Wal-Mart to break ground for Orange C...

Wal-Mart to break ground for Orange Co. store - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and W...

There are 20 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jun 18, 2012, titled Wal-Mart to break ground for Orange Co. store - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and W.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is preparing to break ground for a new Supercenter in Orange County that's expected to create about 300 jobs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

nelson

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jun 18, 2012
this is crazy, Walmart after Walmart on 29 north, how about another one somewhere between Charlottesville and Madison Heights on 29 south. this would be great for those that have to travel some 45mins to get to a decent place to shop other than 10 different dollar stores.
Dude

Bumpass, VA

#2 Jun 18, 2012
Jeff

Winchester, VA

#3 Jun 18, 2012
nelson wrote:
this is crazy, Walmart after Walmart on 29 north, how about another one somewhere between Charlottesville and Madison Heights on 29 south. this would be great for those that have to travel some 45mins to get to a decent place to shop other than 10 different dollar stores.
29 doesn't go thru Orange.
Bob

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jun 18, 2012
300 low wage employees with no health care selling Chinese junk. What great news.
CvilleGordo

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Jun 18, 2012
Bob wrote:
300 low wage employees with no health care selling Chinese junk. What great news.
Don't be bitter, it's no one else's fault that you couldn't get hired as a part-time shelf stocker job at the new WalMart.

Not sure what planet you're from, but on this one, WalMart does offer a comprehensive benefits package - including a health plan - to it's employees. They have rolled back some benefits to part time employees, and they have increased premiums (employee portion) on some plans for full time employees - but that is very typical of what is happening all over the country. How many people do you know who have NOT had their employee portion of their health coverage increase in the past 2-3 years?

And why don't you give us some examples of all the Chinese junk you're talking about; or specifically, give us some data that shows that what WalMart sells is predominately "Chinese junk".

Last time I checked, and I was there yesterday, WalMart sells just about everything - store brands, name brands, discount brands, etc. and the country of origin is of course not only China. They buy products from more than 60,000 suppliers in 70 countries. And oh, they also buy plenty of American products.

Can you give us an example of a major discount store similar to WalMart that does not buy products manufactured overseas?
Townie

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Jun 18, 2012
Selling cheap Chinese goods produced by Chinese labor (at a fraction of the cost of American labor) is nothing more than "good business" in a global free market economy. The rich get richer, middle class manufacturing jobs continue to evaporate, and the economy continues slide toward disaster.

To paraphrase Mel Brooks, we have the best government money can buy. That's not a democracy, but rather a form of economic feudalism.
Dude

Bumpass, VA

#8 Jun 18, 2012
CvilleGordo wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be bitter, it's no one else's fault that you couldn't get hired as a part-time shelf stocker job at the new WalMart.
Not sure what planet you're from, but on this one, WalMart does offer a comprehensive benefits package - including a health plan - to it's employees. They have rolled back some benefits to part time employees, and they have increased premiums (employee portion) on some plans for full time employees - but that is very typical of what is happening all over the country. How many people do you know who have NOT had their employee portion of their health coverage increase in the past 2-3 years?
And why don't you give us some examples of all the Chinese junk you're talking about; or specifically, give us some data that shows that what WalMart sells is predominately "Chinese junk".
Last time I checked, and I was there yesterday, WalMart sells just about everything - store brands, name brands, discount brands, etc. and the country of origin is of course not only China. They buy products from more than 60,000 suppliers in 70 countries. And oh, they also buy plenty of American products.
Can you give us an example of a major discount store similar to WalMart that does not buy products manufactured overseas?
http://www.pbs.org/itvs/storewars/stores3.htm...
CvilleGordo

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Jun 18, 2012
Dude wrote:
OK - I still don't see anything that tells me WalMart sells predominitely "Chinese junk" or that what they sell is much different than any other major discount store chain, or that the trends in their benefits packages are much different than what is happening nationwide. Which part, precisely, of my post was incorrect?
CvilleGordo

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jun 18, 2012
And is their compensation really much different than any other discount chain? When we are talking about their lowest paid employees, we are are after all, to address the conveniently-ignored 800 pound gorilla in the room; talking about employees with little or no former job skills, and only basic (high school) education, and quite often, very limited English skills. Have you tried to strike up a conversation with a typical night-time stocker in WalMart lately? Wagetards and other assorted tofu-dribbling libtards love to spew talking-point venom about wages; the truth is that those making the law wages are poorly educated and unskilled. Those with skills move up in the organization.
Stop the Liberal Agenda

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Jun 18, 2012
300 jobs delayed for years under Obama because of liberal handwringing about jobkilling environmental and historical concerns of the limosine liberals that put salamanders above Americans! You want nature, that is what Animal Planet is for! You want history, that is what the History Channel is for! Stop killing jobs you stupid liberals!
Mitt Romney

Nokesville, VA

#13 Jun 18, 2012
Stop the Liberal Agenda wrote:
300 jobs delayed for years under Obama because of liberal handwringing about jobkilling environmental and historical concerns of the limosine liberals that put salamanders above Americans! You want nature, that is what Animal Planet is for! You want history, that is what the History Channel is for! Stop killing jobs you stupid liberals!
You really hit the hammer on the head with that one! My 3 point plan for this outlines:
1. More taxes on the Animal Channel & the History Planet to help pay for litigation against Target.
2. More taxes on the Chinese making these cheap things for the Russians.
3. Pulling the tails off Salamanders just to watch them grow back will be about all the entertainment people will be able to afford when I'm elected!
4. I forgot this was only a 3 point plan!

Romney/Walton 2006
Dude

Bumpass, VA

#14 Jun 18, 2012
CvilleGordo wrote:
And is their compensation really much different than any other discount chain? When we are talking about their lowest paid employees, we are are after all, to address the conveniently-ignored 800 pound gorilla in the room; talking about employees with little or no former job skills, and only basic (high school) education, and quite often, very limited English skills. Have you tried to strike up a conversation with a typical night-time stocker in WalMart lately? Wagetards and other assorted tofu-dribbling libtards love to spew talking-point venom about wages; the truth is that those making the law wages are poorly educated and unskilled. Those with skills move up in the organization.
The 800 pound gorilla in the room is the loss of entry level manufacturing jobs.
Free trade is not fair trade, and while I can appreciate your objectivist free market approach, in the long term it is bad for our nation.
I know you don't care about the USA, but many of us still have served it and love it. This is far from a socially liberal talking point; this has everything to do with national security.
Remember, Walmart doesn't produce anything, all it does is selling. So those that move up the organization still don't produce anything. Its loyalty is to the shareholder, and it should be.
Do you remember the term trickledown economics? Well, it does work; the problem is that we're trickling down our wealth to industrializing nations that have no labor laws or no environmental standards. They're also our economic and military adversaries. If you say that over regulation is our fault, then you're overlooking the fact that Henry Ford became one of the wealthiest men in the history of our planet by offering wages that were unheard of. The other point is the health of our nation. Clean air and water is not and should not be a luxury, it is a civil right.
I think people have a right to buy cheap crap that they don't need, such as Christmas lights that were made by Christians in the Laogai. I think there are many business practices of walmart that should be criticized, but they're not illegal.
FWIW, I'm not against big box stores. Our glasses and measuring cups were purchased at Walmart, both manufactured by Anchor (made in the USA)and Sam's club offers a large varity of made in the USA products.
I mostly think that the US consumer is to blame. I personally believe that it is equally patriotic of me to support the American worker and purchase goods manufactured in the USA, as it was of those who supported me when I was deployed in the Middle East.
The sad part of all this is that those low wage earners that produce nothing still qualify for government subsistance:
http://www.dsausa.org/lowwage/walmart/2004/wa...
thirsty

Laurel, MD

#15 Jun 18, 2012
I bet the "Sons of the Confederacy" don't consider themselves "limosine liberals"
Dude

Bumpass, VA

#16 Jun 18, 2012
http://www.epi.org/publication/ib235/

The beauty of all of this is that even during the recession, China's economy has increased by double digits, while ours has slowed to historically low rates, even in a time when taxation is at historic lows.
As CvilleGordo correctly points out above, it's not just Walmart; it's all the discounters. The reason it's called "the Walmart effect" is because Walmart is the single largest importer of Chinese made goods.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows...
Ironically, this trade imbalance is the direct result of unfair regulation. If you read my previous post, you would have seen the terms "free trade is not fair trade." While we live up to the fair trade statues; industrializing nations don't.
The bottom line is we need to protect our countrymen from economically hostile nations. While we outsource and insource to illegal labor, we have citizens that either won't work, or can't find work if they wanted to. It is because we are such a wealthy nation, that we have such liberal social insurance policies. Those policies are creating generations of those that think they're entitled, so wealth producers like you and I are paying for them, while they purchase stuff from other countries. It's a vicious cycle.
Besides, most liberals would allow battlefields to get mowed over. Look at what Szakos wanted to do to the statuesin McIntire Park. Most battlefield historians are far from liberal.
bob

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Jun 18, 2012
China will be so happy that they have another outlet to sell their junk here in the U.S.
did you hear that

Culpeper, VA

#18 Jun 18, 2012
Say goodbye to the small business near lake of the woods.
concerned mom

Orange, VA

#19 Jun 19, 2012
Orange needs some type of tax revenue. This will be the first new (big) business in Orange Co. in a very very very long time. So what if is a Walmart at least it is something. Jobs being created and tax revenue coming into the county, sounds pretty good to me. Oh, and by the way look at the tags and labels of what you buy now at other stores. Walmart is not the only store who sells goods made out of the U.S.A.
Dude

Bumpass, VA

#20 Jun 19, 2012
concerned mom wrote:
Orange needs some type of tax revenue. This will be the first new (big) business in Orange Co. in a very very very long time. So what if is a Walmart at least it is something. Jobs being created and tax revenue coming into the county, sounds pretty good to me. Oh, and by the way look at the tags and labels of what you buy now at other stores. Walmart is not the only store who sells goods made out of the U.S.A.
I do agree with your sentiment, and wish people would purchase US made goods.
Due to its location, I think that it won't affect Orange as much. The biggest benefactor of this will be central Orange. The small business will feel little to no affect of the opening, and will reap the rewards of the tax revenue. The biggest losers will be East Orange (Locust Grove region), East Culpeper, and Western Spotsylvania.
Dude

Bumpass, VA

#21 Jun 19, 2012
bob wrote:
China will be so happy that they have another outlet to sell their junk here in the U.S.
Their economy is growing, even during the recession at double digit rates and their unemployment is around 4%.
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/eco_gdp_rea...
Our unemployment is almost double digit and our GDP is growing at less than 3%
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18508651
reality bites

Charlottesville, VA

#22 Jun 19, 2012
As the middle class shrinks to oblivion more and more people will be spending their bucks based on their budget not whether its made in America or not. Its the money stupid, ain't that what they say? More and more are even buying their groceries there. Its nice to buy made in the USA but alas that notion is fast becoming old hat. I don't blame people at all for doing what they need to do to survive and this is what its come to. If Walfart wants to take advantage of the current economic woos of this corrupt land, fine, its called capitalism ain't it? You eat what you sew.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wal Mart Stores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News After raising wages, Walmart slashes hours 6 hr Kevn 1
News Hillary Clinton: Confederate Flag 'Shouldn't Fl... 7 hr Laroy 292
Wal Mart background check (Apr '10) 9 hr Noreen 408
News Union uses Wal-Mart workers in TV ad 2:47PM EST (Nov '06) 21 hr Farts 21
Get a $250 Walmart Holiday Gift Card (Dec '13) Thu krystle pickens 54
Walmart app Sep 2 Espressoface 2
Question regarding Wal Mart alcohol policy (Jul '12) Sep 1 Mike 185
More from around the web