Can anyone answer a question about th...

Can anyone answer a question about this ESI thing?

Posted in the Walgreens Forum

Chicago born and bred

Cleveland, OH

#1 Sep 23, 2011
OK,It looks like that we will not be using ESI. I understand its about the money and we as a company can give new choices to keep our customers and super service.
If I was CVS or Rite Aid or any other chain I would be just hoping that Walgreens fails in its attempts to come to an agreement. The reason is that those two chains are in a great position to snag all our lost front end sales that dont switch to us. I believe its alot more money to lose in the front end than the difference of not making any money with the express scripts agreement. All those grocery stores and retail chains like Target and Kmart will get our business and front ends sales. The other Drug chains are accepting this contract with ESI...We as a chain just seem to be in a hole recently trying put out fires.
IMHO We have left the Business people in the company take over. We remodel stores with CCR and then raise prices for this new tier. How long will it take when folks notice that a qt of oil is over $6.00 at our store as well as other items? A jar of Miracle whip is over $6.00? I believe that as a company that we have lost focus and in in due time someone in the company will have to take responsibility for this mess

Midlothian, IL

#2 Sep 23, 2011
Come Greg take on the responsibilty and admit that you are an idiot and QUIT!!! I look forward for the next CEO who gives a SH>>>>T about customers and employees not numbers.
Crystalballimper fect

Owings Mills, MD

#3 Sep 23, 2011
You know it's about time someone stood up.
I can't believe you! Just take whatever they have to offer, are you serious comparing wag to ritedead. Ritedead is virtually bankrupt and will do anything to keep their doors open.
Ritedead is thinking shortterm sure they'll be happy to get a boost for the next 3 years of contract negiotiations. But what happens for the nect 30 years!
Life expectancy was pushing 100 last I heard do you honestly think with express scripts you'll have front end sales oh excuse me employees to sell front end sales for the next 20-30 years till retirement.
Please maybe you should open a front end at their mail-order facility if you so sympathetic.
James Brown

United States

#4 Sep 23, 2011
ESI's endgame is mail order. You don't think if they're successful vis a vis Walgreens, they won't do the same thing to CVS/Rite Aid? Let's not muddy the water here, this isn't ESI vs. Walgreens, it's PBM vs. community pharmacy. It's much more a battle of fundamentals than anything else.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#5 Sep 23, 2011
I can't remember which trade magazine it was, but if ESI merged withe Medco and flex its muscle to the rest of the industry as it's doing with Walgreen's, it was estimated around 80% of independent pharmacies would fold.

That would be a detrimental to the industry.

Louisville, KY

#6 Sep 24, 2011
esi has not merged with medco, they are currently in an anti trust suit with the federal government waiting for approval of the merger.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#7 Sep 24, 2011
wag wrote:
esi has not merged with medco, they are currently in an anti trust suit with the federal government waiting for approval of the merger.
Correct and it will probably not happen (some reports put at 5%).

I have heard so many wild things about this whole issue. One rumor saying ESI announcing to merge with Medco days after Walgreens walked out of negotiations as retribution and to put the screws to Walgreens.

Another was days after ESI sued Walgreens to stop talking to patients about switching, Walgreens asked to go to arbitration witch essentially halts ESI suit because it can't progress until arbitration is done (which will take weeks if not a couple of months). Walgreens could have gone to arbitration, but perhaps delaying to give a ESI a black eye with the customers.

There is another rumor that ESI was upset at Walgreens because of an earlier acquisition of of stores that had a more favorable reimbursement rate. This lead to Walgreens collecting more and ESI wanted to bring Walgreens down to lower levels.

Rumors abound.

At work I tow the company line do my best to get this issue resolved. I only hope that the information we get is 100% on point, because if it is not I could damage the relationship with my customers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Store Coaches 5 hr RetaiLifer 11
Write ups 8 hr BigBrother 20
Boston Area districts (Mar '15) 9 hr Janice 55
Does anyone else find it ridiculous..... 10 hr EXasm 15
cut hours. 11 hr Nosickdays 2
P & L Removal 11 hr Nice Nuts 33
Overall and RX NPS! 13 hr MoneyTalks 3
Sherrise Trotz Fired 23 hr STFU 29