United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Walgreens is such a cheap company repacking the same merchandise year after year. Sometimes you see stuff from 5-10 years ago. I think they are the only company that wastes space and resources instead of donating their junk.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

What gets me about repacks is, they always want the new stuff out first before the old crap. That makes no sense. Sometimes you don't have room for the old crap by the time you have all the new stuff set.......

Like Valentines......we STILL have A TON of kids valentines cards I know have been there FOR YEARS.....can't get rid of them......why not mark that crap down and get it out the door?
SellWAG

Denver, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

We still have 98 degrees valentine cards. Lots of them.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

Repacks are stupid. It's a waste of money to pay carrying charges on garbage that sits in the stock room 9-10 months out of the year. It is also a waste in payroll to pack and unpack it each year.

We need to go 50, then 75, then 90% off all seasonal each year. After the 90% pack up all the junk into boxes and ship it off to a liquidator. That's what real retailers (Target, Walmart, etc.) do. Keeps merchandise fresh and stores junk free.

Would also help if they didn't force half of the garbage in your seasonal aisle down your throat with authorized distribution. Managers know what sells best in their stores and what to order. Buyers at corporate just try and meet their quotas.
WaGEXA

Eugene, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous1 wrote:
Walgreens is such a cheap company repacking the same merchandise year after year. Sometimes you see stuff from 5-10 years ago. I think they are the only company that wastes space and resources instead of donating their junk.
If you've got the same stuff as 5-10 years ago, then your management staff is terrible. Items not in the current set should be marked down after 1 year, let alone 5.
Anonymous1

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Haha Every year I would just 1506 crap that was unsellable. My favorite items to see would be old costumes that a blind man would be embarrassed to be seen in. Paper jamz and fake wii we sold 3 years ago. What a stupid company wasting money and resources with this stupid program. Does anyone have items that made you just laugh when you unpacked them?

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

SellWAG wrote:
We still have 98 degrees valentine cards. Lots of them.
LMAO!! Talk about old
Anonymous1

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

WaGEXA wrote:
<quoted text>
If you've got the same stuff as 5-10 years ago, then your management staff is terrible. Items not in the current set should be marked down after 1 year, let alone 5.
dude my point is that Walgreens donate this crap and let it sit in the back. Walgreens is the only company I know that does this. It wastes space and resources. Walgreens=stupid cheapass company.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

WaGEXA wrote:
<quoted text>
We do and our SM is a CL but his kpis are in the tank. We also had 70 repacks for christmas Go figure.
WaGEXA

Eugene, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous1 wrote:
<quoted text> dude my point is that Walgreens donate this crap and let it sit in the back. Walgreens is the only company I know that does this. It wastes space and resources. Walgreens=stupid cheapass company.
Walgreens is attempting to reduce seasonal repacks throughout the seasons.

Again, I stress that if your store is heavy on the repacks, your store management is CHOOSING to carry it over. At this time, no one from corporate is mandating that you have large numbers of repacks.

If you have items from 5-10 years ago, mark them down until they sell.

If you have 70+ repacks, you did a poor job of marking down items you were heavy on before Christmas Day. Time-phased reports are your friend; use them.
Anonymous1

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

WaGEXA wrote:
<quoted text>
Walgreens is attempting to reduce seasonal repacks throughout the seasons.
Again, I stress that if your store is heavy on the repacks, your store management is CHOOSING to carry it over. At this time, no one from corporate is mandating that you have large numbers of repacks.
If you have items from 5-10 years ago, mark them down until they sell.
If you have 70+ repacks, you did a poor job of marking down items you were heavy on before Christmas Day. Time-phased reports are your friend; use them.
Walgreens is retarded with this program period. No other retailer does this
WaGEXA

Eugene, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Anonymous1 wrote:
<quoted text> Walgreens is retarded with this program period. No other retailer does this
Having a few repacks with items that will be in next year's ads again is fine.

Having junked-up repacks with lots of 1s and 2s and old items is what causes issues.
1506ANDDESTROY

New Braunfels, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

OMG..WE HAD LESS THAN 10 REPACKS FOR CHRISTMAS THIS YEAR! MARK IT DOWN OR 1506...AND DESTROY!!! I THINK THE MICHAEL JACKSON MASK WAS THE WORSE TO REOPEN AND LOOK AT!!!

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

1506ANDDESTROY wrote:
OMG..WE HAD LESS THAN 10 REPACKS FOR CHRISTMAS THIS YEAR! MARK IT DOWN OR 1506...AND DESTROY!!! I THINK THE MICHAEL JACKSON MASK WAS THE WORSE TO REOPEN AND LOOK AT!!!
Tell that to the cheapest SOB on the planet.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Your store manager controls the amount of repacks you have. Of course he or she often has to battle their own CL, DM or VP to get things done.

I left my last store with 5 repacks TOTAL.

So far since I have taken over my new store, I have one halloween repack, and one xmas repack. I anticipate having between 4-6 repacks total by the time I have been there for a year.

My VP challenged my clearance philosophy on his last visit. I reminded him that I have over 10 years of running high profit/low inventory stores. He said he knew and left me alone about it. End of story.
Anonymous1

Westminster, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

True but some DMs demand that everything be packed by certain date. Usually a week. But Repacks are stupid and a waste of space and resources.
ynot

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Yeah? Who's your VP?

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

A lot of things which are characterized as DM "demands" are incorrectly interpreted as such by managers who are fearful. In my experience, things often classified as "mandatory" are more like "optional."

Overall, if you run the front of your store well and it looks neat, clean and you have a plan- the DM will defer to your judgement. Being a long term manager probably helps too.

However, if your store is one collosal f*ck story, the DM probably won't trust your mgr's judgement.

I just repacked my one xmas repack today. It was about 1/3 full. It consisted of 24 ornament hooks, 2 ribbon rolls, 2 bags of bows, 2 light fuses, and 5 stockings.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

disgovernment wrote:
A lot of things which are characterized as DM "demands" are incorrectly interpreted as such by managers who are fearful. In my experience, things often classified as "mandatory" are more like "optional."
Overall, if you run the front of your store well and it looks neat, clean and you have a plan- the DM will defer to your judgement. Being a long term manager probably helps too.
However, if your store is one collosal f*ck story, the DM probably won't trust your mgr's judgement.
I just repacked my one xmas repack today. It was about 1/3 full. It consisted of 24 ornament hooks, 2 ribbon rolls, 2 bags of bows, 2 light fuses, and 5 stockings.
I have to give you huge props for being the only manager that I know of to have any common sense to properly run a store. Even though m store received alot less xmas this season, we still had about 40 boxes of repacks. Why? Because my manager didn't have the stones to mark anything below 50%, and he didn't bother to mark any of the toys down at all so we have a bunch of those again as well. For once, it would be nice to work with a manager who knows how to clear out old crap so we don't have to deal with it year after year. My speciality is merchadising, but my manager thinks he knows all and won't listen to the likes of me. Too bad, I have all sorts of ideas that would help him out greatly.
Altec Lansing

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

seinfan01 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to give you huge props for being the only manager that I know of to have any common sense to properly run a store. Even though m store received alot less xmas this season, we still had about 40 boxes of repacks. Why? Because my manager didn't have the stones to mark anything below 50%, and he didn't bother to mark any of the toys down at all so we have a bunch of those again as well. For once, it would be nice to work with a manager who knows how to clear out old crap so we don't have to deal with it year after year. My speciality is merchadising, but my manager thinks he knows all and won't listen to the likes of me. Too bad, I have all sorts of ideas that would help him out greatly.
Fortunately for my store (and district) the DM told stores to mark xmas down 75% because there were too many SMs wanting to only go 50% off. We have about 3ft left of xmas and when we repack it (if we repack it) it will only be 3-4 repacks.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of30
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

47 Users are viewing the Walgreens Forum right now

Search the Walgreens Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Managers Breath smells Like Horse shit 35 min Sassygirl 4
ecc 1 hr blah 16
cameras watching you 5 hr Archer 21
I Was Offered the SFL Position Today (Apr '12) 5 hr theborg 37
secretly recording someone 8 hr theborg 13
How long do you give a store manager to fix a p... 10 hr Captain Prozac 4
Why You Should Consider CVS Instead Of Walgreen 11 hr Some Guy 2
Walgreens music playlist from 2011 to the present (Apr '12) 11 hr C canada 945
store managers next? Jul 9 Employee 46