Whirlpool acquires W.C. Wood assets

Whirlpool acquires W.C. Wood assets

There are 12 comments on the TheCourier.com story from Dec 9, 2009, titled Whirlpool acquires W.C. Wood assets. In it, TheCourier.com reports that:

The assets of W.C. Wood Corp., which recently closed its factory in Ottawa, will be taken over by Whirlpool Corp., WFIN radio is reporting.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TheCourier.com.

Sad to Hear

Toronto, Canada

#1 Dec 11, 2009
... Superior Court, Toronto. The court put W.C. Wood into receivership in November. The company is headquartered in Guelph, Ontario. Because W.C. Wood has interests in both the United States and Canada, it also filed for Chapter 15 protection under the ...

Related Topix: Whirlpool Corporation, Appliances, Economics News, Bankruptcy, Canada, Ontario
Up the Butt Again

Pembroke, Canada

#2 Jan 18, 2010
I.ve always been a supporter of Woods products, but I also a sucker. We moved into a new house and bought a woods upright freezer and fridge to make it look like a sidebyside.They are now 4 1/2 years old and the compressor in the freezer has been replaced 3 times and the gas leaked out of the fridge and now the gas (freon) has leak out again
Both appliances are black and can't be replace without replacing the other. I never been so diaappointed in a product in my life, not to mention sad because now have the expense of looking for new ones even though the appliances are under warranty. Thanks
Screwed as well

Burlington, Canada

#3 Feb 24, 2010
We have the same issue with the fridge as UP the Butt Again it is 21/2 old it doesn't get cod any more because of the bakrupty no warranty. So now do we fix it or by another brand. Thinking we bought Canadian we where ok. NOT.
Frozen Out

Laurel, MD

#4 Feb 28, 2010
You may get some remedy under warranty. From the Whirlpool website: "On November 16 2009, W.C. Wood announced the closure of its manufacturing locations and the immediate liquidation of its assets. In view of this current situation, availability of Whirlpool® freezer products may be limited as Whirlpool Corporation transitions to a new supply arrangement. Check with your local retailer to confirm product selection availability. In the event of warranty claims associated with Whirlpool® brand freezers, Whirlpool Corporation will work to provide consumer resolutions and protect the integrity of our brands."

Guayaquil, Ecuador

#5 Mar 3, 2010
I live in ecuador and also bought a woods chest freezer. Didn't have it a month and problems. The dealer here changed it out for another brand without any problems. Goodbye and hope whirlpool inherits all there problem since I recently heard they are closing one of their best quality refrigerator plants in Evansville,Indiana after 60 years in operation. Moving to MEXICO. Quality products continue to sell all over the world. When companies put nothing but profit over quality it always bites them in the butt in the end. Shame on you, WHIRLPOOL.
Also very disappointed

Toronto, Canada

#6 Apr 21, 2010
I too bought two side by side fridge and upright freezer. Had a Woods chest freezer for 25 years with no problems. The new freezer (May '09) was so badly sealed that it would frost up around the door. Had the gasket replaced to no avail. Then had the entire door replaced and after finally making cardboard shims managed to get it to seal. Just checked the other day and there was a huge ice dam in the bottom of the freezer. The fridge is OK but doesn't seem to have a consistent temperature. Basically both are junk. Tried to support Canadian manufacturing and this is what I got. Will go with Consumer Reports next time rather than my hope that a more local manufacturer could do the job. And unless Whirlpool is top rated - forget it. These units came with stickers saying"Crafted with Pride in the USA".

United States

#7 Sep 12, 2010
Just for the sake of reporting a good experience, we bought one all-refrigerator unit and one all-freezer unit in 2002. They are still running smooth as glass and we couldn't be more pleased! We have moved them 3 times over long distances and rough terrain and they have taken all the abuse without even the smallest problem. I am sad that the Woods Corp. met with such great challenges! They really were producing good products! It is just that when a company produces as many units of various kinds as they did, it is inevitable that a certain percentage of units will be imperfect. However, it appears from all the legal research that an imperfect part was installed, marketed, and sold in so many units that it was impossible to recover from the liabilities of warranty by the time the problems started appearing. This is a real sadness for a company which had such neat history and so many depended on for a living.
Tian Jinwen

Qingdao, China

#8 Dec 4, 2010
I visited the factory in the year 2008. Really it is hard for a company produce low value-added products in Canada.
Kimberley Payne

Orillia, Canada

#9 Apr 5, 2011
Purchased a woods all fridge and freezer from an appliance store in Orillia. June 2008n The fridge which is under 3 years old was making a loud noise and was not cold. I phoned the appliance store whom assured me that it was probably the compressor and that the repair shop that they deal with would fix the problem, Contacted the repair shop and as soon as they found out it was a woods product they would not even come and look at it as they can not get parts to fix the products. I contacted another repair shop who came and looked at it and discoveed that it was a freon leak. Filled it with freon and a mth later the same problem. This is a known problem that cant be fixed due to the sealed unit. My fridge that is less than 3 years old in no good. On compressors the manufacturer has a warranty that is good for 5years but no parts can be ordered. I contacted whirlpool and spoke to someone in the states who said there was nothing they could do they are only honouring some of the woods products and this m odel number is not being honoured. what a bunch of bull. Also I have a freezer that is a woods also 3 years old and I will be in the same boat when it decides to give up. I have an extended warranty on it that is as good as the paper its written on no good. Woods had a recall of products in 2005 and they still have the same problem in 2008 problem not solved and the consumer screwed again no help available Also the appliance store has offered no reimbusement or replacement. that store is Leons in Orillia they suggested I contact whirlpool and u see where that got me no where

Exeter, Canada

#10 May 9, 2011
have 2007 woods all fridge it is the third replacement from the first we bought in 2006, feon leak in cabinet,all three same problem. repairman says junk, not the first he has seen, brought info for new fridges. I guess buying Canadian is not always the best.

Kingston, Canada

#11 May 31, 2011
I too have a Woods All Refrigerator purchased in August 2009. It quit working a few months ago at approximately 18 months old! It was sold by Knapps Furniture in Gravenhurst. I have purchased a new refrigerator to replace it - a french door LG from another retailer. I found out that the retailers were aware of Woods' problems when this refrigerator was purchased and the more reputable ones stopped selling Woods products or warned their customers that there would be no warranty for the sake of customer service. Whirlpool will not help and I doubt it is worth repairing.$1100 down the drain!
Jeannette Ottawa Canada

Ottawa, Canada

#12 Oct 5, 2011
My Woods upright freezer just gave out on me on the weekend lost all my food because we were not home. We came home from the cottage to find a big mess. It is the compressor and I guess I was lucky that nothing happended before now,I bought it in 2003 so it lasted me 8 yrs. I was not aware that Woods went bankrupt until today as I was trying to call them and the # is no good, and my email came back, so I am screwed also. But the compressor is still under warranty and can't get it fixed now that Woods are bankrupt and Whirlpool won't do anything about it either. And from reading all the other comments no one can get parts for these Woods products so we can't even get it fixed. So I have to buy a new one. We want to buy Canadian to support Canadian companies and keep Canadian people working but look what happened, very unfortunate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whirlpool Corporation Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Appliance Factory Outlet Accused Of Racketeering (May '08) Jul '15 Glad I found this... 43
News Whirlpool plant suspends 39 workers for lying a... (Apr '08) Apr '15 Ugly 246
News Whirlpool Brand and Award-Winning Artist Hunter... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Bobbi-Jo 1
News Garage Glamour (Nov '08) Oct '13 Sarah Browski 2
News Top China Stories from WSJ: Banks Feel Strains,... (Aug '13) Aug '13 amcummer 3
News Whirlpool Launches Line of Smart Appliances wit... (Jun '13) Jun '13 tom rodgers 1
News Report: Whirlpool plans first 30-year bond offe... (Feb '13) Feb '13 arhtur paquin 1
More from around the web