b4 i got this job and never want to be without money again, i hope we get s raise but if not i will be fine keeping my steady pay
Lew

Caledon, Canada

#7852 Mar 18, 2013
STRIKENOT wrote:
i will vote to keep my family feed, i had been out of work for a year b4 i got this job and never want to be without money again, i hope we get s raise but if not i will be fine keeping my steady pay
Take a white cap job if your worried about money and have no balls to stand up for what's right we should be getting at least what the Americans got last year.....don't even show up to vote most have families as well sacrifices have to be made for what's right
Lewstonia

Hamilton, Canada

#7853 Mar 18, 2013
It will be very frustrating if we can't get a good contract. USW-USS in the states ended up much better off than what they thought they would get.
Auto workers were sure they were on strike last year and ended up with a contract worth bragging about right on time.
The economy is not what it once was but it never will be the same. A lot of manufacturers/lenders/ect. learnt there lesson over the last few years.
There is demand as we have seen all around us
And now it's our time for a fair contract that meets the deadline!

USS Canada is not going to sit out front the gates for a year just to get a contract!
Give us what we haved worked for!
A fair contract
Wow

Waterford, Canada

#7854 Mar 18, 2013
USS has to much to lose this time around. If they decide to force a strike or lockout, they will have to rehire way more people. All the senior members will have had enough and a lot of the new trades will not come back. Respect and a fair contract is what we ask for and if they don't see that then I guess we walk. The type of words here are showing them members are scared but be strong and support our bargaining committee. Strength is power. I personally think USS is the one who is scared this time. They have allot invested in the lake and people and can't afford to lose thier investment. Be strong Brother's and Sister's, our strength and support for our local will win this battle.
Just Saying

Waterford, Canada

#7855 Mar 18, 2013
New members, new vehicles, new homes, marriage, babies. Just what USS wanted. That was the plan. Lock them out retire off the old one's cause they are done all that. Just look at it folks. Just enough seniors left to train the new people and bang, production is up to what they need and the ball is in thier court. As one of the remaining seniors, I can say this book they wrote is old school. Been there done that. Not my first contract. If you give away you will never get it back. After time the wages and benifets will drop more and your great paying job will be far behind the normal. Why do you think USS is having a hard time getting good trades people. $$$.
FM Radio free Stripmill

Toronto, Canada

#7856 Mar 19, 2013
Train replacements , is that what they call it ... it's more like we own it we can break it if we want to. A trained monkey can do our simple tasks ( push a button once and a while ) so Pittsburg figures. WTF do they want ? Don't think there is a plan just their usual stupidity and then wonder why they are so disliked. Hitler may have had some good quailities but history only will remember him a crazed meglomaniac bent on destroying everything ... pay attention US Steel your legacy is already cast , a bunch of arrogant crazed meglomaniacs bent on destroying the Canadian Steel industry as well as the American. Stupid Bastards !
Waiting

Arnprior, Canada

#7857 Mar 19, 2013
A good way to wreck any industrial going concern is to put an ex military guy, led by lawers, fed by bankers after a large bonus who can offer a seat on the board to the next politician that agrees with the current copany stance in negotiations.

8782, stay strong.

PS, not a retiree
player

Toronto, Canada

#7858 Mar 20, 2013
There will be no strike vote. Committee to smart for that. Will offer to negotiate past contract due date. Set ourselves up for ei. We want to work!
potential pucketer

Simcoe, Canada

#7859 Mar 20, 2013
player wrote:
There will be no strike vote. Committee to smart for that. Will offer to negotiate past contract due date. Set ourselves up for ei. We want to work!
We won't have to worry. The negotiating committee will get us a fair deal.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#7860 Mar 20, 2013
Every contract we have a small group who complain and degrade our negotiating team. Then when the go through all the crap dealing with the mismanaged morons that run this company , they bring us back a good deal. Then this small group is all shits and giggles about the great deal . If you aren't part of the solution , apply for one of the Salary jobs they are starting to dangle in front of some members noses and be part of the problem. I think our negotiating team has done a very good job under very difficult situation
Maybe we should get that guy who got suspended for drawing Calvin pissing on US Steel logo to make up T-shirts, in case they lock us out heard that really pissed off the company ( piss off lol )

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#7861 Mar 20, 2013
player wrote:
Ask yourself how that worked out on your last contract or Hamiltons last contract? All it did is give them more time to train white hats. Get a strike mandate..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stelco Hilton Works/US Steel Canada (Jan '10) 5 hr Former Stelco Cop 15,942
Keetec Chat (Nov '09) Jul 29 Ranger 1 111
New Steelworker (Jan '12) Jul '16 Imaginethat 93
The Good and Bad about US Steel (Jan '11) Jun '16 really 63
News China's Hebei Iron & Steel says U.S. probe dama... Jun '16 marpy 1
More from around the web