please someone tell me what is going to happen to our cos. dept.?

Posted in the Walgreens Forum

cos girl mom

Goose Creek, SC

#1 Jan 17, 2011
are we sr. beauty advisors going to still have jobs?
morals

Las Vegas, NV

#2 Jan 17, 2011
Havent heard anything on west coast - las vegas
cos girl mom

Goose Creek, SC

#3 Jan 17, 2011
i hear cooperate has said there is 12 -18 mos. of hard times for our stores.
MWM

Lewisville, TX

#4 Jan 17, 2011
Have been wondering that myself. In some stores last year they did do away with BA's and SBA. It is a wait ans see situation-unless someone ups what they know..hopefully fact not fiction.
morals

Las Vegas, NV

#5 Jan 17, 2011
best thing to do is not get too worried about it , as to be quite honest staffing in stores is at a skeleton level , the only move i can see them doing is reducing area apportioned to cosmetics and replacing it with medical equipment . which would mean staff diversification as opposed to reductions
Diane

Sahuarita, AZ

#6 Jan 17, 2011
MWM wrote:
Have been wondering that myself. In some stores last year they did do away with BA's and SBA. It is a wait ans see situation-unless someone ups what they know..hopefully fact not fiction.
Hell, why not shoot themselves in the foot one more time. I don't know what they are thinking.
Eric MGT

Kent, WA

#7 Jan 17, 2011
The cos "counter" is an old fashioned idea that needs to be eliminated. Walgreens could literally save hundreds of millions of dollars by eliminating BA's and SBA's. Walmart and the other big chains don't have such positions, and they do just fine. If you're concerned about your job, maybe you can become a service clerk. Or better yet, get an education and leave retail forever.
cos girl mom

Goose Creek, SC

#8 Jan 18, 2011
eric i hear cvs just has a store manger and one key holder and i do know a cvs store manager who used to work for walgreens as a exa and when they have their dist. meetings they make fun of how much walgreens spends on payroll.
cos girl mom

Goose Creek, SC

#9 Jan 18, 2011
We all have educations at walgreens with many differant degrees.Some may not have finished because walgreens enticed them out with promises.I know of a few parents who are upset with their children because they spent money to send them to school to get a degree in one field and ended up in retail where you can be a store manaqger with out a degree, but that is far as you can go in the company.
MWM

Lewisville, TX

#10 Jan 18, 2011
Eric MGT wrote:
The cos "counter" is an old fashioned idea that needs to be eliminated. Walgreens could literally save hundreds of millions of dollars by eliminating BA's and SBA's. Walmart and the other big chains don't have such positions, and they do just fine. If you're concerned about your job, maybe you can become a service clerk. Or better yet, get an education and leave retail forever.
Hey .. how would you feel if it were you ? Hummm.no one is special at Wag.. you to can be gone in heartbeat.. can it bubba
Diane

Sahuarita, AZ

#11 Jan 18, 2011
Eric MGT wrote:
It was my understanding that cosmetics had a good profit margin.I know the SBA and I brought the profits way up bacause of her expertise and years at Walgreens. She taught me so much and together we had a tight red zone. We were one on one with customers, doing what we were suppose to do, help find the right product for them,lipstick colors etc. They loved coming back and we were given credit for doing such a great job. I made $8.50 per hour and she made $11.00 per hour after 12 years with company. I think SBAs and BAs are what makes Walgreens different from other chains. They also pick up alot of slack, at least I did. Cleaning bathrooms, breakroom etc. Anyway, thats my opinion. Not exactly high dollar pay, don't you think?
sherman

Houston, TX

#12 Jan 18, 2011
Diane wrote:
<quoted text>It was my understanding that cosmetics had a good profit margin.I know the SBA and I brought the profits way up bacause of her expertise and years at Walgreens. She taught me so much and together we had a tight red zone. We were one on one with customers, doing what we were suppose to do, help find the right product for them,lipstick colors etc. They loved coming back and we were given credit for doing such a great job. I made $8.50 per hour and she made $11.00 per hour after 12 years with company. I think SBAs and BAs are what makes Walgreens different from other chains. They also pick up alot of slack, at least I did. Cleaning bathrooms, breakroom etc. Anyway, thats my opinion. Not exactly high dollar pay, don't you think?
The profit margin for cosmetics is one of the highest (if not THE highest) in the store. SBAs and BAs, if they are very customer oriented, can make a big difference in a store's profits. I would hate working in a store without the BA position. Members of management don't stop to think how much of a load they take off of MGTs, EXAs, and store managers. Every time I have to cover customer service calls for the cosmetic areas (because of the cut backs) I appreciate the BAs more -- especially when the customer questions me about a fragrance or a brand of makeup :)
WaGEXA

Eugene, OR

#13 Jan 18, 2011
sherman wrote:
<quoted text>
The profit margin for cosmetics is one of the highest (if not THE highest) in the store. SBAs and BAs, if they are very customer oriented, can make a big difference in a store's profits. I would hate working in a store without the BA position. Members of management don't stop to think how much of a load they take off of MGTs, EXAs, and store managers. Every time I have to cover customer service calls for the cosmetic areas (because of the cut backs) I appreciate the BAs more -- especially when the customer questions me about a fragrance or a brand of makeup :)
Cosmetics is a big profit maker, but the margins are slimmer than photo.

The best part about having a BA/SBA is that it creates a competitive advantage for Walgreens, especially amongst an older demographic. When few to no stores have a person dedicated to helping customers find beauty products, it creates a huge opportunity for each store to pick up customers.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#14 Jan 18, 2011
WaGEXA wrote:
<quoted text>
Cosmetics is a big profit maker, but the margins are slimmer than photo.
The best part about having a BA/SBA is that it creates a competitive advantage for Walgreens, especially amongst an older demographic. When few to no stores have a person dedicated to helping customers find beauty products, it creates a huge opportunity for each store to pick up customers.
Margins for photo are based upon different factors. If you look at strictly the expense of the supplies then yes it's the largest margin in the store by far. However, if you factor in the cost of the machines themselves and the upkeep on them (i.e. DTR) then those margins become less. I had a DM that said the photo lab was pure profit. Another DM, in a different region that I was transfered to, said that was "pure garbage".
Diane

Sahuarita, AZ

#15 Jan 18, 2011
I live in a retirement community and the 65 and older ladies loved the special attention. Customers want to try new stuff and we always tried to have plenty of samples because they would buy it! We prided ourselves on keeping red zone clean and appealing to the eye. We had a very friendly competitive thing going on ( who had the highest sales and PMs etc. We were also recognized in district for bringing the percentage up. New management came in and said we "spoiled" the customers.Stop spending so much time with them. Things went to s**t after that. The SBA and I both left within 2 months of each other. Go figure!
cos girl mom

Goose Creek, SC

#16 Jan 18, 2011
I would like to thank wagexa,diane,sherman, hwm,and morals for what you all have said it all is the truth in my dept. and you all were encouraging. billysh your dept. is also important to the co. and the the customers you serve.Eric we all are in the trenchs and are one big family with many circumstances I hope you get all the support you need to keep up the good work that you do for our co.
cos girl mom

Goose Creek, SC

#17 Jan 18, 2011
What about the buildig of 108 wilmot rd. campus exspecting to move in teams by the fall, that must be costing a pretty penny.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#18 Jan 18, 2011
There are some some stores without BA or SBA. I am still not sold on the idea that you save more money, but you need someone who can fulfill that roll during high volume times ( Christmas, Valentines, and Mother's Day ) and then relocate them in other departments.

They key is making sure you have a flexible workforce. I think there should be one or two people trained, but it should not be a 365 day position.

In my store the most qualified person to be a BA would be one of my techs (she went to beautician school). Most BA I come across are really not qualified and usually end up being the SMG favorite employee who can not run photo.
Diane

Sahuarita, AZ

#19 Jan 18, 2011
cos girl mom wrote:
I would like to thank wagexa,diane,sherman, hwm,and morals for what you all have said it all is the truth in my dept. and you all were encouraging. billysh your dept. is also important to the co. and the the customers you serve.Eric we all are in the trenchs and are one big family with many circumstances I hope you get all the support you need to keep up the good work that you do for our co.
That is so sweet! Good luck to you and the above mentioned.Stay true to your hearts. Too bad the company does not know what fine people they have.
cos girl

Waterloo, IL

#20 Jan 20, 2011
Eric MGT wrote:
this comment annoys me. eric, good luck with all the customer service and warehouse and makeup wall reset and all the other slack you'll have to pick up if they get rid of cos employees.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ASM to Store Manager promotion 39 min Xenu 102
My Voice survey 1 hr Itdoesntmatter70 12
What are the times for Walgreen Store night shift? (Jun '11) 6 hr chris 11
asmt interview 6 hr Hawkeye 10
CL to DM promotion announced 11 hr Real reality 215
What's the fate of HPS position? 15 hr whyyousojelly 24
Walgreens music playlist from 2011 to the present (Apr '12) 17 hr Panterababe90 1,855
Leadership schedule Fri sensible SM 21
CL transfers and Store Manager Elimination 2015... (Mar '14) Fri Road dog 378
More from around the web