Should Kids Get Paid to go to School?

Sep 8, 2008 Full story: www.kuow.org 247

This year about 3,000 middle school students at lowachieving schools in the District of Columbia will get paid to show up at school and do well.

Full Story
First Prev
of 13
Next Last
James dude

Kitchener, Canada

#1 Oct 22, 2008
I want my cash!!!!!!!!!!
miriam

Texas City, TX

#2 Oct 22, 2008
bring it baby,give it !!!!!!!!!!
Alec Gutierrez

Mesa, AZ

#3 Oct 23, 2008
not fair... in arizona Fremont Jr. High doesn't give out any money...

“Green card?”

Since: Jan 08

Tepic, Nayarit, Mexico

#4 Oct 23, 2008
If they are going to do that it should be everyone, not just underachievers. No one should be payed for not being a good student, sounds like the program is doomed.
Sue

United States

#5 Oct 24, 2008
paying children to go to public school??????? i don't think so. my tax dollars will be totally wasted on usless children that don't want to learn in the first place. my husband and i put our boy thru private school without any payment to him during his years attending school.

Since: Oct 08

Seattle

#6 Oct 31, 2008
I say that if that money goes twards college, housing, food or any school-related endevor yes. We should give kids the tools to learn. Not buy little jimmy pokemon cards because he got a A in math. Let his mom do that.
Jamie

Slave Lake, Canada

#7 Nov 3, 2008
We sould get paid cuz its SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Boring it would make me want to go

Since: Oct 08

Chesterfield, MO

#8 Nov 3, 2008
No, I remember when my friends would tell me how their parents gave them money for good grades (this was in like 6th grade). It always disgusted me. Can't we teach kids some self-worth? This, to me, is a very sad social commentary. But maybe it works?

“Green card?”

Since: Jan 08

Tepic, Nayarit, Mexico

#9 Nov 3, 2008
topicopic wrote:
No, I remember when my friends would tell me how their parents gave them money for good grades (this was in like 6th grade). It always disgusted me. Can't we teach kids some self-worth? This, to me, is a very sad social commentary. But maybe it works?
There is a section on americansolutions.com about this method, it seems to work.
This is BS

United States

#10 Nov 4, 2008
More of feeding into the lil thug monsters. Whats next we're going to pay them to go to College?
I would maybe agree with this if the money was put into a bank account till the end of the school year. Used towards something constructive like more schooling NOT MORE BLING!!!!!
Also how is this fair to the other kids, what happen to EQUAL RIGHTS seems pretty unfair.

If my tax money is going towards this I would like one of these under achievers to come mow my lawn. Earning money the REAL way by WORKING!!!!!
p money x

Naples, FL

#11 Nov 6, 2008
This is BS wrote:
More of feeding into the lil thug monsters. Whats next we're going to pay them to go to College?
I would maybe agree with this if the money was put into a bank account till the end of the school year. Used towards something constructive like more schooling NOT MORE BLING!!!!!
Also how is this fair to the other kids, what happen to EQUAL RIGHTS seems pretty unfair.
If my tax money is going towards this I would like one of these under achievers to come mow my lawn. Earning money the REAL way by WORKING!!!!!
I agree with you, you are so coooooool!!, i f ing agree with you
P money x

Naples, FL

#12 Nov 6, 2008
Students in collier county have beeen getting payied and that is so not fair. They should start working to earn their money instead of just going to school and getting payed.
jose x3

Brownsville, TX

#13 Nov 14, 2008
yes it's good that kids get paid to go to school because sacudelo say's so
Mathlete

Seattle, WA

#14 Nov 14, 2008
What about the kids who do well in school? Do they just get cast aside? This isn't very fair but if it works maybe they should continue it.
Baltimooooore

Baltimore, MD

#15 Nov 15, 2008
you dont get rewarded for doing what you are supposed to do. stop catering to your children! make them work!! or do we like obese todlers that cant read write or speak properly but know they want a #3 with onion rings

Since: Nov 08

Baltimore, MD

#16 Nov 16, 2008
Mathlete wrote:
What about the kids who do well in school? Do they just get cast aside? This isn't very fair but if it works maybe they should continue it.
this idea is not even worth entertaining. its like saying racism worked in america (for whites) for so long... maybe they should continue it?

i'm with the guy that wants to teach SELF WORTH.
your children aren't intelligent, change that.
robert tolbert

Fort Calhoun, NE

#17 Nov 25, 2008
we kids got to put up with the bitch ass teachers that piss us off everyday we see them so hell yea we should get paid
franki gutierrez

Lindsay, MT

#19 Dec 2, 2008
greety kids don't need to be gettin paid fo school!! it's just WRONG!!!!
franki gutierrez

Lindsay, MT

#20 Dec 2, 2008
Greety kids don't need to be getting paid fo school!! it's just WRONG!!!
reid medearis

Lindsay, MT

#21 Dec 2, 2008
i love unicorns and fairies!!! YAYYY!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Washington Mutual Finance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
American banks: From Whoo hoo to boo hoo (Sep '08) Mar '14 Ameline 12
JPMorgan Chase, feds hit snag in part of $13B s... (Oct '13) Nov '13 alignmywealth99 2
Washington mutual perpetual bonds(cayman) 7.5 %... (Jun '09) Jun '12 zeith 2
Washington Mutual Sues Its D&O Insurers, Seeks ... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Shobo in Chaska 1
WaMu creditors to vote on bankruptcy plan (Jan '12) Mar '12 Shobo in Chaska 4
Clarification: Washington Mutual-Bankruptcy story (Mar '12) Mar '12 Shobo in Chaska 1
riorganization (Mar '12) Mar '12 Shobo in Chaska 2
More from around the web