Stoney Creek, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2010

Judged:

I was taught at a young age by my union seniority is what matters by all arguments , am I wrong by saying that I feel that all my retired coworkers are still senior to active union paying members ?
as you can see this at the hall.
stalin

Delhi, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2010

Judged:

never get my 30 wrote:
I was taught at a young age by my union seniority is what matters by all arguments , am I wrong by saying that I feel that all my retired coworkers are still senior to active union paying members ?
as you can see this at the hall.
I don't believe that 'senior' means superior,but it's very close to George Orwell's 'more equal than others'.In the workplace,seniority counteracts favouritism,brown-nosing,risk- taking and back-stabbing.Someone who works the best part of their life until retirement deserves what was promised to them,their pension.Rolf won't help USS break that promise.

Since: Dec 09

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2010

Judged:

trust is earned wrote:
Anyone out there know if the drug plan ..or any of the benefits were cut off while L E W was locked out?I know they were cut off for active guys/gals but did they cut the pensioners too? Or better yet does anyone know the fate of the Hamilton pensioners benefits?I know a guy worried sick about his drug plan He's on pension.He called tonight and asked.
At 8782 all actives had no benefits during the lockout, those laid off in March were promised 9 months of benefits in lieu of notice but were cut at the lockout.

Those who retired but had not yet used up vacation time and preretirement allowance also had benefits cut till all vacation time was expired and they went on pension.

The previous retirees who were "off the books" ie past vacation time or long retired did not get cut off of benefits. But a heads up to retirees, the active employees are going to be voting for what your benefit packages will look like after ratification. So if the active guys as part of the basic agreement as an example lose prescription eyeglass coverage, those on pension also lose that part of the benefit package at ratification.

Hope that clears up that up a bit for your friend Trust.

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2010

Judged:

justarodburner wrote:
<quoted text>
not unlike any canadian political situation
does not matter what the ppl want , the guy at the top does what ever he wants.
the hst is a good example.
will king rolf still get a paycheque when the rest are out on the street??
The executive gets strike pay the same as any other locked out dues paying member

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2010

Judged:

stalin wrote:
<quoted text>I don't believe that 'senior' means superior,but it's very close to George Orwell's 'more equal than others'.In the workplace,seniority counteracts favouritism,brown-nosing,risk- taking and back-stabbing.Someone who works the best part of their life until retirement deserves what was promised to them,their pension.Rolf won't help USS break that promise.
Well said Stalin
The Real LEW 8782

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2010

Judged:

8782 Picketer wrote:
<quoted text>
The executive gets strike pay the same as any other locked out dues paying member
that's interesting. I thought the executive still had their usual steady income, but it sounds like they suffer with the rest of us. From the most recent article in the spec it sounds like the "final offer" is close to what we took. No matter what the actual details are it seems unfair that Rilf won't let the membership vote on it. Is he afraid that the membership would take it? I hope 1005 can avoid a lockout.
Led Zepplin

Dundas, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2010

Judged:

I'm really tired of all the cry babies. It is not the same offer as the Lake. As soon as they get a YES vote ninety five % of plant will be laid off. They have not said they will restart the Blast Furnace. There is no pension credits for lost time like Nanticoke nor increased sub pay or ensuring it is fully funded. Stop dreaming.

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2010

Judged:

I would like to say so long to all of the great people here in this forum who post interesting and supportive subjects. It has helped me through the layoffs and lock out to know there was a place for people like us to share our concerns and fears in trying times. Forums like these are an important place that allow to people vent, have a little fun and like in many of my postings it allowed me to stop and make people think, or caused people to target me instead of the membership or our leadership.

Please do try and remember that Useless Steal does monitor this forum. Do not allow yourselves to start fighting between our brothers and sisters at 1005 and our Local. We have common cause and a common enemy in the defence of all workers who pay dues to the USW. We at no other time in the history of our great locals have greater need to join as one and fight the tyranny which is US Steel. Defend here and on the shop floor our brethren in Hamilton, stop at the gate and give a donation when they are slowing us down with buckets in hand.

I have had a recent change in my life which I feel precludes me sharing my thoughts with you fine brothers and sisters in the near future. I will continue to read but will no longer post, though to do this will drive up a tree.

Good luck to all my Union brothers and sisters in Hilton Works, I hope and pray you will succeed in your struggle against the tyrant and in the end come out triumphant. I will see all of you on your picket lines if you are forced onto the bricks.

In Solidarity, 8782 Picketer signs out.
steelman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2010

Judged:

steelmaiden wrote:
yes picketer we have to try .We work for them not the union MY paycheck says US Steel not 1005.They have us.It's not like the old days when a union could stop the company from making money.But that dosen't matter Rolf just stated he will not take this latest offer for a vote.Oh a by the way when Rolf said on the radio that with a lock out hamiltons economy with suffer is a joke there is only 900 of us.Now if arcelor mittal went down then that would have an impact there is 5000 down there but they don't have the hightened annimosity between company and workers like the union shops have.Now the company can dry us out and could bring us back for even less.Or shut us down for good,and workers and pensioners are F**ked.Now thats how to solve things.Also if in the gov't court case they do say sell who is going to be eager to buy us with our Union.They would be buying a plant with nothing but troubles.Rolf needs to really think this through before just saying no.I'm sure I'll get some back lash for the above but thats how feel.I'll never be able to retire at this rate Thanks Rolf
You gotta think yes 900 employee's with 1005 now remember or if u did not know there are over 1000 contractors in there regularly doing jobs 1005 brothers and sisters will not do so I can see Hamilton's Economy taking a big Dent
Clem

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2010

Judged:

8782 Picketer wrote:
I would like to say so long to all of the great people here in this forum who post interesting and supportive subjects. It has helped me through the layoffs and lock out to know there was a place for people like us to share our concerns and fears in trying times. Forums like these are an important place that allow to people vent, have a little fun and like in many of my postings it allowed me to stop and make people think, or caused people to target me instead of the membership or our leadership.
Please do try and remember that Useless Steal does monitor this forum. Do not allow yourselves to start fighting between our brothers and sisters at 1005 and our Local. We have common cause and a common enemy in the defence of all workers who pay dues to the USW. We at no other time in the history of our great locals have greater need to join as one and fight the tyranny which is US Steel. Defend here and on the shop floor our brethren in Hamilton, stop at the gate and give a donation when they are slowing us down with buckets in hand.
I have had a recent change in my life which I feel precludes me sharing my thoughts with you fine brothers and sisters in the near future. I will continue to read but will no longer post, though to do this will drive up a tree.
Good luck to all my Union brothers and sisters in Hilton Works, I hope and pray you will succeed in your struggle against the tyrant and in the end come out triumphant. I will see all of you on your picket lines if you are forced onto the bricks.
I understand. Take care and all the best to you.
stalin

Delhi, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2010

Judged:

8782 Picketer wrote:
I would like to say so long...

... I will continue to read but will no longer post, though to do this will drive me up a tree.

Hope you find a nice shade tree,wind at your back,sun in your face and may the road rise up to meet you,etc etc..Bet you can't stay away.
wonder

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2010

Judged:

steelman wrote:
<quoted text> You gotta think yes 900 employee's with 1005 now remember or if u did not know there are over 1000 contractors in there regularly doing jobs 1005 brothers and sisters will not do so I can see Hamilton's Economy taking a big Dent
because contractors don't follow us steel safety rules. we have to follow those rediculous safety rules or we get suspected or worst terminated. I guess you are a contractor.
The Real LEW 8782

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2010

Take care Picketer you the man.
power worker

Simcoe, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2010

Judged:

Led Zepplin wrote:
I'm really tired of all the cry babies. It is not the same offer as the Lake. As soon as they get a YES vote ninety five % of plant will be laid off. They have not said they will restart the Blast Furnace. There is no pension credits for lost time like Nanticoke nor increased sub pay or ensuring it is fully funded. Stop dreaming.
right on somebody finaly gets it
Clem

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2010

U.S. Steel will lock out workers at 7 pm Sunday.
The Real LEW 8782

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2010

Steeler

Ancaster, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2010

Judged:

Clem wrote:
U.S. Steel will lock out workers at 7 pm Sunday.
.....also the Union want's everybody to meet at the Main Gate at Wilcox St. at 6:15!!
Kitchen Leftovers

London, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2010

Judged:

Reading that article it's unreal how utterly stupid this situation is. So the Hilton...with all that demand for Steel (sarcasm)...is somehow going to beat USS at the pension issue that every other strike / lockout has ended with the union giving in after basically screwing their members over in a fight they can't and won't win. It's alway sad when complete morons are running the show. Can they really be this stubborn and stupid? It's like the executive is mentally challenged. This will end up like Vale in Sudbury. In the end everyone was calling for the USW's heads and a bunch of people were fired and everyone lost a year of wages. The difference at the hilton? It will never reopen...and the USW is giving them the excuse to close it.
..........BUUUURRRRRP
justarodburner

Hanover, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2010

Judged:

i really hope the boys in hamilton win or come to some sort of an agreement for the sake of their families.

but . if they do get a contract and US Steel lays them all off because of this shortage of orders thing that is hanging over our heads.

will any of them have a chance of comming to the lake for employment? have any "just in case" plans been made?
Kitchen Leftovers

London, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2010

Judged:

I think the time has come for the dinosaur that is the USW to hang up it's hat. Just voluntarily decertify themselves, declare bankruptsy and let the CAW take over. Or thinking about it could they be running their Canadian arms so badly on purpose...basically screwing the 'brothers to the north' to benefit their own? There's no way they can really be as stupid as their actions make them appear. Times have changed and while refusing (or pretending to refuse) to recognize this they have ruined many lives and are apparently hell bent on ruining many more...before giving in and making everyone bend over yet again. They don't even save face...they just say "Yep, we screwed up...go back to work after a year and bend over". This would be ok if they learned after the 1st or 2nd instance, but it appears they are stupid enough (or pretend to be) to just continue doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Albert Einstein
I think the fools at the top of the USW read that phrase thinking it was a good thing written by Albert Einstein. Sadly on their copy someone had torn the top right hand corner off the page so they failed to see the 'Insanity' part. LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

19 Users are viewing the United States Steel Forum right now

Search the United States Steel Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Stelco Hilton Works/US Steel Canada (Jan '10) 4 min byproduct of coke 14,468
How to Recover Deleted Contacts from iPhone wit... (May '13) Jul 18 Tinababa1 50
ultimate spell solution dr.okuomolo who help me... Jul 11 Mike2 5
U.S. Steel departing S&P 500, bumped by Martin ... Jul 5 1005 Proud 1
Happy Canada Day Jul 1 TroubleAhead 1
loan offer at low interest rate of 3% (Oct '13) Jun '14 CHEVRON OIL COOPERATIVE 3
New Steelworker (Jan '12) Jun '14 Imaginethat 83
•••
•••