First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Mark

Saint George, UT

#1 Apr 6, 2010
Hi all,

I was employed at Wal Mart for a little over a year as a cashier. By all accounts I did a good job and was a good employee. I put in my two weeks notice and left Wal Mart for a trade school.

Well, I can't get a job in that trade so I applied to work at Wal Mart again. I was offered a job today as a cashier contingent upon passing the background check and drug screen. I answered all preliminary questions truthfully such as, "Have you ever been convicted of a crime, felony, etc."

About a month ago I was smoking a joint in a college student housing area and a law enforcement officer who just happened to be in the area caught me red-handed. He charged me with possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia. The charges were enhanced due to my presence in a "drug-free zone" and because I had a prior conviction a few years back for, again, possessing some marijuana. So I'm looking at a 3rd degree felony and a class A misdemeanor. I am represented by a court-appointed attorney whom I hope will plea down these charges. So, they are PENDING CHARGES. Court is in a few weeks.

When I was filling out the background check form there was a question as follows: "Do you have any charges pending?" I marked yes, listed them and checked both boxes misdemeanor and felony. The HR lady was visibly concerned upon looking it over but couldn't tell me if this would disqualify me for employment.

I will pass my drug test since I quit the night of the bust, so that's not the issue here. The issue is that I have a good record as an employee, but a criminal record of a marijuana possession conviction and one pending. I am an ethical, hard-working, honest and moral person who likes to enjoy the good herb every now and then.

I desperately need this job. I've been applying all over town and there is NOTHING. I'm at my wit's end, and on top of it all I'll have to deal with a hefty court fine, which I'll be unable to cover without this. To say the least, the potential of this job offer being rescinded is a heavy burden on my mind right now.

If anyone could offer insight on this situation, what my chances are, have I blown it, etc., please do. Preachers, I don't want to hear it.

I sincerely thank you in advance for your response.
mermaid

Westcliffe, CO

#2 May 23, 2010
wow I wished I could tell you something definitive but I can't -as I'm vitrually in the same position, except my VERY recent legal problem was something I disicovered when I did a background check on myself -and discovered that there was a 2 year old warrant for my arrest for a failure to appear for a traffic ticket! The 'infraction' was 'ficticious registration sticker.'
Although this was such a minor offense that even the ticketing officer said would probably be dismissed as soon as I appeared with the correct sticker, and I did so immediately,[I had to because the car was impounded!] I wound up having to drive back to that county immediately and 'turn myself in'. I now have an "arrest" warrant and a record. I called the HE personell immediately and explained what I'd discovered, and she thanked me but also could not offer any idea of whether or not this would immediately disqualify me for consideration. So while my situation is slightly different I have had the same unfortunate experience of finding that this outstanding -but completely unknown to me -'bench warrant'-may have cost me a very badly needed job -despite my immediate actions to correct it. Live and learn. At 57, I now have an "arrest record" even though I turned myself in and I was "incarcerated" for 8 hours while they "processed" my files. I still have a court date as well. I am still hoping that I can get the charges dismissed but I dont think this will repair my "record" and I KNOW that this will be very detrimental for ANY future job prospects. My advice is to remain completely honest as you have been and explain as you have here the circumstances. Bear in mind however, that even with current recent 'relaxing' of marijuana laws in many states, Wall mart -as with most any large company still has very strict [zero tolerance] drug policies. That might be that the nature of your 'offenses' will weigh against you. I was told that you can re-apply in a year if you fail the drug test, but again I have no experience with any of this past your own. Good Luck!
Jackie

Madison, AL

#3 Aug 10, 2010
Let me tell you 1st and formost, I believe that everyone can change!. Here Walmart is, paying out millions of dollars for background checks,(there is hungry people out there) and they LIE! They will not hire you if you have a minor offense and I can promise you, because I know 1st hand that they have many, many criminals working for them!! If they are going to do background checks on NEW employees, they need to start doing it for the employees they have once a year and random drug test! My former Store Mgr from Panama City Fl had 3 DUI's. They did nothing to him. Yet I know several young men that had applied and had minor offenses and had been clean and in no trouble for over 3 yrs and WALMARTS refused to hire them. They were honest, hardworking young men and women. SHAME ON WALMARTS!!! If GOD can FORGIVE why can't you!!! You are not a judge and jury!!!
Blake

Auburndale, FL

#4 Sep 10, 2010
Just found this thread because I have two felony convictions for DUIs. Does this mean I will not even be considered?
walmart applicant

Portland, OR

#5 Sep 24, 2010
if you have a DUI you are never going to get in and any charges for that matter even harrasment,or false information to a police officer,any drug charges even if you did pass your test walmart is very strict indeed as well if five years passes after your charge you are able to reapply
Pleze Cook

Palestine, TX

#6 Oct 13, 2010
I been waiting on my background check to come back for two weeks and i know it aint nothing on record,but a class c mid.for hot checks and they keep telling me that it havent came back yet.
Kimberly Knight

Levelland, TX

#7 Oct 23, 2010
Quit smoking pot. It's against the law, period. How can you say your a good person and ethical? What freakin world are you living in? The one I'm living in says it's against the law to smoke Pot. Don't get pissed at Wal Mart 'cause they don't want pot heads working for them. Stop doing what sociaty says is wrong. You'll do fine.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
mike

Linden, IA

#8 Nov 19, 2010
Pleze Cook wrote:
I been waiting on my background check to come back for two weeks and i know it aint nothing on record,but a class c mid.for hot checks and they keep telling me that it havent came back yet.
they wont hire you i just went through the same thing with 1 misdem for 1 hot check 4 years ago and they told me too bad.
Bizzoe

Salt Lake City, UT

#10 Jan 11, 2011
Kimberly Knight wrote:
Quit smoking pot. It's against the law, period. How can you say your a good person and ethical? What freakin world are you living in? The one I'm living in says it's against the law to smoke Pot. Don't get pissed at Wal Mart 'cause they don't want pot heads working for them. Stop doing what sociaty says is wrong. You'll do fine.
Umm that would be spelled society genius:)How can you say your a good person and ethical? WTF because they probably are. As far as the world goes It's an evolving place leaving ignorance behind! Laws are and will change for the most part, I'm not advocating irresponsibility or idiocy but there are many vices out there evoking craziness and ruining of lives, yet some things can be enjoyed responsibly and in moderation like anything else mostly i.e alcohol which is LEGAL. So legal, Illegal that seems another story right. People will use many things at given times but pothead or addict is another story, ignorance is bliss!!!
Walmart employee

Stafford, VA

#11 Jan 14, 2011
Walmart hire me today.I went on a interview monday. Did a drug test wednesday and was hire today being friday. I also had a record and was worried about not being hire because of it. God bless me and made a way!!! So happy cause its so hard to find a job now days.
Matt

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Mar 10, 2011
I worked for walmart a year ago then quit on good standing because I found a job with more hours and better pay. I reapplied at sams club recently and was hired but kept getting told that my background check had not came back after three weeks, funny thing is, I received my criminal background check in the mail and found a misdemeanor battery charge from 23 years ago that I was told would never show on my record. Is this the way sams club treats people? lie to them because they feel your not good enough to work for them? and how can a company judge you for something you did 23 years ago for Christ sakes! people DO MAKE mistakes in there life and DO change! Anyway..there loss as far as Im concerned!!
Matt

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Mar 10, 2011
And how do they hire you once then not hire you the next year over the same background check????
james

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Mar 14, 2011
If I'm having a background check done in Kansas for a job at Koles. Do you think some stuff will show up from Florida? Is it an international background check or just state to state? I appreciate your response.
Matt

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Mar 17, 2011
I can tell you that only 14 states have a law that prohibits employers from checking back over 7 years, and it is a nationwide background check.
Chris Willis

Barbeau, MI

#17 Apr 21, 2011
Kimberly Knight wrote:
Hey sh.t for brains... ever drive without a seatbelt on or over the speed limit? I thought so. Those are against the law as well. Why don't you quit preaching and start saying something useful... I don't smoke weed either but I sure as hell do not see the sense in condemning someone for doing it in the past or even currently, provided they aren't driving or at work.
Get a clue

Newark, NJ

#18 May 8, 2011
So a walmart employee driving a forklift hits you or a member of your family. Automatic drug test done. They fail. You don't sue? They have a right to protect themselves, other employees and the public.
cody

Rincon, GA

#19 May 8, 2011
I applied at a Wal Mart Distribution Center. In the interview I told the HR woman interviewing me that I had a drinking problem, been to a rehab program, and that I've been clean for 10 months. Next week, they called me in for the Drug Screen and the waiver to run my Criminal Background check which also has two DUI's on it. A week later i called and asked about it and i too was told it hasn't came back yet. Who knows if it has or hasn't? Just keep checking in with them til they give you an honest answer. All I'm looking for is some closure. And possibly a JOB.
mommy 3

Taylorsville, NC

#20 May 11, 2011
i have 2 mis charges on my record on is for damage to private property and on is for failure to return rental property i went in for my interview today when they called yesturday i was up front with them just as i am with any one else after they loged in all my information they sent me for a drug test this is the first interview i have had at this walmart do i have any chance of getttin the job i know my drug test is clean seein how i havent even drank alchol in 1 1/2 years i am just really worded about this some people tell me it will all work out and of course my mom says it is all in gods hands which i do belieave can someone please help me with this thanks
Bebop813

Orange Park, FL

#21 May 16, 2011
I have a record but was told it's withheld so i marked no on the application because it syas if your has been sealed or withheld do so. But i'm still nervous it will come up an it seem like i lied or tried to hide it which isn't the case..
crazyone

Los Lunas, NM

#22 May 16, 2011
I killed someone....will that disqualify me from working with walmart?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wal Mart Stores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Best way to get walmart gift cards 6 hr xangel87x 1
Wal-Mart Compliance Chief Looking Beyond the Sc... Oct 22 PR BS 1
Amazon is not the king of cheap online prices Oct 21 Docsenko 1
Get a $250 Walmart Holiday Gift Card (Dec '13) Oct 20 how do you get one 6
Wal-Mart teams with DirectHealth to lift health... Oct 20 hmmm 5
Walmart Gift Card Oct 19 shopdays 1
How do I buy from Walmart.com and don't live in... Oct 18 confused007 1

Wal Mart Stores People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE