loss prevention is getting axed

Posted in the Walgreens Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#1 Mar 15, 2012
Once loss prevention does the dirty work of firing management for petty things to help in the attrition of managers they will be let go. Right after wasson was promoted to CEO, wags went to bentonville ar and hired a bunch if their execs. We are rapidly falling into line with Walmart structure. Not long ago Walmart got rid of their LP supervisors. Left it up to store managers to find internal theft, and HR to handle employee relations. Wags will be doing the same with our LP supervisors. So if you get terminated by LP for something silly like missing a bag check, try to find peace of mind by knowing they will be looking for employment soon enough also. Best part is atleast you get a head start on the search.
lookingaround

Van Nuys, CA

#2 Mar 15, 2012
BS
get a grip

Fruitland Park, FL

#3 Mar 15, 2012
lookingaround wrote:
BS
I agree, too many professional theft rings in retail,gotta keep them out of the stores or at least under control.
wagnbone

San Jose, CA

#5 Mar 15, 2012
idkwag wrote:
Once loss prevention does the dirty work of firing management for petty things to help in the attrition of managers they will be let go. Right after wasson was promoted to CEO, wags went to bentonville ar and hired a bunch if their execs. We are rapidly falling into line with Walmart structure. Not long ago Walmart got rid of their LP supervisors. Left it up to store managers to find internal theft, and HR to handle employee relations. Wags will be doing the same with our LP supervisors. So if you get terminated by LP for something silly like missing a bag check, try to find peace of mind by knowing they will be looking for employment soon enough also. Best part is atleast you get a head start on the search.
fact, walgreens LP does not have the authority to fire anyone.
visitedbyLP

Independence, MO

#6 Mar 15, 2012
While spending time in the office with LP, they left and said they called someone who didn't answer, left a message, and I would be suspended until "they" reached a decision. Who did they call and who makes the decision while you are on suspension? Just curious.
visitedbyLP

Independence, MO

#7 Mar 15, 2012
Also, I know someone who was accused of stealing a soda (at another store not W), they took a drink before paying for it. And they were taken to jail and had to bail out, they said that in order to be fired by a company for stealing (petty theft) the store has to have you arrested. Has anyone gotten that far in the LP visit or do you get suspended and written up?
Geraldo

Houston, TX

#8 Mar 15, 2012
visitedbyLP wrote:
Also, I know someone who was accused of stealing a soda (at another store not W), they took a drink before paying for it. And they were taken to jail and had to bail out, they said that in order to be fired by a company for stealing (petty theft) the store has to have you arrested. Has anyone gotten that far in the LP visit or do you get suspended and written up?
They were taken to jail??? Most cops don't bother with that unless it's over a certain amount. For a soda??? If they were taken to jail then more than likely LP interviewed this person (with the soda incident being the incident that LP started with) and they came up with a lot more on this person. The store DOES NOT have to have you arrested before firing you. I've experienced many LP issues of this nature in my years at WAG.
LPS

Fate, TX

#9 Mar 15, 2012
LPS are instructed to get voluntary statements that will hold up in a court of law. They WILL use scare tactics to get you to write what they "advise" you write. We are just doung our jobs. We can terminate but it MUST go through ER .
Geraldo

Houston, TX

#10 Mar 15, 2012
LPS wrote:
LPS are instructed to get voluntary statements that will hold up in a court of law. They WILL use scare tactics to get you to write what they "advise" you write. We are just doung our jobs. We can terminate but it MUST go through ER .
YOU can terminate? I thought it was up to the SM and/or the DM. But if they didn't fire someone, but it was very much warranted, then they would have "a lot of explaining to do".
visitedbyLP

Independence, MO

#11 Mar 15, 2012
Geraldo wrote:
<quoted text>
They were taken to jail??? Most cops don't bother with that unless it's over a certain amount. For a soda??? If they were taken to jail then more than likely LP interviewed this person (with the soda incident being the incident that LP started with) and they came up with a lot more on this person. The store DOES NOT have to have you arrested before firing you. I've experienced many LP issues of this nature in my years at WAG.
Nope in this incident, the husband who bailed the person out, was the one who told me this. She wouldn't admit to it and they had her arrested. Just for the soda!
visitedbyLP

Independence, MO

#12 Mar 15, 2012
LPS wrote:
That must have been who they called then. I just found it odd that the determination wasn't made at the moment. Due to personal reasons I didn't wait it out, but I know someone else who did and it took three weeks on suspension to get an answer (I found that out later).
LPS

Fate, TX

#13 Mar 15, 2012
We dont need an admission of theft to arrest/terminate, just physical evidence. Ie: surveilance footage
Geraldo

Houston, TX

#14 Mar 15, 2012
visitedbyLP wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope in this incident, the husband who bailed the person out, was the one who told me this. She wouldn't admit to it and they had her arrested. Just for the soda!
Like the saying goes, "the grass in not always greener". At least in the case of Walgreens I've never heard of an incident where a person was arrested for a soda or a muffin, etc... In the areas that I have worked the police try to the utmost to NOT arrest someone on something like this. It's not worth their time. So the store in question (not W) must have pressed the issue.
Geraldo

Houston, TX

#15 Mar 15, 2012
LPS wrote:
We dont need an admission of theft to arrest/terminate, just physical evidence. Ie: surveilance footage
but I do know that if you don't have the evidence (i.e. video) you try to get an admission of theft by saying you do have the proof and for the suspect to "make it easier on themselves by admitting to it".
pop

East Northport, NY

#16 Mar 15, 2012
what a JOKE these people are. overpaid security guards, fire them all we dont need them for a damn thing, oh lock this up, lock that up haha that my job
visitedbyLP

Independence, MO

#17 Mar 15, 2012
Geraldo wrote:
<quoted text>
but I do know that if you don't have the evidence (i.e. video) you try to get an admission of theft by saying you do have the proof and for the suspect to "make it easier on themselves by admitting to it".
I know thats fact. They obviously didn't know me as well as I do and most of the "details" from the incident were pure red flags for me that this was indeed a fishing trip. I was ready to leave anyway and this just helped me to realize that my priorities were in the wrong order.
pop

East Northport, NY

#18 Mar 16, 2012
fact, they have no authority at all and do not manage/supervise anyone. they can not fire, or even recommend anything.
waste of payroll fire them all now thank you.
LPS

United States

#19 Mar 16, 2012
My boss/Dm has instructed me to "coach" the voluntary statement writer so we have them signing a legally binding agreement, however you will never get a sm lps or dm to admit that!

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#21 Mar 16, 2012
Geraldo wrote:
<quoted text>
Like the saying goes, "the grass in not always greener". At least in the case of Walgreens I've never heard of an incident where a person was arrested for a soda or a muffin, etc... In the areas that I have worked the police try to the utmost to NOT arrest someone on something like this. It's not worth their time. So the store in question (not W) must have pressed the issue.
I've heard of an overnight manager being fired by the DM right there on the spot for having a soda that they were going to pay for later when the DM popped in at 2AM for whatever reason. But this was way back before all the pussy-footing with having to beg ER to let you fire someone before you could pull the trigger.
wagandme

Houston, TX

#22 Mar 16, 2012
wiggitywags wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard of an overnight manager being fired by the DM right there on the spot for having a soda that they were going to pay for later when the DM popped in at 2AM for whatever reason. But this was way back before all the pussy-footing with having to beg ER to let you fire someone before you could pull the trigger.
This sort of reminds me of an incident way back when. An employee came to buy a pen or something. I was doing some filling. She came up to me and asked what the price was on the item. I said it was something like $2.79. She went to the cosm counter and told the cashier. Mr. XXX said it was suppose to be $1.39 (or something). After the BA rang up the girl, she went looking for the mylar in question and asked me about it. We both found out that she had lied to the BA. The girl was in the store and I fired her on the spot. I was an EXA. My SM was on vacation. A day or so later my DM called me and thanked me for taking care of it. He also told me that LP wanted to interview her but he said, "I'm glad you did what you did 'cause that would have been a waste of time". This was my all time favorite DM --- George Page of San Antonio. A real cool guy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
digital coupons 44 min SCMGR 6
MGR’s being forced to work full days on weekend... 58 min SCMGR 18
ASM-T math worksheets 1 hr Zombie-notZombie 4
New Store Format Coming Soon 1 hr -asm- 17
Walgreens HRA Contribution? 5 hr Rxfam 1
Finally some GOOD news for store level employees 6 hr Hollywood 11
uniforms (Feb '10) 6 hr Danny 31
Unbelievable. This is the final straw. 13 hr AzMgr 5
Manager Starting Rates Dropped $5,000 20 hr Straxxton 29
More from around the web