Harley signs labor deals

Apr 2, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

“A strike could result in simultaneous shutdowns of the whole production system, if it got that far. I don't think Harley wants that”

Harley-Davidson Inc. has signed tentative four-year labor agreements with its largest Wisconsin labor unions, a move which industry analysts say is welcome because it lessens the risk of a strike and production ... via Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
non com

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

So the price tag for HD is going up another 10 - 20% while production will go down by 10 - 20%. Down the road we can lookforward to plant closings, layoffs. Believe me, I have grown up in a union family. MEA for my mother UAW uncles and a grand father and Steelworkers with my other grandfather. I believe they have a place. You can't squeeze water from a rock is all I am saying. The US some how is going to have to figue out how to live with in its means, from the top on down. I am the son of an independ business man, when business dried up for a my father, we stayed home, turned the heat down, canceled cable, ate in, and turned the lights off in the rooms we were not using. Some of these plants need to do the same. Giving a little here and there with the unions will assure employment and a future for small business. Remember when HD was an AMF company? The midwest has about 3 - 5 years before anyone is going to buy anything extra. Suck it up Willy, your family may have to start turning out the lights and turning down the heat.
Long time Harley Rider

Cedar Creek, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2008

Labor unions have had their place in the past but they have had to come into reality with the auto makers and guess what, American cars compete pretty well now a days. I love my 2000 injected RoadKing I bought used years ago and I love vintage cars. Actually I sold the hotrod that got 9mpg and replaced it with the Harley because I enjoy it much more often. But this purchase was based on emotion for old American iron. I didnt buy it because it was the fastest, lightest or cheapest. Harley just wont ever move over seas and if the unions didnt abuse this fact so much Harleys sticker prices would be more in line with other makes and have a bigger market share and thus there would be more room for more workers and more security for them.
93 883 xlh

Traverse City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2008

I will have to say that the above is true. Well put. I went to a dealership today. What a buzz of activity. But what a bunch of yupped up garbage wagons. Honestly, I don't care for the anniversary additions this year. My bike was clean when I bought it. I added chrome, a new seat ect. Here is the deal though, I take a lot of pride in owning a true American piece of iron. I don't ware it on my cloths, my leather, and I don't have a HD tatoo. I ware my Harley Pride where everyone should, in my heart. My Sport has been better to me than I have to it, and has never let me down. I am not however going to drop $10,000 on a new one, my God!!! I have decided that I will keep the one I have, and perhaps move up to a Buell XB12XT for a touring scoot.$19,000 for a wide glide, get real!!!
non com

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2008

Judged:

All that Harley crap is made in China anyways. Hey next time you are in a Harley Dealership check out all of the Jap Parts on a HD these days. Unions may but them to gether but more and more parts are made by others. Go figure!
Buell eh, Lot o plastic parts on them things.
Robert

Amarillo, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2008

Harley, like Victory, is so one dimensional in its product that even a small change in the financial fortune of their customers can leave them with few too many buyers. That seams to be happening right now. The wealthy and/or desperate exhibitionist is their main customer base. There is a lot of them, unfortunatly. But even a "cheap" Harley is still to costly when you struggle with $4+per gallon gas. The customer base is feeling the pinch of reality and sales are down. Harley is thinking between its legs, not between its ears.
York County Resident

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2008

Can some one recaarticle as it will not come up?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Wisconsin Energy Corporation Discussions

Search the Wisconsin Energy Corporation Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Ex-sales manager files 'whistleblower' lawsuit ... (Feb '08) Jan '14 Grainger intengrity NOT 27
Wisconsin Energy unit buys former Delphi site f... (Aug '11) Dec '11 The Authority 2
Hundreds March to Protest Police Brutality in W... (Apr '08) Feb '11 alb 3214 9
Kids' Dress-Up Day Draws Christian Ire (Apr '08) Oct '08 maiigun 7
Elementary School Principal Charged With Sexual... (Apr '08) Oct '08 SteveoChiTown 104
Injuries to racing greyhounds increase (Feb '08) Sep '08 greyhound worker 13
Wisconsin groups plan green graveyards as natur... (Jun '08) Jun '08 Anthony Sollitto 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••