Whole Foods creates Haiti fund, takin...

Whole Foods creates Haiti fund, taking donations

There are 2 comments on the Atlanta Business Chronicle story from Jan 18, 2010, titled Whole Foods creates Haiti fund, taking donations. In it, Atlanta Business Chronicle reports that:

Whole Foods Market Inc. is pitching in for Haiti relief efforts. The natural foods store created a Haitian Fund late last week and is collecting donations from all 289 stores nationwide, including its seven in metro Atlanta.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Atlanta Business Chronicle.

A Whole Foods Customer

Springfield, VA

#1 Jan 21, 2010
When they asked me at check out if I wanted to donate my bag refund to Haiti and I said "No thanks, I have already given" (it was true BTW) they became very upset with me. The checker repeated the question and I said no again. She was so upset and asked what charities I would donate to and I said the charity was fine, I was just tired of being asked to donate. Whole Foods constantly is pushing some decidedly ungreen product a portion of which goes to such and such. Why can't Whole Foods just be a grocery store? I don't respect their opinion about where I should make my charitable donations, and I don't like them interrupting my day. And why don't they contribute themselves instead of harassing their customers?

Maple, Canada

#2 Jan 23, 2010
They call this bullying nonsense the "prompted donation method". You go up to the cashier to just purchase your products and the cashier will almost yell out in a voice loud enough that the sixteenth person behind you can hear her, "would you like to donate to blah, blah, blah,". The idea here is to use a combination of shame, embarrassment and intimidation. What gives the store the right to use their checkout counters as bullies and shakedown artists? Why can't people just buy their goods and be left alone? Why can't they just leave a donation jar on the counter for people who may want to give? Why the heavy hand put on people? I make a point to say to the person in an even louder voice NO THANKS.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whole Foods Market Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Load thrower possition Jan '18 Nick 1
Whole Foods Market prepared foods beware Oct '17 Michael 1
Bagged Avocados are full of brown spots Oct '17 Michael 1
News Now at Whole Foods: Cheaper milk, 'farm fresh' ... (Aug '17) Sep '17 a_visitor 5
News That chicken from Whole Foods isn't so special ... (Aug '17) Aug '17 hier is a liar 1
News Man apologizes, withdraws Whole Foods gay slur ... (May '16) May '17 Mcguillacutty 3
News America Loves Muslim Food. So Much for a Clash ... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 11