Wal-Mart Reportedly Hid Bribe Network...

Wal-Mart Reportedly Hid Bribe Network in Mexico

There are 54 comments on the Fox News story from Apr 22, 2012, titled Wal-Mart Reportedly Hid Bribe Network in Mexico. In it, Fox News reports that:

April 21, 2012: A van covered by a mural sits parked outside a Walt-Mart Super Center in Mexico City.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Concerned

Chihuahua, Mexico

#42 Apr 25, 2012
Wal-Mart did not hide the bribe network in Mexico. That is a laugh! How do you hide something that even Mexico does not hide. To talk like they brought the lid off practices in Mexico is a joke. There never was a lid. People no matter where they live have to go by the rules of Government no matter what.

You cannot fight the government anywhere. That is for sure. If they set this system up and are going collect on it. Then you better play by their rules if you want to play at all.
Blacktigershark

Edmonton, Canada

#43 Apr 25, 2012
This article isn't talking about fines that Mexico would impose against Wal-Mart, as likely Wal-Mart paid their dues in fines and bribes to Mexico already. It would be AMERICA handing down fines against Wal-Mart, for their illegal practices in the foreign market, and it will be those fines that will be humungous!

As for NAFTA, we all know that that is another way to exploit Mexico, because what does North America really trade freely with Mexico? And if it all came down to free trade, then why are there travel restrictions against Mexicans to North America? This world is sure messed up! No wonder Mexican officials pounce on American corporations for bribes!
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
You do not think these "gestors" have to pay part of what they get in bribes to other people in government? They have to pay to earn this spot and have this clout.
So for Mexico to fine Wal-Mart after following part of Mexican procedure, as everyone else does, clear down to to small businesses would be kind of ironic. Fine them for doing what the system clearly has set up and is collecting on.
There are McDonald's here, Wendy's, Burger king, and many large American Businesses. They could literally go after just about every company doing business in Mexico. Because they to had to do the same. Maybe they all need to be investigated. Mexico makes it so hard to do things without paying.
It is like the Vialidad (traffic police here). These are not sought after jobs not because of what the pay is. They are sought after because these guys get paid very well in mordida and bribes. Not all countries do this. Not the USA and not Canada. So to say that all countries are alike in Government is not true. These are government employees, and even thought it is not supposed to be done here, everyone including the government knows what is going on. So they really condone it. They do not even try to put a stop to it. The people in Govenment need these "Gestors" as cover, because they cannot go directly to the Wal-Marts for the bribe money. To stop the Gestors would be taking money out of their pockets.
The profits here have to be huge for Wal-mart. I buy from Wal-mart in the USA 5 quarts of mobile 1 synthetic oil for $24.50 in El Paso. At the Wal-mart here in Chihuahua it is $57. Plus they pay the employees about $8 to $11 dollars a day. So any fine would be just a slap on the wrist.
So no matter what happens Wal-mart did what they had to do because that is the way it goes down here. They are just following the procedures of what people in government here have set up to do business in Mexico.
Maybe it should be Mexico that should be fined for allowing these unfair trade practices. Maybe now they need not only NAFTA, but also a Mexican fair trade Association.
Things are done very slowly down here. Sometimes it can be very aggravating. A lot of times it is done for a reason. Bribes!
Blacktigershark

Edmonton, Canada

#44 Apr 25, 2012
Well, according to Wal-Mart's own investigators, Wal-Mart hid this bribe network that they had going in Mexico from American authorities. That is why this is a news headline. The bribe network goes back to 2006, from what I read, and maybe even further back than that...stay tuned!
Concerned wrote:
Wal-Mart did not hide the bribe network in Mexico. That is a laugh! How do you hide something that even Mexico does not hide. To talk like they brought the lid off practices in Mexico is a joke. There never was a lid. People no matter where they live have to go by the rules of Government no matter what.
You cannot fight the government anywhere. That is for sure. If they set this system up and are going collect on it. Then you better play by their rules if you want to play at all.
Concerned

Chihuahua, Mexico

#45 Apr 25, 2012
Blacktigershark wrote:
Well, according to Wal-Mart's own investigators, Wal-Mart hid this bribe network that they had going in Mexico from American authorities. That is why this is a news headline. The bribe network goes back to 2006, from what I read, and maybe even further back than that...stay tuned!
<quoted text>
That is not the point! The point is this is the way you do business in Mexico. Were they going to publish it and say, look what we are doing. Look what Mexico is making us do. None of these businesses do this. It is not hiding anything. They just did what is normal in Mexico. It is just playing by Mexico's rules. Maybe Wal-mart did not say we were hiding it. Maybe that is the papers putting that way.

What was Wal-Mart supposed to do, just walk away and say we cannot do business in Mexico? One way or another the people at the top would have got their cut. This is why people risk their lives to be in politics in Mexico. The money! The fringe benefits. It is dangerous to be in politics in Mexico. If you asked an attorney here he would say about the Wal-Mart situation, I believe he would say there is nothing wrong with what they did. Even they use the system to their advantage.

I was in the civil court building just recently and my attorney pointed out one of these so called Gestors out to me. He actually introduced him to me and I shook his hand. He was working on behalf of the criminals. He said these guys (Gestors)make a lot of money.

I agree this will be interesting. It would be nice if the Mexico, the USA and other countries would mend their ways of doing business. The USA also gets bribes. They are out in the open, but just have fancy names attached to them.

Concerned

Chihuahua, Mexico

#46 Apr 25, 2012
Blacktigershark wrote:
This article isn't talking about fines that Mexico would impose against Wal-Mart, as likely Wal-Mart paid their dues in fines and bribes to Mexico already. It would be AMERICA handing down fines against Wal-Mart, for their illegal practices in the foreign market, and it will be those fines that will be humungous!
As for NAFTA, we all know that that is another way to exploit Mexico, because what does North America really trade freely with Mexico? And if it all came down to free trade, then why are there travel restrictions against Mexicans to North America? This world is sure messed up! No wonder Mexican officials pounce on American corporations for bribes!
<quoted text>
They need an attorney to show that this is not a really a bribe but the way everyone does business in Mexico. But maybe the USA wants to collect their bribe money too. So the fine would be the bribe money paid to government of the USA, so they can put more waterfalls and decorations in their buildings at tax payers expense. I believe it was you that said it would be passed on with higher prices.

However, I do not think that would be the case, because they still need to be competitive to be Wal-Mart.
bumper

Morristown, TN

#47 Apr 25, 2012
Wal-mart refused to give Obama 20 million for his campaign so now they are being investigated?? same as Gibson Guitars, all the coal companys, same as a dozen other big corporations, Chicago style harassment, so you had better give all you can if Obamas workers calls,
Blacktigershark

Edmonton, Canada

#49 Apr 25, 2012
You understand that I understand that business may not operate the same way in Mexico as it does in America, though the issue in this article has nothing really to do with Mexico, even though the businesses at the height of this issue are in Mexico, it is the fact that a corporation hid their bribe network from America, where they are required to pay their taxes and all that nonsense. It is like America knows how most businesses have to operate in Mexico in order to succeed, but then they pounce on these businesses and fine them for doing business the way they are directed to do in Mexico. It is like Mexico and America are in cahoots where it comes to raking corporations over the coals, however in the end, it still is the consumer that ends up losing. They get taxed by the government, and they end up paying more for goods and services by these corporations. It's the little guy that ends up losing in the end.
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not the point! The point is this is the way you do business in Mexico. Were they going to publish it and say, look what we are doing. Look what Mexico is making us do. None of these businesses do this. It is not hiding anything. They just did what is normal in Mexico. It is just playing by Mexico's rules. Maybe Wal-mart did not say we were hiding it. Maybe that is the papers putting that way.
What was Wal-Mart supposed to do, just walk away and say we cannot do business in Mexico? One way or another the people at the top would have got their cut. This is why people risk their lives to be in politics in Mexico. The money! The fringe benefits. It is dangerous to be in politics in Mexico. If you asked an attorney here he would say about the Wal-Mart situation, I believe he would say there is nothing wrong with what they did. Even they use the system to their advantage.
I was in the civil court building just recently and my attorney pointed out one of these so called Gestors out to me. He actually introduced him to me and I shook his hand. He was working on behalf of the criminals. He said these guys (Gestors)make a lot of money.
I agree this will be interesting. It would be nice if the Mexico, the USA and other countries would mend their ways of doing business. The USA also gets bribes. They are out in the open, but just have fancy names attached to them.
Concerned

Chihuahua, Mexico

#50 Apr 25, 2012
Blacktigershark wrote:
You understand that I understand that business may not operate the same way in Mexico as it does in America, though the issue in this article has nothing really to do with Mexico, even though the businesses at the height of this issue are in Mexico, it is the fact that a corporation hid their bribe network from America, where they are required to pay their taxes and all that nonsense. It is like America knows how most businesses have to operate in Mexico in order to succeed, but then they pounce on these businesses and fine them for doing business the way they are directed to do in Mexico. It is like Mexico and America are in cahoots where it comes to raking corporations over the coals, however in the end, it still is the consumer that ends up losing. They get taxed by the government, and they end up paying more for goods and services by these corporations. It's the little guy that ends up losing in the end.
<quoted text>
Well. Lets just see what happens.
Blacktigershark

Edmonton, Canada

#51 Apr 25, 2012
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Alright then!
Blacktigershark

Edmonton, Canada

#52 Apr 25, 2012
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose that this pretty well much sums it up in relation to Mexico, huh Concerned? LOL!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/congre...
Blacktigershark

Edmonton, Canada

#53 Apr 26, 2012
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
I should have said that the headline for the last post link was no surprise...LOL!

Concerned

Chihuahua, Mexico

#54 Apr 26, 2012
Blacktigershark wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose that this pretty well much sums it up in relation to Mexico, huh Concerned? LOL!
Pretty much just like I said! I cannot see what the United States can do to Wal-mart since it happened in Mexico. If this had happened in the USA it would be shown as a special documentation fee or other name. It just becomes a bribe if you do not bring it out into the open. USA bribes are right out in the open and the people can still do nothing about them. In Mexico it is in the open because everyone knows about it. That is why no one is upset over it here. They probably are thinking it would not be fair if the USA got special treatment over nationals that have to pay the, lets call them fees/ bribes.
Concerned

Chihuahua, Mexico

#55 Apr 26, 2012
If you think about it the United States offers lots of taxpayers money to other Countries in assistance, in order to put missiles and bases in their countries. I guess you can say this is how the world operates. Why do we have to pay them, to protect them. Such as in Israel. Is this not a form of Bribe?

We fight a country and to then occupy it we offer money, and to help rebuild their country. What is this all about. How many citizens want to give their taxes to agree to that?

Yes, I know a lot of other things are at stake. But how far are you willing to go to make a deal with the devil.
Blacktigershark

Edmonton, Canada

#56 Apr 26, 2012
What I think is that America is choked, because the way Wal-Mart chose to engage in a foreign business practice with Mexico will not yield any revenue for America. If Wal-Mart WASN'T an American formed company, then America would not have a say in this matter, but since Wal-Mart is an American corporation, that means that Wal-Mart is supposed to pay taxes on foreign assets...who knows how much of the 'bribe' America wants now from Wal-Mart?

Seems like the American government is practicing its run up to its enforcement of FATCA (Foreign Accounts Tax Compliances Act), Concerned! Ain't that some 'ish'?
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty much just like I said! I cannot see what the United States can do to Wal-mart since it happened in Mexico. If this had happened in the USA it would be shown as a special documentation fee or other name. It just becomes a bribe if you do not bring it out into the open. USA bribes are right out in the open and the people can still do nothing about them. In Mexico it is in the open because everyone knows about it. That is why no one is upset over it here. They probably are thinking it would not be fair if the USA got special treatment over nationals that have to pay the, lets call them fees/ bribes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wal Mart Stores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Question regarding Wal Mart alcohol policy (Jul '12) 3 hr Cem 453
Wal Mart background check (Apr '10) Tue Michelle 671
New scheduling system 2017 (Jan '17) Aug 21 Toosilly12 30
Walmart pay period. (Nov '16) Aug 18 IKnow 22
Your denunciation of president Trump Aug 16 Evelyn Valentine 1
Wal Mart vs other stores Aug 14 Anonymous 1
Walmart management team, a haven for bullies an... (Jun '12) Aug 5 Chuck Eye 52
More from around the web