Question regarding Wal Mart alcohol p...

Question regarding Wal Mart alcohol policy

Posted in the Wal Mart Stores Forum

First Prev
of 23
Next Last
Customer

Modesto, CA

#1 Jul 2, 2012
Two friends and I recently visited a Wal Mart. One of my friends decided to buy a bottle of 750mL bottle of wine among other goods. When we all approached the register, upon grabbing the bottle of wine the cashier said "I need to see all your guys' ID's."

At this point I asked her why and she explained that the policy is that anybody who appears to be under the age of 40 must furnish an ID. I'm familiar with this as it is the same policy at the retail store that I work at. I then told her that there was no reason for her to request my ID because neither me or my other friend who was not buying the wine had touched the wine or tried to pay for the wine. She again said that this was their policy and I asked to speak to the manager.

When the manager approached the register I explained the situation and she too said that their policy was that anyone who appeared to be under 40 must be ID'd. At this time I asked the cashier in front of the manager, "Had I came here with someone who was older, lets say 35 - or my father, if it was my father, would you have ID'd me?" She then said, "Honestly, I probably wouldn't have." Then, since I had first said someone who looked 35 (not thinking about the 40 and under policy), she said, "Actually I would have because our policy is anyone under 40." Regardless, I was talking about myself being ID'd, not the person buying and she had at first admitted that she wouldnt ID me.

The manager refused the sale and I asked for the district phone number. I figure that it just depends who you have on the register and whether or not they are going to choose to abuse their power. As I said, at my store we have the same policy, but there has to be a reason to ID the people being asked, for example, they must have either been seen choosing the alcohol, exchanging money for it, handling it, or doing something suspicious such as walking away from their party when the purchase is being made. In this case we did none of this, and that is why I am so upset over what happened and the fact that the cashier admitted she would not have ID'd me in another situation.

My question to you guys is whether or not Wal Mart has the same policy. If we did not touch the alcohol or exchange money for it or anything, did she still have a reason (according to Wal Mart policy) to ask for our IDs. I also want to know that the matter has been taken care of. How can I assure that in the end it has been after speaking to the district manager.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
jason

Groton, CT

#2 Jul 7, 2012
Yes, they were right in to ask for i.d. from everyone. If the merchant (walmart) suspects the customer will buy beer, wine or smokes for under age use, they can deny your sale. However if you would still like some answers. walmart.com click on letter to the president, or 1800-walmart. I hoped this helped

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Reality

United States

#3 Jul 7, 2012
Jason - your talking point are showing. No merchant (talking point vocabulary) has the right to ask everyone in a group for ID when someone is buying liquor. You check the ID of the person that is paying for the liquor and that is the ONLY ID you can request. The store clerk or cashier has every right to deny the sale if they feel uncomfortable for any reason or believe a straw purchase may be happening - even in such a case the store DOES NOT have the obligation nor right to request everyone's ID. if they feel uncomfortable they can deny the sale to THE PERSON MAKING THE PURCHASE - other people with them are not part of the transaction and cannot be ID'ed.

I would suggest you go on the internet and look up your state's alcoholic beverage commision and file a complaint. All 1800walmart will do is give you the run around like they do everyone else.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
jason

Groton, CT

#4 Jul 7, 2012
If you buy or with someone who is going to buy liquor you must have an i.d. and show when asked. YOUR WRONG AGAIN!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
jake

Shingle Springs, CA

#5 Nov 22, 2012
jason wrote:
If you buy or with someone who is going to buy liquor you must have an i.d. and show when asked. YOUR WRONG AGAIN!
That is idiotic and an invasion of privacy. I was at a WalMart today and they asked for my wife's id. I was purchasing the wine, and we are both over 40. I refused, talked to the manager and bought my wine. You act like this is normal and legal. I think you work for WalMart and believe in this dumb policy. WalMart is not on the hook if I give alcohol to a minor. I am.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Customer

United States

#6 Nov 22, 2012
At first I was going to pursue the issue further but in the end I decided to just let it go. I've just chose not to shop ay Wal Mart any longer.
As I said in my original post, I work retail too where alcohol is sold. The cashier at Wal Mart would have had the right to ID my other friend and I had she been suspicious he was purchasing for us. But she has to have a reason to suspect (as I said, seeing money exchange hands, one of us holding or choosing the alcohol, etc.), they can't go off of some psychic huntch.
In the end though I chose not to go on a power trip the way she did just to prove a point
Anonymous

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Nov 23, 2012
I work at Walmart and this IS the policy, everybody should have an ID on them at all times anyway. Grow up and accept that this is the stores policy and you are not above anybody else.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Kris

Buellton, CA

#8 Jan 28, 2013
I was asked for my ID for a beer purchase today along with my 18 year old son.. I was buying the beer for me & my husband not him.. I am his parent not a friend trying to pull one over on WalMart!! stupid & infuriating.. I had to make 2 separate purchases wait in line twice and send my son to the car with the goods I purchased while I waited in line to make the beer purchase... If i were the type of parent to buy beer for my under age kid then that would be my choice not Walmarts.. are they really trying to tell me how to parent my child!! STUPID policy!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Walmart cashier

United States

#9 Feb 1, 2013
I am a cashier at walmart and it is their policy. . . In my opinion I think it is a dumb policy ... And I agree with the whole whoever buys it is responsible not the cashier .. Managers tell us we can be fined n blah blah blah taken to court lose our liquor license for not I.d.ing everyone so put yourself in our position .. I hate to deny sales but if I have to I will ... what I find unfair is at walmart the age is 40 at sams its 27.. I don't know its stressful..... I hate selling alcohol. And I was just told the other day that... Wel when you scan alcohol the register asks if customer is under 40 press enter (yes) total (no) when you press enter/yes it asks for the birthday... I was told now if you accidently press enter you have to ask for I.d. And enter the birthday they can't just tell you the month day and year you have to see the I.d. If not deny the sale
Walmart cashier

United States

#10 Feb 1, 2013
I understand it helps to prevent underage drinking and all that but I dont find it fair that walmart is the only retail store with that policy.. We supposably get under covers from the agd alcohol gaming dept. Or sid special investigation division they enforce and investigate rules of regulation they can walk into any licensed premise any day or hour of the day... For not having your alcohol license with you at the register for these under covers to see is a 500 dollar fine.. Selling to a minor 5000 dollar fine and 18 months jail
David

Chandler, AZ

#11 Feb 5, 2013
The best 1-800-walmart will do, is tell you the company line is, or what is next on their little sheet of talking points, waste of time. Managers will do anything they need to do to get rid of you, lie, gift card, etc. The managers are supposed to call you if you call the 1-800 number, but most of them lie about making the calls any way.
yeehaa

Renton, WA

#12 Feb 15, 2013
Tell wallmart to take their policy and shove it where the sun don't shine. There are other places to by beer
the ninja

Circleville, OH

#13 Feb 24, 2013
Wal mart sells beer, whiskey, etc and stuff like that???????
CSM

South Fulton, TN

#14 Mar 1, 2013
I am a CSM at a Walmart in Kentucky. It is our policy to I.D. EVERYONE who appears to be in the party when checking out at any register, even if they look 100 years old......sale is denied if even one person cannot produce a proper I.D.! There IS a gray area if a person within party seems like an older teenager or young adult, but I tell my cashiers to ID them if they seem old enough to get a driver license. Obviously a 12 year old cannot get an ID.
Ali

Portland, OR

#15 Mar 1, 2013
I was just in Walmart with my mom and they would not sell her a bottle of wine because I was with her. After saying that she is my mom the manager then said she refused to sell the wine to her. The reason: her niece was with also who she takes care of and since she is mixed the cashier assumed she was not her daughter also... She just looked at her and said " well who is she?" Pointing to my mixed cousin. And when she replied she was the legal guardian they still refused to do so. My mom asked for the manager and the manager said that she wouldn't do anything since the cashier already denied the purchase. For them to assume that my mom was not our legal guardian and question my cousin because she is a different color was ridicules. I'm 20 years old and my cousin who my mom has guardianship over is 14, she also would not have an ID. It's one thing to have a policy and another to not sell it to my mom who didn't just grab some random kids and bring them in with her. We left the store and app our groceries.
Joannie

Lemont, IL

#16 Mar 7, 2013
I had this happen. My husband and I do not drink. I was buying two carts of groceries for a birthday party and got a case of beer for my guests. I understood them asking for my ID even though I'm 46, but asking my 16 yr old and 18 yr old, she did not ask for one from my 11 yr old or 5 yr old. She wouldn't sell to me because my children were underaged. I left about $500 worth of groceries, household/cleaning supplies, etc. They are going overboard with this and need to retrain employees on who this policy applies to.
Kevin

Vader, WA

#17 May 9, 2013
CSM wrote:
I am a CSM at a Walmart in Kentucky. It is our policy to I.D. EVERYONE who appears to be in the party when checking out at any register, even if they look 100 years old......sale is denied if even one person cannot produce a proper I.D.! There IS a gray area if a person within party seems like an older teenager or young adult, but I tell my cashiers to ID them if they seem old enough to get a driver license. Obviously a 12 year old cannot get an ID.
So I guess you don't care that I bought booze for the 12 year old huh? see how damn stupid your policy is!?
Nunyabusiness

Houston, TX

#18 May 10, 2013
There is no law that requires a merchant to id a customer over the age of 21 for the sale of alcohol. I understand walmart wants to cover their butts when it comes to minors but when you are clearly looking an adult in the face this policy is rediculous. I was told by a cashier today in walmart that my license was going to expire in a few months and I should get it taken care of.. I am 43 years old and I have never had to have walmart tell me it's almost time to renew my license before. I really wanted to tell her it was none of her business when I renewed my license but I took my receipt and walked out...
Tashabee

Springfield, MO

#19 May 26, 2013
That is nothing! I went today to buy raspberry puree, that doesnt contain alcohol, and i wasnt allowed to buy it because it said drink mix. I was buying that and 7up. But still i was denied the right to purchase it. And that was at our local Hyvee. which im now refusing to shop at!
Darla

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#20 May 29, 2013
I was recently in Walmart in Orlando, Florida on vacation with my adult children and husband. My son was celebrating his 30th birthday and we were extremely excited for our vacation. My 30 year old son and his wife were making a grocery purchase in front of us in line. Although, my daughter-in-law was making the purchase she took away their wine and beer because my son who was standing there did not have ID. That didn't make sense to me because my son was not making the purchase. My husband and I were next in line and I had a bottle of wine in my order. The cashier reached over and removed my wine! I said to her that this was my order and had nothing to do with my son as we were each purchasing our own groceries for the condo. I also said to her that I am 51 years old and certainly old enough to purchase alcohol. She became very argumentative and literally pushed her sign in front of my face. This was not a nice way to start our family vacation with a clerk in Walmart yelling at me in front of other customers. Talk about customer service. We went down the road to a liquor store and my son came into the store. No problem at all. When I explained what happened, the liquor store employee indicated that he would use common sense. So, there are reasonable and intelligent people but, they do not work at Walmart. Interestingly, this clerk knew we came from Walmart. I am sure this has helped his sales.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wal Mart Stores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New scheduling system 2017 (Jan '17) 10 hr Toosilly12 30
Wal Mart background check (Apr '10) Aug 18 Jcrawford2713 670
Walmart pay period. (Nov '16) Aug 18 IKnow 22
Your denunciation of president Trump Aug 16 Evelyn Valentine 1
Wal Mart vs other stores Aug 14 Anonymous 1
Walmart management team, a haven for bullies an... (Jun '12) Aug 5 Chuck Eye 52
Walmart Closing at Midnight (Feb '13) Aug 3 Goulet 31
More from around the web