Editor's blog: Whole Foods and the he...

Editor's blog: Whole Foods and the healthcare debate

There are 16 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Aug 21, 2009, titled Editor's blog: Whole Foods and the healthcare debate. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

The uproar continues over a Wall Street Journal column by Whole Foods CEO John Mackey, in which the health-food exec argued that health care is NOT an intrinsic right, while advocating for health savings accounts.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

Jake California

Menlo Park, CA

#2 Aug 21, 2009
If I run my car engine into the ground with lack of proper care and maintenance... should the public pay for a program to repair my abused car?
People in America need to take better care of themselves and look to "healthier" plans; not "fix my abused body!"

Since: May 08

Millbrae, CA

#3 Aug 21, 2009
The greatest resource this country has are its people, and keeping them productive is a great incentive. Everybody needs health care. You shouldn't have to clog emergency rooms to get preventative or routine health care. That's what makes us a civilized state and separates us from the third world. I don't believe in the class system.
Skeptic08

United States

#4 Aug 21, 2009
Related to this story the owner of Outdoor World has stated that he is opposed to the creation of an open space district in Santa Cruz County. These business people need to remember who their customers are.
free speech

UK

#5 Aug 21, 2009
good for him! hey if u don't like his opinion so be it.. Freedom! He is a smart business man who runs a great company look at his success & how well he treats his employees & at least cut him some slack.. you might not agree with his opinion but I think this business man has another winning idea..

“Where Did All the Money Go?”

Since: Sep 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#9 Aug 21, 2009
Soylent Green wrote:
The greatest resource this country has are its people, and keeping them productive is a great incentive. Everybody needs health care. You shouldn't have to clog emergency rooms to get preventative or routine health care. That's what makes us a civilized state and separates us from the third world. I don't believe in the class system.
So why do have to clog emergency rooms? Doctors also gladly accept cash or credit cards. Insurance isn't the only way to pay.

Since: May 08

United States

#11 Aug 21, 2009
Soquel by the Creek wrote:
<quoted text>
So why do have to clog emergency rooms? Doctors also gladly accept cash or credit cards. Insurance isn't the only way to pay.
Those who can't afford them. Medical bills are the number one cause of bankruptcy.
Wilst thouThink

Hurleyville, NY

#12 Aug 21, 2009
I have not read many supporters of Universal Health Care. I do understand the need or our country to advance the position of health care for our citizens but as the current bill, as it is written, does not it make clear/concise as to the roll of our government in this process. Therefore, it is our responsibility as American Citizens, to deny our government over reaching powers which encroach upon our liberty's regardless of their enticements of "Free" health care.
Until our government realizes that what they seek is expressly unconstitutional and offensive to what our founding fathers envisioned when they formed our Constitution. It is better to withdraw from this notion of health care for all.6964
Gerladine

Alameda, CA

#13 Aug 21, 2009
Lets keep this system capitalist. Survival of the fittest. If the 45 million can't figure out how to get health insurance, maybe they are just too lazy or stupid and don't deserve it in the first place. We let businesses fail, and we should let people die...its the American way.
Ouch

Santa Cruz, CA

#14 Aug 21, 2009
Gerladine wrote:
Lets keep this system capitalist. Survival of the fittest. If the 45 million can't figure out how to get health insurance, maybe they are just too lazy or stupid and don't deserve it in the first place. We let businesses fail, and we should let people die...its the American way.
Not sure if I can see the tongue in your cheek or not...... I pay to play.... you or one of the other 45 million dont.... so you go to the emergency room.... cant pay.... so my rates go up..... not sure that is capitalism... not survival of the fittest thats for sure.. Survival of the fittest would have a hospital policy, no money no service
Santa Cruzan

Santa Cruz, CA

#15 Aug 22, 2009
most of those who visit the emergency room are illegals. They won't have a doctor because the doctor will demand paymand at time of visit. But the emergency room does not do that.
Donna

Westminster, CA

#19 Aug 24, 2009
We live in a capitalist society. If people don't like it they have the option to move to a different country. So much better than going on and on about it. And no one has ever been turned away in an emergency. I've never seen paramedics walk away and say "no, he was an illegal, can't help him." Come on people, wake up!
Bruce

Azusa, CA

#20 Aug 24, 2009
Soquel by the Creek wrote:
<quoted text>
So why do have to clog emergency rooms? Doctors also gladly accept cash or credit cards. Insurance isn't the only way to pay.
The answer is simple. The rates for those that pay themselves are much higher than the rates they charge the insurance companies. Insurance companies have no right to skim money off that should be going directly to doctors and hospitals. It is the medical insurance companies that are driving the health care rate so high.
Bruce

Azusa, CA

#21 Aug 24, 2009
Wilst thouThink wrote:
I have not read many supporters of Universal Health Care. I do understand the need or our country to advance the position of health care for our citizens but as the current bill, as it is written, does not it make clear/concise as to the roll of our government in this process. Therefore, it is our responsibility as American Citizens, to deny our government over reaching powers which encroach upon our liberty's regardless of their enticements of "Free" health care.
Until our government realizes that what they seek is expressly unconstitutional and offensive to what our founding fathers envisioned when they formed our Constitution. It is better to withdraw from this notion of health care for all.6964
How about we just pay the doctors directly like we used to. Keep the insurance companies out of it. Those that cannot afford the doctors rates can petition the government for aid.
Bruce

Azusa, CA

#22 Aug 24, 2009
Whole Foods is ok, but Henry's is as good and much less expensive.
loweroceanlocal

Santa Cruz, CA

#23 Aug 24, 2009
Jake California wrote:
If I run my car engine into the ground with lack of proper care and maintenance... should the public pay for a program to repair my abused car?
People in America need to take better care of themselves and look to "healthier" plans; not "fix my abused body!"
yes but a car is not a necessity for everyone, and healthcare is. the way a body gets run down is lack of maintenance and proper care. regular checkups are essential to good health care, and there are many working american families who cannot afford to pay under the current system. these are not bums or druggies but just normal working folks.

“Where Did All the Money Go?”

Since: Sep 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#24 Aug 25, 2009
Donna wrote:
... SNIP ...
And no one has ever been turned away in an emergency. I've never seen paramedics walk away and say "no, he was an illegal, can't help him." Come on people, wake up!
By federal law, emergency rooms are required to provide service to anybody, regardless of citizenship, or ability to pay.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Medica...

Although such requirements are federally mandated, they are not necessarily re-imbursed by the federal government. Consequently, hospitals "cost-shift" this care to paying customers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whole Foods Market Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'I apologize to the LGBT community': Texas past... 1 hr Skippy 13
News Here's the best reason of all to drink organic ... Aug 24 Serratus Anterior 1
News Feds: Whole Foods can't trademark 'world's heal... Jul 29 bill gatez 1
Whole Foods Layoffs Jul '16 Bob 1
News Pastor Who Accused Whole Foods of Slur on Cake ... May '16 lavon affair 2
News Man apologizes, withdraws Whole Foods gay slur ... May '16 Three Days 2
News Lawsuit claims Whole Foods sold cake with anti-... Apr '16 Mullahing It Over 1
More from around the web