Wal-Mart Reportedly Hid Bribe Network...

Wal-Mart Reportedly Hid Bribe Network in Mexico

There are 54 comments on the Fox News story from Apr 22, 2012, titled Wal-Mart Reportedly Hid Bribe Network in Mexico. In it, Fox News reports that:

April 21, 2012: A van covered by a mural sits parked outside a Walt-Mart Super Center in Mexico City.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
lloll

Natchitoches, LA

#1 Apr 22, 2012
A fine example of what's wrong with the world today.

Mexican officials accepted bribes to look the other way, BUT they don't have any money so we blame Wal-Mart instead of the guy accepting bribes to NOT do his job.

edindav

“The Smiths/Mozza bow down”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#3 Apr 22, 2012
But you miss the point. You blame someone on a low salary for accepting a bribe but not the person/company for wanting to and then doing so bribe people. Back to front. If they hadn't offered the bribe there would have been no bribe. If he instigated the bribe by asking again a different story but ................. god I am sick of making comments that make not one iota of difference.
Blacktigershark

Edmonton, Canada

#4 Apr 22, 2012
These Mexican officials took bribes, so they are to blame for their actions, however, it was a foreign corporation (Wal-Mart) that bribed the Mexican officials, gave these Mexican officials money, so that Wal-Mart could exploit their business ventures in Mexico. BOTH ARE AT FAULT, LLOLL!

Your argument is one reminiscent of this, that I will sum up in an example. There is a pimp (Mexican official), a trick (Wal-Mart) and a child (Mexico). The trick gives money to the pimp, so that the trick can rape the child. The pimp accepts the money, leaving the child at the mercy of the trick. You now are saying that since there is no mention of the pimp selling the child to the trick, that the trick shouldn't be blamed for his/her purchasing of the child, for the sake of fulfilling their own sick desires against the child, which is to molest the child?
lloll wrote:
A fine example of what's wrong with the world today.
Mexican officials accepted bribes to look the other way, BUT they don't have any money so we blame Wal-Mart instead of the guy accepting bribes to NOT do his job.
Cut To The Chase

Eatontown, NJ

#5 Apr 22, 2012
for all I know Walmart is the best thing to ever happen to Mexico.
Cut To The Chase

Eatontown, NJ

#6 Apr 22, 2012
it worked in China & Walmart has some decent bargains.
I have noticed lately however that Target is a little cheaper on some things
Blacktigershark

Edmonton, Canada

#7 Apr 22, 2012
But you don't know FOR SURE, do you? Thanks for your contribution...(Ignore them!)
Cut To The Chase wrote:
for all I know Walmart is the best thing to ever happen to Mexico.
lloll

Natchitoches, LA

#8 Apr 22, 2012
edindav wrote:
But you miss the point. You blame someone on a low salary for accepting a bribe but not the person/company for wanting to and then doing so bribe people. Back to front. If they hadn't offered the bribe there would have been no bribe. If he instigated the bribe by asking again a different story but .......... god I am sick of making comments that make not one iota of difference.
No, I don't blame the guy trying to save a buck, I blame the guy who took a paycheck over the table to do a job AND took a paycheck under the table to NOT do the very same job...not to mention he isn't paying taxes on the money he isn't supposed to have.
lloll

Natchitoches, LA

#9 Apr 22, 2012
Blacktigershark wrote:
These Mexican officials took bribes, so they are to blame for their actions, however, it was a foreign corporation (Wal-Mart) that bribed the Mexican officials, gave these Mexican officials money, so that Wal-Mart could exploit their business ventures in Mexico. BOTH ARE AT FAULT, LLOLL!
Your argument is one reminiscent of this, that I will sum up in an example. There is a pimp (Mexican official), a trick (Wal-Mart) and a child (Mexico). The trick gives money to the pimp, so that the trick can rape the child. The pimp accepts the money, leaving the child at the mercy of the trick. You now are saying that since there is no mention of the pimp selling the child to the trick, that the trick shouldn't be blamed for his/her purchasing of the child, for the sake of fulfilling their own sick desires against the child, which is to molest the child?
<quoted text>
Nice story except the contrator isn't selling an illegal OR inferior product. He's skirting the time table it normally takes to get building permits.

Now let's retell the story only using 2 parties and omiting the 3rd person you made up for whatever reason you decided to distort the story.

Wal-Mart: hey you want some some legal business and job growth for your country?
Mexico: Sure, but it's going to take you 5 years (some arbitrary number) to get all of your permits, OR you can offer me a bribe since that's they way we do business down here in Mexico.
Wal-Mart: Here's your money, but we're going to do things the same as always because we're Wal-mart and our system works.

Fast forward 10 years and some corporate hating liberal blames Wal-Mart instead of the person taking the bribe to NOT do their job.
american sweatshops

Chicago, IL

#10 Apr 22, 2012
Walton's should be executed for crimes against humanity and environment
Blacktigershark

Edmonton, Canada

#11 Apr 22, 2012
lloll wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't blame the guy trying to save a buck, I blame the guy who took a paycheck over the table to do a job AND took a paycheck under the table to NOT do the very same job...not to mention he isn't paying taxes on the money he isn't supposed to have.
I can respect the fact that you blame the person that is collecting a paycheck to do a job, and then is taking a bribe for not doing his/her job, though that does not leave the person that is trying to save a buck blameless, lloll. That is like someone that is trying to save money on stolen property...can't blame them for trying, right? But they have laws against that, lloll...Both the fencer of the stolen goods and the person that is trying to save a buck or two are to blame for the sale (fencer) and possession (bargain hunter) of the stolen goods, lloll. If someone stole the deed to YOUR land, and then sold it to a large corporation, would you then say that you are not entitled to getting your land back, simply because a large corporation KNOWINGLY broke laws in order to acquire your property? I sincerely doubt it...so stop blowing smoke where there is no fire, because you damn well know that the corporation cut corners and broke laws in order to get that property, and that only serves to defraud the Mexican government, their people, especially the people of the community where the corporation acquired the land, and eventually the American government, because illegal deals only serve to have work done cheaper in other countries, like your neighbours in Mexico, and will then put thousands of people in America out of work, because of it. If you find the Mexican authorities that accepted the bribes, then charge them and lock them up. You want to talk about them, then make an article about it! Just don't turn around and find the corporation blameless, because you have NO IDEA how far down the trickle effect is, and how many people are affected by the illegal acts of this corporation, that wanted to save a buck or two...and I GUARANTEE you that it is more than just a buck or two that this particular corporation saved by making illegal moves in the business world.

Seems like you didn't watch the movie,'The Informant'...I suggest you do that now, before you make another response on this matter, lloll...as corporate fraud is NOT A JOKE!
Blacktigershark

Edmonton, Canada

#12 Apr 22, 2012
The reason that you HAVE to include the third party, is because the corporation (Wal-Mart) needs somewhere (i.e. the land) in Mexic), alongside the other permits that are required to be paid in order to establish a legitimate business in Mexico. It is like you totally forget that there are other corporations that play by the rules in order to set up their businesses, only to be outdone by those that cheat, and likely beat them out for land space. If it was as simple as one corporation paying an expedition fee in order to set up a business on a piece of land that they acquired legally, then this would not be a story against the corporation, lloll! It is BECAUSE Wal-Mart did not play by the rules of business that this has now become a capital case against Wal-Mart, lloll! Who says that Target and other competitors of Wal-Mart were not vying to set up businesses in the same places that Wal-Mart set up their businesses, but because Wal-Mart bribed government officials, WHICH IS ILLEGAL, that Wal-Mart got the business space that if the course of land acquisitions and permits were respected to the tee, Wal-Mart would NOT have gotten, and one of its competitors would have gotten that land space to erect their own business, lloll? You have got to look at the BIG PICTURE, lloll...I'm sure that other corporations are doing this, along with the SEC, so it is because of THAT, that this has become a big story against Wal-Mart, lloll.

By the way...who says that these government officials that took the bribes haven't been disciplined yet, lloll? Maybe you should find out if this is the case, before crying out about how they are not being spoken about in this matter in conjunction with Wal-Mart, lloll. Thanks again...try harder next time, alright?
lloll wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice story except the contrator isn't selling an illegal OR inferior product. He's skirting the time table it normally takes to get building permits.
Now let's retell the story only using 2 parties and omiting the 3rd person you made up for whatever reason you decided to distort the story.
Wal-Mart: hey you want some some legal business and job growth for your country?
Mexico: Sure, but it's going to take you 5 years (some arbitrary number) to get all of your permits, OR you can offer me a bribe since that's they way we do business down here in Mexico.
Wal-Mart: Here's your money, but we're going to do things the same as always because we're Wal-mart and our system works.
Fast forward 10 years and some corporate hating liberal blames Wal-Mart instead of the person taking the bribe to NOT do their job.
lloll

Natchitoches, LA

#13 Apr 23, 2012
Blacktigershark wrote:
<quoted text>
I can respect the fact that you blame the person that is collecting a paycheck to do a job, and then is taking a bribe for not doing his/her job, though that does not leave the person that is trying to save a buck blameless, lloll. That is like someone that is trying to save money on stolen property...can't blame them for trying, right? But they have laws against that, lloll...Both the fencer of the stolen goods and the person that is trying to save a buck or two are to blame for the sale (fencer) and possession (bargain hunter) of the stolen goods, lloll. If someone stole the deed to YOUR land, and then sold it to a large corporation, would you then say that you are not entitled to getting your land back, simply because a large corporation KNOWINGLY broke laws in order to acquire your property? I sincerely doubt it...so stop blowing smoke where there is no fire, because you damn well know that the corporation cut corners and broke laws in order to get that property, and that only serves to defraud the Mexican government, their people, especially the people of the community where the corporation acquired the land, and eventually the American government, because illegal deals only serve to have work done cheaper in other countries, like your neighbours in Mexico, and will then put thousands of people in America out of work, because of it. If you find the Mexican authorities that accepted the bribes, then charge them and lock them up. You want to talk about them, then make an article about it! Just don't turn around and find the corporation blameless, because you have NO IDEA how far down the trickle effect is, and how many people are affected by the illegal acts of this corporation, that wanted to save a buck or two...and I GUARANTEE you that it is more than just a buck or two that this particular corporation saved by making illegal moves in the business world.
Seems like you didn't watch the movie,'The Informant'...I suggest you do that now, before you make another response on this matter, lloll...as corporate fraud is NOT A JOKE!
No it's not like trying to buy stolen property...Wal-mart legally bought the property. They paid someone to speed up the permit process.

It's the difference between a drug user and a drug dealer. They both broke the law, but I don't really care about the guy that got caught with one joint, I care about the guy that made it possible.
Blacktigershark

Edmonton, Canada

#14 Apr 23, 2012
Actually, it would more likely have been a bid on the property. This is why it takes TIME to review the property claims and bids on a certain piece of property. You make mention of this process taking 5 years in Mexico, when you really don't know how long it takes to LEGALLY acquire land and set up a business there, lloll. For some pieces of land, it may take 6 months to clear up all land claim disputes and get the land title over to the FIRST bidder on the land, provided that the government agrees that the land is worth what the first bidder bid for it, or it could take upwards of 5 years or more. It happens! Land isn't always easy to get the deed to. If you were involved in the purchasing of land, you would know this, lloll! This is why legitimizing the land that you bid on, and are trying to set a business up in, takes a LONG time sometimes, yo!

Cheating is cheating, and you have NO CLUE if Wal-Mart cheated its way into acquiring land in Mexico over other competitors, simply by bribing officials. This isn't about the crooked officials, as they are equally as guilty of not doing their jobs and taking bribes. This likely means that these government officials revoked land bids from other companies and people, and stole land from other people, in order to give the land to Wal-Mart, because Wal-Mart bribed them to turn over the land to them. This is the problem, lloll...and if you don't see that right now, then maybe it would be more clear to you if the bank all of a sudden foreclosed on your mortgaged property, that you have been paying on for 20 plus years, for a company that bribed your government for YOUR land space, and they raze down your property, so that they can build a department store that sells tools and home renovation supplies...something they will tell you is good, since you will need to rebuild your house somewhere else, right? But don't get outbid, or better yet, outbribed, for the next piece of land that you seek to purchase so that you can rebuild your house in another part of America, man. You don't want to get shafted by the corporation that is looking to score the BEST deal, and save a buck or two, right? LOL!
lloll wrote:
<quoted text>
No it's not like trying to buy stolen property...Wal-mart legally bought the property. They paid someone to speed up the permit process.
It's the difference between a drug user and a drug dealer. They both broke the law, but I don't really care about the guy that got caught with one joint, I care about the guy that made it possible.
lloll

Natchitoches, LA

#15 Apr 23, 2012
In America we believe in "innocent until PROVEN guilty", not "guilty because you have money".

You can accuse Wal-Mart of anything you want, this story only addresses bribes.
Concerned

Chihuahua, Mexico

#16 Apr 23, 2012
I cannot even imagine all of the bribes that have been paid to open all these American named businesses in Mexico. The Maquiladors and so on. This is how Mexico operates. From trying to renew a Visa while living further into Mexico, and so on.

When I moved to Mexico I had all my paperwork in order. I got to the border 2 hours before they closed the office that took care of this particular visa. I paid $102 at the Mexican embassy in the USA. No more charges at the border and they know there is no money in it for them. It was a Saturday and they were closed on Sunday. It was 107 degrees. I had a huge truck with all my belongings as well as other people were waiting too. You could not turn around and re-enter the USA because you need different paperwork to go back into the USA with a lot of things. They knew it. It was a big scam.

At least 20 vehicles were being scammed that day. If you can imagine the windfall these guys were making. They were going from about $100 a week salary to making a huge salary. As always the higher ups in the pecking line were collecting the big money while others were starving on their salaries. However,I am sure they were thrown a bone at the end of the day.

They said the guy that was supposed be there had to leave and would not be back until Monday. They said nothing could be done, but we could leave our trucks and all our belongings in the parking lot. Right!!

After 2 hours a guy would quietly come up to all the people and say I am not supposed to do this but I can give you paperwork that will get you through. The cost was $500 in cash.

This is the government, and government employees doing this. The whole country runs this way. If you come to do business, or try to live in Mexico long term, the odds are that you will pay bribes or mordida to many people. Money to grease the wheel so to speak.

Scams to collect bribe money in Mexico are very abundant. There is a guy that is/was an Aduana in Tijuana that I knew. This guy had a very nice house, nice truck and always has a wad of cash in his pocket. He has lost two sons to criminals because that were trying to extort him for some of his money. This was many years ago.

My ex wife here is trying to get a government job because the pay is higher, and you get more respect and better retirement benefits. She says it is not what you know, but who you know. You have to scratch a few backs to get these jobs and move up. In her quest to try to get this better job she did a little more then scratch a few backs. Thus the divorce.

Blacktigershark

Edmonton, Canada

#17 Apr 23, 2012
lloll wrote:
In America we believe in "innocent until PROVEN guilty", not "guilty because you have money".
You can accuse Wal-Mart of anything you want, this story only addresses bribes.
It's Wal-Mart's own probe into their own business practices, lloll! What does that tell you, kid? You should READ the article, before passionately defending the said corporation, dumb@$$, and besides, the laws are DIFFERENT in Mexico, bud...don't be trying to go down to Mexico thinking that you are innocent of wrongdoing, because in America, you enjoy the luxury of being deemed innocent until you are proven guilty, lloll!

You have a LOT to learn, kid, and I will tell you something that you probably DID NOT KNOW. Where it comes to crimes, in North America, you generally are deemed innocent until proven guilty. Where it comes to money and property, it is the other way around. Why do you think that governments go through with the seizure and repossession of properties and monies of people or corporations accused of crimes, lloll? Where property and money is concerned, including in North America, which INCLUDES America, when it comes to money or property or other assets, it comes down to the accused having to prove they acquired their money, property and other assets through LEGITIMATE means, which means that there is a 'reverse onus' on the accused to come up with the proof that the property, money or other assets were acquired LEGALLY! Bet you didn't know that, lloll. Sheltered life you live, huh?

You say that you don't care about the person that buys the drugs, you only care about the drug dealer, right lloll? Well, who says that the drug user acquired their funds in a legal fashion, lloll? There is so many ways that I could shed light on this situation, however you are hell-bent on acknowledging the obvious here, which is Wal-Mart is equally to blame for its corrupt practices. Just because a drug user chooses to go to Mexico to acquire cheaper drugs from a Mexican drug dealer, so that they can set up a business and sell drugs to the public, while squeezing the locals off of their land for this purpose, that doesn't mean that the drug user, of whom is also a drug dealer himself/herself on a larger scale, is not guilty of acquiring drugs themselves!

Turn it around to the now infamous American Secret Service scandal, lloll. Secret Service agents go into Colombia to solicit cheaper hookers in Cartagena. The Secret Service approach the head of a taxi operation, commonly known to chauffeur these hookers around, to get the finest women to appear at their 5 star hotel. Upon delivery, the Secret Service will pay the head of the taxi operation a fee/bribe. Doesn't matter how you slice it in favour of the Secret Service, lloll...the Secret Service is guilty of soliciting sex from a pimp (the head of the taxi operation)!

Okay, you say...the head of the taxi operation didn't have to bring the women to the 5 star hotel, right? The head of the taxi operation didn't have to take the money from the Secret Service, correct? You would be right there on both counts, and that is why he/she would also be charged for accepting money in the furtherance of promoting sexual solicitation, and pimping. This does not excuse the Secret Service for soliciting prostitution in Cartagena, Colombia, and for engaging in sexual relations with prostitutes for a fee, which is also illegal, just because they wanted to 'save a buck or two', while indulging in illicit activities with hookers in another country, lloll, that they would have had to pay at least 10 times more for if they were in their own country!

It's funny, because the Secret Service tried to save more than a few bucks where these hookers were concerned, and they ended up getting burned, because one of these hookers complained about payment, and the police were called in to diffuse the matter. This is much like the Wal-Mart situation...sometimes, cutting corners is NOT WORTH IT!
Blacktigershark

Edmonton, Canada

#18 Apr 23, 2012
Good story...so how does this equate to a LARGE corporation probing their own business practices in a foreign country like Mexico, Concerned, when they have enough money to LEGITIMATELY do business in Mexico, to satisfy the Mexican government, and to be able to provide the Mexican government a business incentive on why it should be granted land and permits to set up their businesses in Mexico, showing how it will benefit their people, provide jobs for the public, and bring about positive revenue for the community, which means more tax money revenue for the government? If every corporation conducted business like that in Mexico, then there wouldn't be a story here, but clearly, since this is not the norm in Mexico where it comes to EVERY business soliciting Mexican officials for land and construction and building and business permits, this is why this is a headline story, Concerned!

P.S. You will find a BETTER woman...there are 3.5 BILLION other women out there for you to meet...hope you find one that likes you, that has morals, and one that you like also, man. Good luck out there!
Concerned wrote:
I cannot even imagine all of the bribes that have been paid to open all these American named businesses in Mexico. The Maquiladors and so on. This is how Mexico operates. From trying to renew a Visa while living further into Mexico, and so on.
When I moved to Mexico I had all my paperwork in order. I got to the border 2 hours before they closed the office that took care of this particular visa. I paid $102 at the Mexican embassy in the USA. No more charges at the border and they know there is no money in it for them. It was a Saturday and they were closed on Sunday. It was 107 degrees. I had a huge truck with all my belongings as well as other people were waiting too. You could not turn around and re-enter the USA because you need different paperwork to go back into the USA with a lot of things. They knew it. It was a big scam.
At least 20 vehicles were being scammed that day. If you can imagine the windfall these guys were making. They were going from about $100 a week salary to making a huge salary. As always the higher ups in the pecking line were collecting the big money while others were starving on their salaries. However,I am sure they were thrown a bone at the end of the day.
They said the guy that was supposed be there had to leave and would not be back until Monday. They said nothing could be done, but we could leave our trucks and all our belongings in the parking lot. Right!!
After 2 hours a guy would quietly come up to all the people and say I am not supposed to do this but I can give you paperwork that will get you through. The cost was $500 in cash.
This is the government, and government employees doing this. The whole country runs this way. If you come to do business, or try to live in Mexico long term, the odds are that you will pay bribes or mordida to many people. Money to grease the wheel so to speak.
Scams to collect bribe money in Mexico are very abundant. There is a guy that is/was an Aduana in Tijuana that I knew. This guy had a very nice house, nice truck and always has a wad of cash in his pocket. He has lost two sons to criminals because that were trying to extort him for some of his money. This was many years ago.
My ex wife here is trying to get a government job because the pay is higher, and you get more respect and better retirement benefits. She says it is not what you know, but who you know. You have to scratch a few backs to get these jobs and move up. In her quest to try to get this better job she did a little more then scratch a few backs. Thus the divorce.
Concerned

Chihuahua, Mexico

#19 Apr 23, 2012
Blacktigershark wrote:
Good story...so how does this equate to a LARGE corporation probing their own business practices in a foreign country like Mexico, Concerned, when they have enough money to LEGITIMATELY do business in Mexico, to satisfy the Mexican government, and to be able to provide the Mexican government a business incentive on why it should be granted land and permits to set up their businesses in Mexico, showing how it will benefit their people, provide jobs for the public, and bring about positive revenue for the community, which means more tax money revenue for the government? If every corporation conducted business like that in Mexico, then there wouldn't be a story here, but clearly, since this is not the norm in Mexico where it comes to EVERY business soliciting Mexican officials for land and construction and building and business permits, this is why this is a headline story, Concerned!
P.S. You will find a BETTER woman...there are 3.5 BILLION other women out there for you to meet...hope you find one that likes you, that has morals, and one that you like also, man. Good luck out there!
<quoted text>
Already have one. She lives with me. I do not think I will get married again however. Took me 2 days to find her and my neighbors and consuegros were even offering up sacrifices to me. Love Mexico for that and some other things too.
Concerned

Chihuahua, Mexico

#20 Apr 23, 2012
Blacktigershark wrote:
<quoted text>
Fits in probably about as much as the secret service sex scandel in your report above.

I was just trying to show, if you read into my words that this is business as normal from the top to the bottom. Sometimes a little bit of info from a person that is actually living the life here, and sees what is going on, may help people to see that this is really not big news. Not to me anyway. To me it is not "new" news at all. Just something that I would expect if doing business in Mexico.

Blacktigershark

Edmonton, Canada

#21 Apr 23, 2012
Stay tight with the locals, and don't get killed by the crooked cops and the drug dealers out there! I guess it is like any other place, right? Keep ya head up, and stay out of trouble, huh?
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Already have one. She lives with me. I do not think I will get married again however. Took me 2 days to find her and my neighbors and consuegros were even offering up sacrifices to me. Love Mexico for that and some other things too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wal Mart Stores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why is it so hard to get promoted??? (Mar '12) 15 hr Jill T 33
Walmart new time off policy (Feb '16) 16 hr Dale 106
Turn over rate Jan 13 shouldiapply 1
News Wal-Mart adds insurance coverage for transgende... Jan 12 TomInElPaso 98
New CAP team (Jun '15) Jan 10 Dahli 37
Walmart plastic security boxes... (Feb '12) Jan 10 Brandi 42
Got offered a promotion to CSM at Walmart? (Mar '14) Jan 9 Windell 43
More from around the web