United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2012

Judged:

Hello everyone. I am a former autoworker(13 years at Chrysler) and lost my job due to industry restructuring. I was recently hired by US Steel as a utility person and will report to the steel works side of a flat roll mill. Is this where I want to be? The steel works side? I know nothing of the inside of a mill but am excited to begin a new career. Can anyone give me some tips, advice, or let me know what I can look forward to? Thank you for your time.
Jibberjabber

Guelph, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2012

Judged:

Former Autoworker wrote:
Hello everyone. I am a former autoworker(13 years at Chrysler) and lost my job due to industry restructuring. I was recently hired by US Steel as a utility person and will report to the steel works side of a flat roll mill. Is this where I want to be? The steel works side? I know nothing of the inside of a mill but am excited to begin a new career. Can anyone give me some tips, advice, or let me know what I can look forward to? Thank you for your time.
like any company it has it's ups and downs, I'm in the blast furnace and I'm loving it. Where I work alot of the guy/girls take pride in their work, but of course you still get some knuckle heads that spend more time trying to get out of work than just doing an honest living.
Have fun, don't take anything too serious and be safe.
Former Autoworker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2012

Judged:

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear you are loving it. I am use to a semi-hostile work environment and I also know the very knuckleheads you speak of. Those people will work harder at not working than they will just doing their job. lol

I did hear that it's a pretty good and laid back environment inside the mill so I'm looking forward to a job that I can be proud to do and be happy to go in to work everyday. Thanks again!
HARD AT WORK

Trenton, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2012

Judged:

Former Autoworker wrote:
You can look forward to never seeing your family,living inside a steel mill,collecting good pay but never having a social life! Remember this isn't the U.A.W good luck and stay clean and safe at least until you make the union.
Former Autoworker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2012

Judged:

HARD AT WORK wrote:
<quoted text>You can look forward to never seeing your family,living inside a steel mill,collecting good pay but never having a social life! Remember this isn't the U.A.W good luck and stay clean and safe at least until you make the union.
I guess it's pretty much what I am use to from working in an auto assembly plant all those years. One positive that I have heard is that it's not as miserable working in the mill as it is in an auto plant. That's a bonus. Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to joining the union and protecting our best interests at contract times.
bob smith

Simcoe, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2012

Judged:

its gravy baby.......gravy
do alot of OT, youll take abuse but do it man!
Former Autoworker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2012

Judged:

Thanks, guys.

Update: Things are going well and I'm learning fast. Some of the work can be hard, but most of it is pretty easy overall. Much different work than being an autoworker. I'm fitting right in though and will vote with the majority at contract time..... as long as it doesn't screw retirees or take anything away from us. Anyway, thanks to everyone who posted.
Stalin

Windham Centre, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2012

Judged:

Former Autoworker wrote:
Thanks, guys.
Update: Things are going well and I'm learning fast..........
Which Chrysler plant did you work at?
Former Autoworker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2012

Judged:

Stalin wrote:
<quoted text>Which Chrysler plant did you work at?
I worked at Chrysler St Louis South(minivan) and St Louis North(Ram). As you may know, they leveled the plants.:(
rick randall

Taylor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

Hi, everyone just wondering if anyone has any info on how to get into US Steel? I put in my resume for Utility Person I'm a vet returning home and I heard US Steel is a great place to "earn" a living.
Chris

Glen Carbon, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2012

Judged:

applied about 6 months ago and received an email about three weeks ago offering a spot to take their skills assessment test do I did that an they said in about 3 weeks u will get a phone interview so 6 days later phone rings unknown I answer like an ass because I get so many solicitors but it was a lady from us steel for the phone interview I was caught completely off guard but interview went good and now I got a in person interview a week from today so I'm stoked id say it's one I the best jobs around here so good look just keep checking their website for openings
Dan

Bluford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

Hi Chris, what happened after the interview? I am going for the assessment test this week. Any information would be helpful.
Dee

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2012

Judged:

I also have a assement.
What should I expect and how much does a utility person start?
brittny

Portage, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Judged:

how long ago did you guys apply? because i applied 2 months ago and they said my app is still in consideration im just wondering after how long of your app being in consideration do they call you back for a assesment?
dee

Granite City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2012

Judged:

hey all, glad to have new union ranks,, be eager for any overtime!!..and do not ever slack off on personal safty..locks,hats,gloves. coats sleeves, you will be out door faster than , the wind!!
brittny

Portage, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

does anyone know the answer to my question ^^ about how long thy hold your app untill they call you back?
Mike2

Ancaster, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

brittny wrote:
does anyone know the answer to my question ^^ about how long thy hold your app untill they call you back?
Did you take a Urine Test?
ImagineThat

Farmington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Can anyone give me any information about the assessment test,so I will know what to expect. Thank you!
Mike2

Ancaster, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

ImagineThat wrote:
Can anyone give me any information about the assessment test,so I will know what to expect. Thank you!
They will want to assess your Urine
ImagineThat

Farmington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Not trying to be funny or anything,but why is it called an assessment test and an drug test! Im just trying to be prepared for the unknown! Thank you!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent United States Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stelco Hilton Works/US Steel Canada (Jan '10) 22 hr Graham Carroll 14,602
Stelco Lake Erie Works/US Steel Canada (Jul '09) Aug 22 Find a good group 22,163
How to Recover Deleted Contacts from iPhone wit... (May '13) Aug 19 christina1 47
JOIN THE GREAT ILLUMINATI to get rich and famou... Aug 14 Mike2 2
loan offer Jul 29 wilson fred 1

Search the United States Steel Forum:
•••