Walmart management team, a haven for bullies and drug addicts

Posted in the Wal Mart Stores Forum

Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Tuesday Aug 12
straightedgestoc ker

Hot Springs National Park, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jun 15, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Have you ever worked at a Walmart that doesn't have a management team that bullies and harasses associates or isn't jacked up on all kinds of drugs? I sure haven't and I've worked in three different stores over the last 7 years. I'm sure that it is like this in many stores, management protects their own and they fuck over the associates. I guarantee if the loss prevention manager had an unbiased opinion when he looked at the cameras he would see many things that management does wrong and illegal like sexual harassment, harassment in general, drug deals and many other illegal activities. It sucks because people like me need a job in this failing economy so we turn our heads and let these assholes figuratively fuck us up the ass. I think if this company is gonna have any kind of future it needs to start screening their management team for many things like psychological illnesses and frequent drug tests. Also something needs to be done to level the playing on associates getting into management, instead of promotions being given out on a who you know bases.A lot of things go over looked, unseen, and just ignorantly ignored. I think this is bullshit and I know a lot of people who work for this company will agree with me on this subject. My question is, is this ever going to change??????????
dongo

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 21, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

im a recent assistant manager hire at walmart. I consider myself to be a nice person and i try to treat my associates with respect. I am a christian and feel that respect and supporting my associates is part of my duty as a human being and an assistant manager. However, i have noticed that there are some bullying personalities in mangement. Especilly my store manager (who is a major micro manager) and does not have basic socal manners. He sees how my associates are not fearful of me and how i can laugh and talk with them as equal human beings and that ticks him off. He feels that because im not yelling at my people, that the work is not being done. At the end of the day, i know myself, im not the guy who yells and screams at people. I believe in respecting people, so they dont wake up and think "oh i got to deal with this guy again". So far my journey as an assistant manager with walmart has been good.I guess at the end of the day it all comes down to who your manager is. My store manager maybe a rude ahole, but that does not mean ill be a rude ahole to my associates.
Reality

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 24, 2012
 

Judged:

2

Dongo - I am sure you are a nice person but unfortunately you can certainly tell that you are new. Walmart cultivates bullies in their management program - being a bully isn't looked down on as it is in other more professional retail environments. At walmart being a bully is an important trait to the company. It isn't any coincidence that your store manager is a bully - that is what walmart looks for in management. Let me take a wild guess that your market manager also happens to be a bully as well - your regional also?
This is no accident - you may also notice your manager views his associates more like tools than people. When you break one you simply discard it and replace it with another. That is probably where you came from - you replaced the last assistant that was discarded and that assistant had started out by replacing the assistant before them that was discarded. The bad news is there is no room for individual management styles at walmart - if you are not a mirror image of your supervisor's style of management you have to go. You too will become a bully or you will be discarded as well. About four years ago walmart summarily dismissed most of the market managers and many store managers that did not fit their cookie cutter management style profile. That is why so many of the senior management team around you is new - most of walmart's experienced management left or was asked to leave the company. What remains is a group of inexperienced managenent with only one leadership tool - manage by threat. Unless you plan to become very proficient in the use of "management by threat" you will go nowhere with walmart. Walmart is no place for anyone that cares about people - count how many times your hear the phrase "written coaching" in a week. Good luck to you - my advice is to start looking for a career in retail with a more professional retailer. Walmart is ethically and professionally lost - their stock is doing great today but they are definitely in decline.
rlyn

Rome, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 13, 2013
 

Judged:

1

How about WalMart managers who bully vendors (female) and Top Management never hears the vendors side but his Co-Managers side. Now these vendors have lost their job.
David

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 14, 2013
 
I was a co-manager and worked for a good store manager. However, I NEVER had a market manager or regional manager ask me to do something without a threat attached to it. I started looking for another job during my on board training at Walmart. It was a horrible place to work and they treat their people like dog dukey. Thank God I got out of there without having a stroke.
Wee-Man

Lincolnton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 15, 2013
 

Judged:

1

I heard that Target is really catching up to Walmart. I've also heard that Walmart might go bankrupt or at least close to it in another decade or so. I doubt that's true but I guess we'll find out in 10 years.

I use to work for walmart and when I first started 6 years ago, it was a good place to work but the place has gotten terrible ever since we got a bunch of new senior managers.

I think the associates could benefit from having a union at Walmart. I hear a lot of people complain about union dues but I've heard that unions help you get paid more as well therefore, it seems like it would even out.
David

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

I hate unions and believe they were once a good thing (50 years ago or so). However, WalDumb needs to be unionized. They treat their employees like crap, the managers are very abusive as a rule. They are asking for it.
OnlyInAmerica

Clementon, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 8, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

I've worked for many retailers in a salaried management role ranging from a loss prevention manager to a regional manager and have also worked for Wal-Mart. I can say that I disagree with your summary. Every retailer expects blood from management. Store managers in big box retail can make a killing and you'd be surprised how many people don't have the skills necessary to become one. It's not just putting merchandise on a shelf and having people ring it up. I wish it were that simple. As far as people with connections being promoted over hard workers is BS in my opinion. People get known through hard work and learning ALL areas of the store. For example; my wife complains all the time that she isn't considered for promotions but when I asked her a questions about operations she couldn't answer it. Sure, she wasn't taught the subject but she could have asked questions. If you bust your ass you become a "go to" person and build relationships. Sure, it can bite you in the ass when asked to do more work but that's what gets people ahead. A lot of people think that retail is for uneducated high school drop outs. Well, MOST retailers today require a 4 year degree and experience to become a salaried manager... Some Wal-Mart and Target SM's make upwards of $150,000 per year (I worked for both) plus bonus. But, it's really hard work.... and very high pressure. At results or your out. Isn't that the way most job operate? You either get it done or we find someone else. Some managers need to calm down and be decent ham beings but your statements are about your won experiences and, thus, I can only believe that perhaps you aren't as good of a worker as you think. I'm sorry if that offends you but the hardest thing we can so is look at ourselves honestly.
Terminato980

Redding, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Aug 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Dear god! After reading all of this I'm afraid to look at management positions within other stores! The management team that I work for is firm, but fair. The assistant managers are easy to talk to and if they don't have the answer, our store manager will. During my year there the only time I have felt that I was treated unfairly when I was asked to take a demotion after the holiday season since they had no use for two Assemblers. On the flip side though, I went from having 22 hours post holiday season to 32-40 hours on a regular basis in Consumables. I'm really sorry that you all have to deal with demon managers
wman1

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 10, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

I'm so sorry you have had a bad experience at Wal-Mart. I can't say for sure or not if the management team you worked for were on drugs or treated you fair. At my Wal-Mart, us Managers have a high sense of urgency and like to get everything done. That is why we are the largest retailer in the nation. We do not do drugs, we all have recently submitted federal background checks to sell long rifles. I just don't think you should put that false information out there for millions of people to see. We hire lazy people sometimes and have to get rid of them. Lazy people are not accepted at any workplace I know of. For those looking at applying for Wal-Mart. I work half the year and make $50000 plus. I love my job and it took me 18 months to make salaried manager. It is a great company. People saying all of these negative things could possibly be the people who can not find a job anywhere because of their ethics. I encourage people that apply to plan on moving up and working hard.
david

Lynnwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 21, 2014
 
dongo wrote:
im a recent assistant manager hire at walmart. I consider myself to be a nice person and i try to treat my associates with respect. I am a christian and feel that respect and supporting my associates is part of my duty as a human being and an assistant manager. However, i have noticed that there are some bullying personalities in mangement. Especilly my store manager (who is a major micro manager) and does not have basic socal manners. He sees how my associates are not fearful of me and how i can laugh and talk with them as equal human beings and that ticks him off. He feels that because im not yelling at my people, that the work is not being done. At the end of the day, i know myself, im not the guy who yells and screams at people. I believe in respecting people, so they dont wake up and think "oh i got to deal with this guy again". So far my journey as an assistant manager with walmart has been good.I guess at the end of the day it all comes down to who your manager is. My store manager maybe a rude ahole, but that does not mean ill be a rude ahole to my associates.
I wish a few asst managers in my store would act as you do. Some of them are Asians. One of Asian people's strength is hard work but some of them are arrogant and think as if they are big bosses. They should have gone through the Management and Leadership or Situational Leadership training courses in order to learn how to manage their team successfully and behave toward people (associates) in a polite & respectful manner.
david

Lynnwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 21, 2014
 
Terminato980 wrote:
Dear god! After reading all of this I'm afraid to look at management positions within other stores! The management team that I work for is firm, but fair. The assistant managers are easy to talk to and if they don't have the answer, our store manager will. During my year there the only time I have felt that I was treated unfairly when I was asked to take a demotion after the holiday season since they had no use for two Assemblers. On the flip side though, I went from having 22 hours post holiday season to 32-40 hours on a regular basis in Consumables. I'm really sorry that you all have to deal with demon managers
You must have worked for Walmart for a while and experienced quite a lot, mustn't you?
To my viewpoint, Walmart is a well known retailer but it is not a good employer at all even though it has whole bunch of good policies & values in terms of its working people. That is what I've seen /observed during my work in my store. The working environment is not friendly. Asst managers (some of them) treat associates like ...! No respect. Big head. Unfriendly, unfair & unreasonable designations (assignments). They don't know how to motivate the working people, so people would be committed and more dedicated to the Company. Department managers are lazy, some of them don't get their own job done and try to push their job to associates.
I hope that Walmart high management should give training to asst managers in terms of organizational behavior.
sam Waltonsux

Lubbock, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
May 7, 2014
 
Problem with wal mart is they are afraid to train people in mgmt. maybe they are scared for fear if they train someone they could be replaced so do not teach anyone anything. what an asinine way to do business. but thats wal fart. as long as you can pass a criminal background check and initial drug test, then hell you can smoke dope every day or smoke crack all you want.
too many politics at walmart. if a manager doesn't like you , then they pretty much can piss and moan to the next chief and they you get transferred.
too many chiefs not enough Indians. they work their co managers 12-15 hours a day, 3 to 4 days on and off, and god forbid if an inventory is coming up or Christmas, Christ these turds make you work 6 days in a row 12-15 hours a day on salary with no extra money, thank god i am self employed, usually i only go to wal mart for shipping supplies and to take a big poop or whiz...
Tommy

El Monte, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 15, 2014
 
sam Waltonsux wrote:
Problem with wal mart is they are afraid to train people in mgmt. maybe they are scared for fear if they train someone they could be replaced so do not teach anyone anything. what an asinine way to do business. but thats wal fart. as long as you can pass a criminal background check and initial drug test, then hell you can smoke dope every day or smoke crack all you want.
too many politics at walmart. if a manager doesn't like you , then they pretty much can piss and moan to the next chief and they you get transferred.
too many chiefs not enough Indians. they work their co managers 12-15 hours a day, 3 to 4 days on and off, and god forbid

if an inventory is coming up or Christmas, Christ these turds make you work 6 days in a row 12-15 hours a day on salary with no extra money, thank god i am self
employed, usually i only go to wal mart for shipping supplies and to take a big poop or whiz...
LOL! Walmart bathrooms are ALWAYS so nasty/filthy /dirty Id NEVER use one! Staples has better prices for shipping supplies.
Shanal

El Monte, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 15, 2014
 
Wee-Man wrote:
I heard that Target is really catching up to Walmart. I've also heard that Walmart might go bankrupt or at least close to it in another decade or so. I doubt that's true but I guess we'll find out in 10 years.
I use to work for walmart and when I first started 6 years ago, it was a good place to work but the place has gotten terrible ever since we got a bunch of new senior managers.
I think the associates could benefit from having a union at Walmart. I hear a lot of people complain about union dues but I've heard that unions help you get paid more as well therefore, it seems like it would even out.
The Government would NEVER let Walmart go bankrupt (like the banks. Auto industry etc) A union for employees would help some but look what they did for other business. In 100 years Walmart will become another Woolworth. A word to the wise don't purchase Walmart meat, dairy or produce.
Chatale

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jul 26, 2014
 

Judged:

1

Walmart is a strange place to work & management is crazy! I've worked @ Walmart for 7 months as cashier & love my job & customers but want management to LEAVE ME ALONE!
doin time

Valliant, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Tuesday Aug 12
 
I've worked for Walmart 2 1/2 years. I started at a great store. Policies and rules applied to everyone. I wanted to learn more and move up. The Walmart way. Huge mistake! I transferred to a super center. Associates were not allowed lunch breaks until our freight was worked. Support managers yelled at us to get it done faster. Then we could take our lunch. People were tasked to do dairy and frozen jobs with out the added pay. I talked to the asst mngrs about not having carts or telzons or printers and after that I was always given the food aisle with the most freight. Retaliated against for asking for tools to do my job better. I transferred after 6 months. I've lost all faith in walmart. My new store is better but I just keep my mouth shut an do my job. One of the assistant managers always watches me work, makes comments loud enough for me to hear " I don't think she's gonna get done fast enough". Yeah, so..I need my job. So I can't quit. I chose the lesser of two evils. Walmart has chrushed my spirit. They don't care about anything but money. The task times are usually wrong but the asst mngrs still want you to be done faster. I was black balled at the other store because I wanted to make it better. If your friends with management you can miss work take longer breaks. I wasn't raised that way. I've seen the dark side of walmart so now "I'm just doin time."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wal Mart Stores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Show where food stampsa $80 billion is spent ea... Tue Kiev 2
Canopy-Walmart Brand (Nov '13) Mon dawn 13
Wal-Mart decision leads to more questions over ... Aug 24 Hall 1
Wal-Mart Still A Hold In Our View - But For How... Aug 24 Hall 1
Wal Mart background check (Apr '10) Aug 24 hater 274
Simplicity Smart Touch Digital Over-the-Ear Hea... (May '12) Aug 22 Jessie 2
new walmart uniforms (Mar '07) Aug 21 Mary in South Car... 115
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Wal Mart Stores People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••