Wal-Mart may 'super-size' in Chester

Wal-Mart may 'super-size' in Chester

There are 16 comments on the OnlineChester story from Nov 13, 2007, titled Wal-Mart may 'super-size' in Chester. In it, OnlineChester reports that:

“People from all over the globe are asking, 'Can we get that one?'”

Wal-Mart may 'super-size' in Chester Chester County may get a Wal-Mart Super Center. via OnlineChester

Join the discussion below, or Read more at OnlineChester.

Robert

Chester, SC

#1 Dec 30, 2007
That would be an excellent idea and excellent investment for walmart. The Walmart right now in Chester, city does not have half of the thing because of size of the store and people has to go to other store and pay higher prices. It would be an excellent idea to ahve super walmart in Chester city.
joyce

Chester, SC

#2 Jan 10, 2008
Chester certainly does need a super walmart. As the person above commented we usually have to go out of town to purchase items we need.With the price of fuel now,we need to save gas money to spend at Walmart in our home town.
walmartus

Ridgeway, SC

#3 Jan 10, 2008
Just what we need to close up the rest of the business in Chester. Ghost city. They should build it in Richburg.
Southerngurl

Great Falls, SC

#4 Jan 17, 2008
That would be Great, for Chester! There are alot of things that are carried in Lancaster and Rock Hill Walmart stores that arent carried here.It would be better for familes on fixed incomes that they didnt have to travel 30 miles to the nearest super wal-mart.With fuel at 3.00 gal.Plus it may help the job market here.
Janet

Great Falls, SC

#5 Feb 24, 2011
Why? So it can get trashed like every other store here! People here have no idea how to keep their town looking nice. Build one in Richburg!
Amazed

United States

#6 Feb 25, 2011
Wow. It's like Walmart is doing you some kind of public service - providing you the opportunity to pay about what you pay for everything now but you will have the chance to destroy you local businesses and alter your tax base in the process. Sounds great. Did you read the story today about Walmart's plans to invest more in their overseas business? So you can not only pay the same AND destroy your local economy - you can actually send your money to your friends overseas. How could you not jump at that chance? Don't take my word for it. Study up and make your own choice. Real life at Walmart does not match the commercials - look for yourself.
Stric9

Rock Hill, SC

#7 Feb 25, 2011
Maybe they'll build it big enough to put a trailer park in the middle of it.
southcarolina girl

United States

#8 May 25, 2011
when is Sam's Club coming to Chester...
kweezy

Charlotte, NC

#9 Jul 3, 2011
It would be great but I would worry about other local businesses but the job increase would maybe make up for the other lost jobs since Walmart would have to employ so may workers. Putting one in Richburg also sounds like a good idea but I think the same problem would still exist!! Riichburg isn't any bigger than Chester and it would prob have the same impact.
business

Chester, SC

#10 Nov 10, 2011
Definitely need one super walmart in Chester SC. Old folks running this town will run it down. It is a historic town soon to be history. Need some bigger in town which brings so many other stores and constructions and bring more revenue to the city. Right now city collects most money from keep raising taxes to people living in city which is forcing people move out of the city. People have to drive too much for smallest need. If we we get super walmart it will definitely change the city for better. Better living and better life.
rebecca

Chester, SC

#11 Dec 11, 2011
I agree that the Super Walmart would cause some business to close but it would also attract other businesses and heighten the employment rate. a Super Walmart would also be good in Richburg because of I-77
tear4u

United States

#12 Dec 22, 2011
It will never happen the powers at be in Chester will stop any new growth that will hurt there friends business. You know the ones on the boards and city councils. Big business in Chester what a joke. Better off in Richburg they are growing faster anyways
TIGERLILY2828

Chester, SC

#13 Apr 16, 2012
HI i was hoping someone could let me know which company is doing the masonary work aka construction work my husband is in dier need of a job he is going nuts and he is one of those guys who has to work or he drives himself and me crazy so if anyone could let me know which company is doing the new walmart id appreciate it-nicole
GoawayRichburg

Rock Hill, SC

#14 Apr 22, 2012
rebecca wrote:
I agree that the Super Walmart would cause some business to close but it would also attract other businesses and heighten the employment rate. a Super Walmart would also be good in Richburg because of I-77
Yes, go ahead and build it in Richburg. Richburg has NOTHING to offer, Chester has a lot. There are people who see the big picture and frankly, Richburg has nothing but the interstate....no historic sites and no leadership. It is really, really sad that the people out in richburg try REPEATEDLY and with no hope of sucess to lure business away from the City. They fail to see that bringing people into the heart of the county would benefit all the people of the county, not just Richburg and Lando.
kalyn

Chester, SC

#15 Jul 14, 2012
As much as I am aware of and disagree with some Walmart practices, a super store will bring jobs, additional products residents must go out of town to buy and it will bring other businesses to the bypass. Perhaps too, it will bring beautification of the area as residents and the town itself will encourage a better looking street in order to bring/keep new businesses. I hope this will be a boon for Chester, a town with an already beleaguered reputation. Hopefully though, those who run the new store will not continue to rip off the residents of Chester County by charging higher prices for the same products offered in neighboring counties. I've seen this practice take place for years and wonder why it is allowed to happen. Let's let this place give Chester a chance.
Amazed

United States

#16 Jul 14, 2012
I understand your hopes but I am afraid the reality won't be quite what you are looking for. The only thing the supercenter will bring in is the construction of the buidling - which will be contracted out to a builder that already builds on walmart after another. They may hire a few people in addition but the contractors will bring their own people for the most part. The hotels will do good for a while during the construction and set up. Once the doors swing open the few benefits will end and the taking from the community will begin. They will hand out $25,000 in wlaton foundation grants to show they are a "partner" in the community - they have a net profit each month that is over $200,000 after all the bills are paid so they won't miss the little $25K expense much.
You may get come additional taxes brought in as the supercenter draws people in from surrounding areas but that is about it. The additional sales tax your community may get isn't new or created - it is taken from the communities where those people used to shop so the surrounding areas sales tax base will actually go down. A lot of times people get so wrapped up in the hope for a better day they don't understand that wal-mart does not create any additional money within the community - the same money that is in the community before walmart got there is what is there once walmart opens - walmart does not create money in a community. It simply concentrates what was previously spread over the entire area into one place. I understand that some of the stores do overcharge and you want them to suffer for that and believe me when walmart opens you can be sure they will suffer greatly. Unfortunately the businesses that charge fair prices will also suffer greatly right along with them and whatever business they have built will be damaged severely. At the end of the day the difference is that those local businesses put there money in the local bank and spend not all of it but a great deal more of it locally. Every last penny walmart takes in will go into a local bank for sure but every night walmart does a "sweep" and removes every penny from the local bank and sends it to Bentonville, Arkansas. So in the end the amount of money that was circulating in the community WILL go down because the biggest business is no circulating money - it is removing money. Again walmart doesn't bring any money into a community - they take it out. What about the salaries of the walmart employees? Yes those local employees will put their money in the bank and spend it locally. Here again the thing to understand is from a community standpoint you are not gaining jobs - for every walmart job you gain be sure you are losing another one somewhere else where the business drops off or completely stops. Unfortunately the new jobs are probably not going to pay as well as the old jobs and they are not going to last as long. Walmart is known to have a turnover rate sometimes higher than 100%- the appearance is that they are creating tons of jobs but in reality they simply can't keep the people the originally hired so they are constantly replacing them. I understand you hopes and I wish you well but don't hang your dreams on walmart because they are not going to come true. Take a look at your single most unethical business that takes advantage of people in every way it can - that business is nothing when it comes to a lack of ethics when you compare it to walmart. Walmart is there for one reason and one reason only - to remove the maximum amount of money out of the community and into walmart's account in Bentonville, Arkansas - it is why they exist and it is who they are. Bribing people in Mexico and China costs big money - it has to come from somewhere. It appears your community may be making its contribution in the future if walmart comes in. Good luck to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wal Mart Stores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wal Mart background check (Apr '10) 5 hr Mistress Mary 499
News At Latest Summit, Wal-Mart Seeks More American-... 10 hr Walmart Smoke 1
Video Game Contractor info 13 hr Bosox3 1
Mural Chapel & Walmart, who are they? What do t... 21 hr LongTimeDeptMgr 2
Looking for a managers response 21 hr LongTimeDeptMgr 21
Question regarding Wal Mart alcohol policy (Jul '12) Jun 26 Ricky 286
why is it so hard to get promoted??? (Mar '12) Jun 26 Eddie 22
More from around the web