Wal-Mart: Great Place to Work, Take i...

Wal-Mart: Great Place to Work, Take it From an Employee

Posted in the Wal Mart Stores Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Sara

Rochester, MI

#1 Feb 15, 2008
I started my career with walmart about two weeks ago. I went on an intial interview with the pharmacy manager, as I had applied for a job in the pharmacy, and he was very professional and very eager to "give away" the position. I was called back for another interview the next week which consisted of an interview with the manager again, the district manager, and the hiring manager. In talking to the hiring manager I found that even with no background in pharmacy, I would start out at $1.40 more then if I started as a front end cashier or unloader. They then sent me for the drug test and the next day I was called and given a date for orientation. The orientation ended up being cancelled and rescheduled for two days later and lasted eight hours. I learned then the policies and that they pay their employees based on a level system. Greeters and cartpushers being level one, and managers being at the top with a level 8. The next week I spent my hours on a computer doing CBL's which are your computer-based training courses. I started my first day yesterday and everyone is so welcoming their. I can honestly say walmart is an amazing place to work. You get an extra 10% off discount, as well as the option to take any amount of your paycheck out to go towards stock or a charity through walmart.
Mary

Cedartown, GA

#2 Feb 16, 2008
Like Sara, I, too, have been recently hired by Wal-Mart in our small Georgia town. After applying for a job with Wal-Mart online, I waited for approximately two-months before I was called upon to come in and start the hiring process. I was called on Monday to report on Tuesday, and by Thursday, I was called to report for "orientation" on the follow Monday. Pretty efficient, I'd say.

I was promised a certain position, which seems reasonable to me. I will let you know if I actually get it when I have completed my training.

My starting pay is less than $9.00 per hour. I was told that after a three-month period of "Part-Time" work of 30 hours a week, I would receive a raise and be working full time.

All things considered, I am pretty satified with the way Wal-Mart has handled itself through the hiring process.

I will chronicle my experience with Wal-Mart here for the benefit of all.
Unsatisfied

Portland, OR

#3 Feb 16, 2008
Depends on who you know not what you know, and all people in charge all uneducated High School drop outs who suck educated people dry of the jobs they deserve...
LALA

Belleville, IL

#4 Jun 8, 2008
WHAT is Cbl test at wal-mart

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Ky Tornado

Bowling Green, KY

#5 Jun 13, 2008
Strange how these people never wrote back to let us know just how well they are doing.

Makes me wonder just how they feel now, months later.
Ky Tornado

Bowling Green, KY

#6 Jun 13, 2008
LALA wrote:
WHAT is Cbl test at wal-mart
A CBL is a computer based lesson. Each job,...whether a Cashier, or Floor Associate to a simple door greeter, has to complete these lessons. It is a training tool they use, you watch the lesson, answer the questions and you either pass or you fail.

In truth, some are down right dumb and boring, and if you fail, chances are it was because you got so bored you passed out watching the lesson..lol

They are not complicated and everyone has them based upon the area you work. Of course, nothing beats learning like hands on.

Hope this helps

“You can't kill rock-n-roll”

Since: Jun 08

AOL

#7 Jun 22, 2008
Wal Mart is a great place to work some think, Well have I got news for you. If you have cable t.v. with on-demand capabilities go to the FREE MOVIE section N-Z and find the Wal Mart movie, It will open your eyes to what they are REALLY like. It's NOT what the people that work there say it is.
Susan

Casper, WY

#8 Jun 30, 2008
When you just start a job you cannot tell how things really are till you are there for awhile. When ever you start a job at any place they are great to you. Give it a month or so then you can really give your true opinions. It might be the greatest place to work but no way can you tell the first day of employment. Possibly you are real young. But wish the best always.
Sara wrote:
I started my career with walmart about two weeks ago. I went on an intial interview with the pharmacy manager, as I had applied for a job in the pharmacy, and he was very professional and very eager to "give away" the position. I was called back for another interview the next week which consisted of an interview with the manager again, the district manager, and the hiring manager. In talking to the hiring manager I found that even with no background in pharmacy, I would start out at $1.40 more then if I started as a front end cashier or unloader. They then sent me for the drug test and the next day I was called and given a date for orientation. The orientation ended up being cancelled and rescheduled for two days later and lasted eight hours. I learned then the policies and that they pay their employees based on a level system. Greeters and cartpushers being level one, and managers being at the top with a level 8. The next week I spent my hours on a computer doing CBL's which are your computer-based training courses. I started my first day yesterday and everyone is so welcoming their. I can honestly say walmart is an amazing place to work. You get an extra 10% off discount, as well as the option to take any amount of your paycheck out to go towards stock or a charity through walmart.
Dewo

Pocono Pines, PA

#9 Jul 17, 2008
I just got a job at electronics section, everything seems pretty efficient except for the fact that i have to wait approximately 10 mins before the lady comes out and interviews, im the guy in connections center, w/out previous job experience, im paid ~$8
jack

Woodbridge, VA

#10 Jul 24, 2008
can i attend my cbl test form my home computer, if yes which web address i should go....
Jimmy rucker

United States

#11 Mar 17, 2009
I would like to take the cbl at my house
Jimmy rucker

United States

#12 Mar 17, 2009
How long does it take to get done with the test
boo

Mechanicsburg, PA

#13 Apr 28, 2009
i just recently got a temporay job in lawn and gardens, they didnt tell me it was tempoary when i quit my job. i sit out in the hot sun all day, people are suppost to cover me for my break but they never do, the place is actually a disaster
Amy

Canada

#14 Aug 10, 2009
I wish you could do the CBL's online at home...I just want to start doing my job but cannot until my CBL tests are all done!
Disappointed Employee

Warrensburg, MO

#15 Aug 17, 2009
I've worked at Walmart for two years now (only because jobs are scarce in my area due to the economy). It is by no means a 'good' job, it's just 'a job'. When I first started, I enjoyed the job and actually looked forward to going to work. But with every passing day, that feeling was slowly sucked out of me. As a non-management employee, you can expect to be lied to and treated disrepectfully by management. And the corporate execs certainly don't care about you. Their only concern is the bottom line. Any policy, rule, procedure, or whatever that gets implemented is only designed to go against the employee, and always in a negative way. Walmart may have been a great place to work at one time, but I believe that changed when Sam Walton passed on.
Disappointed Employee

Warrensburg, MO

#16 Aug 17, 2009
No, CBL's cannot be completed at home. They can only be accessed on certain computers setup for them. Doing a CBL is considered part of your job and doing them on your own time is against Walmart policy and a sure way to get yourself terminated.
Zombie Mart

Manor, TX

#19 Nov 28, 2009
Don't believe the hype about Wal-Mart employees being so satisfied/happy. The higher paid Wal-Mart pharmacy and photo folks and managers are presenting skewed views. The majority of folks I worked with at two different Wal-Marts in two different states were there for the regular low wages and because their skillset wasn't enough for other more lucrative jobs outside of retail slavery. The employees fell into a complacent zombie-ish acceptance and felt "happy" because it isn't rocket surgery. Wal-Mart work is appealing because it is like taking a dump: You don't really think about it, you know it needs to be done, and you feel better after flushing it down.
Mike C

Derby, KS

#20 Dec 9, 2009
I do not work there but i have family and freinds that work there and it is a terrible place for people and i think something needs to be done about the way that there are treating there employee's
Mike C

Derby, KS

#21 Dec 9, 2009
I was told by a freind and a relative that just before the blitz sale that they had all the department managers watch a video on crowd control and safety and passed around a paper for everyone to sign and when it reached the last person in the store they turned the video off and told them to go back to work. this is in eldorado kansas. i have seen and heard so much about the crap they pull on there workers it is a shame that we all shop there. Like i told my family and freinds that work there, i would like to see people that work there tell alll there freinds and family about what they are going thru there and have there friends and family picket in front of the store and get the media there to see what is going on. I am just very mad at the way they treat people, and i think if the media gets work that this is happening all over the country, than maybe something will get done or target can start building more super targets or what ever the case may be. time to step up and take control ourself.
they are a major employer but they need to change the way they do business. does anyone know if picketing is illegal and what the rules are because i am about to get something started.
come on everybody stand up.
Walmart Blows

Great Falls, MT

#22 Dec 11, 2009
Disappointed Employee wrote:
I've worked at Walmart for two years now (only because jobs are scarce in my area due to the economy). It is by no means a 'good' job, it's just 'a job'. When I first started, I enjoyed the job and actually looked forward to going to work. But with every passing day, that feeling was slowly sucked out of me. As a non-management employee, you can expect to be lied to and treated disrepectfully by management. And the corporate execs certainly don't care about you. Their only concern is the bottom line. Any policy, rule, procedure, or whatever that gets implemented is only designed to go against the employee, and always in a negative way. Walmart may have been a great place to work at one time, but I believe that changed when Sam Walton passed on.
Sam Walton set an example. He used employee intimidation and threats to surpress Unionizing from the get go.

Right now I say boycott Walmart. It's all about the money. Screw people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wal Mart Stores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Walmart pay period. (Nov '16) May 24 Ishadowkiller13 50
Walmart plastic security boxes... (Feb '12) May 22 Pleasedontlie 57
Store provided water for cap 2 May 22 Wal-9924 2
ASM Bonus 2018 May 21 Wal_ASM 1
Walmart Hire (Sep '17) May 20 doG mnaDed lyoH i... 2
Wal-mart to offer severence packages to long te... (Sep '07) May 19 Vickie 33
Getting paid May 19 God Damned Holy S... 3