Sears Tower name change: Building tod...

Sears Tower name change: Building today officially becomes Will...

There are 116 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 15, 2009, titled Sears Tower name change: Building today officially becomes Will.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

It's time to play another round of "What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?" The decades-old phrase from television sitcom "Diff'rent Strokes" resurfaced with a vengeance in March, when Willis Group Holdings announced its name would replace Sears' atop Chicago's tallest landmark.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
John O

Lake Zurich, IL

#1 Jul 15, 2009
The brand name "Sears" has become a symbol of mediocrity, failure, and rip off, so good riddance. And that is no way intended to put down the poor employees who have been burned by management for decades.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/sears_tir...

I will think of the Willis Tower of being a memorial of the late singer.songwriter/artist Wesley Willis.
John O correction

Lake Zurich, IL

#2 Jul 15, 2009
"as being a memorial for..."
mrh

Nashville, TN

#3 Jul 15, 2009
I hope Willis knows this is queer
george w

Chicago, IL

#4 Jul 15, 2009
Oh no! Now I will have to think about Bruce Willis in his wife-beaters every time I walk by the SEARS Tower.:(((
Arnold

Wheaton, IL

#5 Jul 15, 2009
Wha' chew talkin''bout?
Comiskey 4Evr

Chicago, IL

#6 Jul 15, 2009
Hey Tribune, you know another place we Chicagoans still call by its original name?

Marshall Field's.

This is such a stupid decision by the owners of the Sears Tower. If I was another tenant in that building, especially if I were a bigger tenant with more floor space, I'd be royally p-ssed.

Willis Tower? What a first class joke. You'd think those idiots would have learned from the Macy's debacle.
Howman

Chicago, IL

#7 Jul 15, 2009
Relax everyone! Just pretend that the 35 year old Sears Tower just got married to Mr. Willis and took his name! The Sears Tower was a little past her prime. She was getting a little rough around the edges. There were other younger buildings that are more attractive. It's clock was ticking. It was about time! Congrats to the new Willis Tower!
Brad

Chicago, IL

#8 Jul 15, 2009
The building earned its worldwide reputation as the Sears Tower. This is the name that has brought acclaim to Chicago for more than 30 years. It didn't promote the Sears brand any more than the Hancock Building brings notoriety for John Hancock Insurance. These buildings aren't promoting brands or even their largest tenant, the well known, time tested names promote Chicago and their own notoriety as architectural achievements.

For Willis to commandeer the name, simply because it has leased 2 floors of the building - for a bargain basement price, no less - is shameful. WIllis didn't bring jobs to Chicago, they merely consolidated existing office in a move that saves them money. Yes, they're paying less per foot for their space in the SEARS Tower than they did for their other office spaces.

WIllis can take a flying leap into the lake and they have earned the disdain of every Chicagoan for disrespecting one our of city's proud landmarks.
Marvin8

Chicago, IL

#9 Jul 15, 2009
"Willis Tower? What a first class joke. You'd think those idiots would have learned from the Macy's debacle."

So true...ohhhhhh so true.
Comiskey 4Evr

Chicago, IL

#10 Jul 15, 2009
Howman wrote:
Relax everyone! Just pretend that the 35 year old Sears Tower just got married to Mr. Willis and took his name! The Sears Tower was a little past her prime. She was getting a little rough around the edges. There were other younger buildings that are more attractive. It's clock was ticking. It was about time! Congrats to the new Willis Tower!
Are you high right now?

How does renaming a building for a foreign corporation make a building's architecture 'look younger'? Sheesh.. Sober up.

Well, painfully obvious employee of Willis Insurance, could you explain why a common tenant that only owns two floors in a landmark building should have said landmark renamed in its grande honor? Especially when there are other more established, larger, older tenants in the building?

Just because?
donuts

Chicago, IL

#11 Jul 15, 2009
Sears Tower for life!
Richard

Chicago, IL

#12 Jul 15, 2009
The overwhelming majority of people in Chicago have made it clear that they don't like the name being changed and that they will continue to call the building the Sears Tower. Also, hundreds of millions of people around the world know of Chicago's famed Sears Tower, once the world's tallest building and the building that brought international acclaim to the city.

Given the extraordinary name recognition of the Sears Tower around here and around the world, are the Tribune and other newsmedia under any legal obligation to help Willis promote itself by referring to the building as the Willis Tower? If not, then they should continue to use the Sears Tower name. People in Chicago know and don't like the Willis name and the Willis name has no association with Chicago for people in other cities. Everyone is more likely to know what building the newsmedia is talking about if they simply continue to use the Sears Tower name.
Obama is a joke

Huntley, IL

#13 Jul 15, 2009
Who are the idiots that voted they would call it the Willis tower?

I-90 = Jane Adams Memorial... yeah RIGHT! It's 90 just like the Rosemont and Comiskey.
Barb Chicago

Chicago, IL

#14 Jul 15, 2009
Howman wrote:
Pass me some of whatever you are smoking!
raggedyann

Noblesville, IN

#15 Jul 15, 2009
Another example of the rich spending their money on stroking their ego. What a waste of money and time.
salamander

Frankfort, IL

#16 Jul 15, 2009
I'm just waiting for someone to get the naming rights to the city of Chicago!

Maybe Goldman Sachs!
Sarah

Chicago, IL

#17 Jul 15, 2009
Willis has made it clear that it has no respect for Chicago, our history, our traditions or our famed icon, the Sears Tower.

Willis' CEO boasted that the day he announced the name change, the entire country knew the Willis name, so he's quite pleased with himself. Well it's true that everyone knows the Willis name, but they certainly don't think well of it. In fact, the Willis name is now known for arrogance and self-interest at the expense of others. I know that my company is less likely to turn to Willis for insurance after this, and suspect that many others feel the same way.
Chicago Guy

United States

#18 Jul 15, 2009
salamander wrote:
I'm just waiting for someone to get the naming rights to the city of Chicago!
Maybe Goldman Sachs!
GoldmanSachsAgo - sounds alright!
Mr Drummond

Santa Clara, CA

#19 Jul 15, 2009
Tall, erect, and black. That's my Willis.
kavieng papua

Paso Robles, CA

#20 Jul 15, 2009
You will always be Chicago's Sears Tower. The Leaning Tower of Plumeri will be a joke for a real Chicagoan and 99.9% of the World. The geniuses at Willis obviously have no grasp of reality, i.e. Macy's. Yop think they would have done some research into the glorious architectural as well as the historic personages of our civitas such as McCormick, Pullman Sears, Field etc. Alas the degenerate New York/New Jersey types have no idea or a clue. Just a side note this is the same Willis just named in a $1bn lawsuit with the Stanford Financial fiasco.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willis Group Holdings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Willis Group Holdings' chief Joe Plumeri has pe... (Jun '09) May '10 customhatstore 133
News UA Operations Moves To Willis Tower (Aug '09) Aug '09 Chuck 9
News 'Willis Tower' name will live in shadow of 'Sea... (Jul '09) Aug '09 Steve321 38
News The building formerly known as Sears Tower (Jul '09) Jul '09 Randall Krause 2
News United Airlines may relocate operations center ... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Dave 67
News Sears Tower name change has few Chicago fans (Mar '09) Jul '09 Mandy 348
News Fla. lawsuit claims Willis insurance broker wro... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Randall Krause 1
More from around the web