Unions turn attention to Target

Unions turn attention to Target

There are 6 comments on the Toledo Blade story from Jul 31, 2011, titled Unions turn attention to Target. In it, Toledo Blade reports that:

Until recently, Target Corp. largely steered clear of the labor disputes and public relations challenges that have plagued Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the world's largest retailer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Toledo Blade.

Amazed

United States

#1 Jul 31, 2011
Behold as the unions use Target as a strategy tune up before making another run at walmart. If I were walmart I would be looking for some snappy answers on why it was so important to cut the hours of the hourly associates over the last month or so. I don't know if their old standby of simply blaming it on the well used "miscommunication" ploy and blaming it on the individual store's management will work again this time. Heavy handed decision made over and over since the last union attack will make it hard for an overconfident walmart team to defend themselves. Hard to explain to an associate why it was for their own good when they can't sleep at night because the a/c doesn't work when they can't afford to pay their light bill after having their hours cut. The group "Our Walmart" is collecting associate names and addresses at a pretty fast pace. Target is simply the tune up for the big game - should be interesting to watch.
fff

Gardners, PA

#2 Aug 2, 2011
Amazed wrote:
Behold as the unions use Target as a strategy tune up before making another run at walmart. If I were walmart I would be looking for some snappy answers on why it was so important to cut the hours of the hourly associates over the last month or so. I don't know if their old standby of simply blaming it on the well used "miscommunication" ploy and blaming it on the individual store's management will work again this time. Heavy handed decision made over and over since the last union attack will make it hard for an overconfident walmart team to defend themselves. Hard to explain to an associate why it was for their own good when they can't sleep at night because the a/c doesn't work when they can't afford to pay their light bill after having their hours cut. The group "Our Walmart" is collecting associate names and addresses at a pretty fast pace. Target is simply the tune up for the big game - should be interesting to watch.
Won't happen at either retailer.
Amazed

United States

#3 Aug 3, 2011
fff wrote:
<quoted text>Won't happen at either retailer.
Hope you are correct.
jason

Groton, CT

#4 Jul 7, 2012
screw unoins, someone else discussing my wages, helping the lazy people keep there jobs. NO THANKS
Reality

United States

#5 Jul 7, 2012
You know I think a union may be exactly what walmart needs. Someone close to the business that would keep their attention on what is actually happening in the company. Perhaps it would reduce the huge number of unethical things that are happening at walmart every day. The way walmart treats their employees is another strong reason a union might be good. Pick up a newspaper or go on the internet and read story after story about walmart's real ethics behind the scenes. All walmart does is deny deny deny and say that it was a union funded tactic. That excuse may work a few times but it has gotten tired - one story sure - 10 stories - ok maybe - but story after story after story - yep there is some truth to those stories after all. Walmart can't seem to come clean on their own - I think having some third party there to help keep them honest may be just what walmart needs. Are the unions squeaky clean?- nope. Are they cleaner than walmart by a long shot?- I used to not think so but now I would say absolutely. Think to yourself - in the last 6 months how many investigations have uncovered large scale wrong doing at the unions? During the same time how many investigations have uncovered large scale wrong doing at walmart?. I think you have your answer.
jason

Groton, CT

#6 Jul 7, 2012
Have you worked at walmart? Were you treated bad? Have you talked to ANY current or former emplyees? Or are you getting this info from anti-walmart web sites? I work for walmart, I can read these stories you speak of. I just don't see it. You would need a court case to tell the truth. Word of advice, DON'T BELIVE EVERYTHING YOU READ! Do some research, contact the bbb, make your own opinion. Don't follow someone else's idea.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wal Mart Stores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Spoilage - Expired Salads 1 hr shelly 1
News Hillary Clinton: Confederate Flag 'Shouldn't Fl... 1 hr No mas 43
Wal Mart background check (Apr '10) Wed Brodie 376
Injured On the Job at Walmart - Have Concerns Wed Karen 4
background check question Jun 29 curious 14
Get a $250 Walmart Holiday Gift Card (Dec '13) Jun 26 Stacey caldwell 52
New CAP team Jun 26 gobitchaboutit 2
More from around the web