Say Goodbye To the Wal-Mart Greeters

Say Goodbye To the Wal-Mart Greeters

There are 8 comments on the KSEE-TV Fresno story from Jan 31, 2012, titled Say Goodbye To the Wal-Mart Greeters. In it, KSEE-TV Fresno reports that:

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. will begin moving greeters into its stores from the lobbies, ending a long tradition of having customers see employees as soon as they enter the building.The greeters will be moved near the cash registers to direct shoppers to products or shorter checkout lines.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KSEE-TV Fresno.

Amazed

United States

#1 Jan 31, 2012
Next the Executive Team will travel to the cemetery where they will pee on Sam's grave - the team says it may appear disrespectful but it is actually to honor the founder of the company they are destroying. All of Walton's surviving children will be in attendance as well.
Walmart Ex

Duncanville, TX

#2 Jan 31, 2012
This is probably to make sure that they are doing something every second of the time spent on the clock. I hope that their pay rate rises above the door greeters rate since they will have more job responsibilities now. I am curious as to how this will help keep prices low. It's obvious to me that it will increase profits for Walmart.
Amazed

Longview, TX

#3 Feb 7, 2012
Walmart Ex wrote:
This is probably to make sure that they are doing something every second of the time spent on the clock. I hope that their pay rate rises above the door greeters rate since they will have more job responsibilities now. I am curious as to how this will help keep prices low. It's obvious to me that it will increase profits for Walmart.
It was probably a cube rat efficiecy engineer that has never stepped foot in a store that told them it would be a good idea to do this. Since the executives are kind of lost they seem to take a lot of strange advice and then call it "their vision". Eduardo's "vision" costed them about $30 billion in lost sales and they are still not right today. Now they have become a company that simply rides the reputation of the ghosts of executives long passed - the company has not moved forward in any way that is beneficial to the customer in about 10 years.
Walmart Ex

Duncanville, TX

#4 Feb 12, 2012
I have been in several Walmarts in the past week and the door greeters are still there. They are just not at their podium in the center of the aisle. They can be found lurking around the corner, almost as though they are hiding. Seems like the stores do not want to do what they have been ordered to do. This is a dumb move and I predict that the door greeters will be back in position before long. This is a Walmart tradition and it sets them apart from all other stores. Wise up Bentonville!
Verlando

Moses Lake, WA

#5 Feb 24, 2012
The greeters have been the highlight of the store trip for me for quite some time. They're polite, friendly and fun to visit with. Contrast that with their new 'security' people who want to see your receipt as you leave the store and it's very difficult to imagine the greeters going before the security tards. The security tards is one reason I stopped doing business with Costco years ago and it makes it a much easier decision to do my shopping elsewhere, even if it means paying a little more. I've never really been a Walmart "hater" but am coming to a better understanding of those who felt that way as I start having similar feelings myself. My hope would be that elimination of the greeters helps neighboring businesses survive. Their departure really will make a difference with me as the pleasantries of the greeters are replaced with the insult of being stopped and harassed about a receipt - that's nothing less than calling me a thief and the greeters never did that.
Lisa

Ormond Beach, FL

#6 Mar 1, 2012
I loved our greeter at Walmart in Noblesville, IN!
When you entered the store, he was there in all his glory! Smiling and sometimes even dancing. "Welcome to Walmart, I love my job", he would say. He was one of the most personable people I ever met. He was the reason I kept going back to that store! He always had a kind word for me and everyone else. He simply made my day! I miss him and I'm sorry to hear that he will not be at the ENTRY of the store anymore. BAD MOVE, WALLY World!!!!!
Mmmmkay

Rineyville, KY

#7 Apr 26, 2012
Former walmart manager.
The greeteres is just simply the next phase in walmarts down fall. By this time next year they will be gone. They ae weining them out gradually.
And we need to all start the spreading of the word that walmart used to be able to avoid but no longer i feel...unions. They can get in now and protect the associates. And would be a major blow to the company. Help spead the word so they will vegin the union stride again.
Amazed

United States

#8 Apr 28, 2012
Walmart seems to be doing a great job of inviting the unions in themselves here in the last week or so. There are still more headlines ahead - it is only just beginning to rain iin walmart's little eutopia.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wal Mart Stores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wal-mart to offer severence packages to long te... (Sep '07) 9 hr dovia31 27
Walmart new time off policy (Feb '16) 11 hr Hmariecastro 119
Wal Mart background check (Apr '10) Feb 20 Lanasky 620
Question regarding Wal Mart alcohol policy (Jul '12) Feb 20 Lynda 417
News Walmart 'appalled' at racist PA remark (Mar '10) Feb 17 Ladycranky7 135
Store Neglect On the Horizon Feb 17 BuckeyeJim 1
Walmart plastic security boxes... (Feb '12) Feb 16 anannimoose 46
More from around the web