Pharmacy Tech at Walgreens

Posted in the Walgreens Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hs student

Mexico, MO

#1 Dec 23, 2012
I just got hired as a Pharmacy Tech at Walgreens and I've only got a few PPLs finished. I'm a senior in HS. Is being a pharmacy tech hard? What do you do? Do you like your job? Do you need to know every SIG and generic drug by heart?
idoallthephotost uff

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Dec 23, 2012
hs student wrote:
I just got hired as a Pharmacy Tech at Walgreens and I've only got a few PPLs finished. I'm a senior in HS. Is being a pharmacy tech hard? What do you do? Do you like your job? Do you need to know every SIG and generic drug by heart?
Not hard, it's just a lot to remember, and a lot of the job becomes problem solving with insurance at a certain point (depends on your pharmacy.)

You will mostly be taking in prescriptions, filling pills, ringing people up, and once you're more experienced, you will deal with insurances and calling doctors offices.

I'm just a DH so I couldn't say for certain if pharmacy is that great. I imagine that at the very least, the day goes by a hell of a lot quicker.

Yes/no, if you wanna be good at your job you're gonna wanna learn, but obviously when you're first starting out you can't be expected to know. You will be continuously training in RX for a very long time before you feel comfortable.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#3 Dec 24, 2012
hs student wrote:
If your pharmacy is anything like ours I would learn all you can and start looking for a new job. Complete hellhole
Dood

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#4 Dec 24, 2012
2 dope wrote:
<quoted text>
If your pharmacy is anything like ours I would learn all you can and start looking for a new job. Complete hellhole
He's in high school. This job will be fine for the time being. Hell, I'm in college and this is still an ok job (though there's many, many things I hate.) Now, if he were a lifer, or making this his career, then I would tell him to get the hell out of dodge.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#5 Dec 24, 2012
It is very simple, you just memorize a bunch of flash cards..you only have to get a 75% to pass the test....which is ridiclous and then you get a ceticate that says you can eat baked good behind the counter with the other lazy, we are never open the same hours or during holidays like the rest of the store employees.
WAG this

Marion, IN

#6 Dec 24, 2012
RickyFlair wrote:
It is very simple, you just memorize a bunch of flash cards..you only have to get a 75% to pass the test....which is ridiclous and then you get a ceticate that says you can eat baked good behind the counter with the other lazy, we are never open the same hours or during holidays like the rest of the store employees.
If only it were that easy, you could do it too.

Location hidden

#7 Dec 24, 2012
WAG this wrote:
<quoted text>
If only it were that easy, you could do it too.
Truth hurt?.....because it IS that easy....the test is a joke.
RXM

Hartford, SD

#8 Dec 24, 2012
RickyFlair wrote:
<quoted text>
The technician test has very little to do with the job, so I'm not sure why you are so focused on that.

Location hidden

#9 Dec 25, 2012
I don't think that the PPLs with the sigs and drug names are very helpful when you are just starting out. They seemed a little overwhelming to me at the time.

My suggestion - if you want it - is to just finish those specific PPLs any way you can and then learn the most commonly used sigs and most common brand/generics in your pharmacy as you go along. I would suggest learning the brand and generics for the C2s if you have to look them up frequently to see if they are in stock.

As to the technician test, there seems to be a new focus on having people commit to taking and passing the test after a year or so on the job. They were cutting training classes in my district so some of us did not get to go to the training at all.

I don't know if things have changed in my district or if things are the same in other districts.

Location hidden

#10 Dec 26, 2012
RXM wrote:
<quoted text>
The technician test has very little to do with the job, so I'm not sure why you are so focused on that.
Thus my point...you answered your own question...so if the test has littte to do with the job....then how qualified are you really then?
Altec Lansing

San Antonio, TX

#11 Dec 26, 2012
RXM wrote:
<quoted text>
which is why SMs and EXAs who pass the test with flying colors are often clueless when they go into the pharmacy
WassonsCrapHole

Sacramento, CA

#12 Dec 26, 2012
Altec Lansing wrote:
<quoted text>
which is why SMs and EXAs who pass the test with flying colors are often clueless when they go into the pharmacy
we hardly get noticed for our pharmacy competence. mostly on ss numbers. which is why we do the minimum in the rx to just get by.

now if you'd hire some hot young interns I'm be in there all day! but no, we get some fat slobs out some foreign dudes.
WAG this

Marion, IN

#13 Dec 26, 2012
RickyFlair wrote:
<quoted text>Truth hurt?.....because it IS that easy....the test is a joke.
Why would the truth hurt me? I'm not a tech. Then again, to do your job, Walgreens could just hand me a key and tell me to babysit the joint. Oh, and to complain. I'd have to learn to complain to be just like you.

Location hidden

#14 Dec 27, 2012
WAG this wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would the truth hurt me? I'm not a tech. Then again, to do your job, Walgreens could just hand me a key and tell me to babysit the joint. Oh, and to complain. I'd have to learn to complain to be just like you.
No one is complaining troll.......simply explaining a fact about the test is not a complaint....but then again you are probably the typical corporate shill.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#15 Dec 27, 2012
RickyFlair wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah it's true. I've been PTCB and state certified for years. Put me in the Pharmacy and I'm almost like a new hire. The state cert is just a way for the state to get more money.

Don't look at it as a career if anyone is thinking of that. You'll be on the chopping block next as WAG desperately needs ways to increase profits / cut costs. Those promised increasing dividends to stockholders need to get paid somehow!
ThrobbingWag

Seymour, TN

#16 Dec 27, 2012
Pharmacy sucks ass. It's way too f_ucking busy and always understaffed. It should be illegal to have a pharmacy understaffed; too many lives on the line, and the simplest mistake could kill someone.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#18 Dec 28, 2012
I don't think pharmacy is too busy. I think they've been babied for far too long and now theyre just starting to be pressured into working at a faster pace. Of course, the front picks up some of the slack by helping out. Still, it's a step in the right direction. Crank them damn scripts out! I can verify I have the right pill myself- it's called "THE MOTHERF**KING INTERNET"! OH YEAH
Mary Bell

Scottsdale, AZ

#20 Feb 5, 2013
It can be worth the stint in high school if you're thinking of studying towards a healthcare career in college (more specifically towards a pharmacy program). Of course, not all pharmacists end up behind the counter in retail stores, but it's worth getting a glimpse into the heavy retail side of the pharma industry. If you're looking for training before getting hired as a pharm tech, you can know more here.
http://[www.careerstep.com/pha rmacy-technician-training]
datgovernment

Hollywood, FL

#21 Feb 8, 2013
You are such a tool. Seriously, troll or not.
Welcome2Walgreen s

Indianapolis, IN

#23 Apr 11, 2013
It is INSANE the way the Pharmacy has to produce like a McDonald's Take out Line. Should be Illegal I agree! It feels like that TV Show Hells Kitchen .

So many issues that should get a second look do not. Customers want to grab and go, not taking responsibility for what they are getting . Hardly read the labels.

We need to get back to a few basics!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Overtime law for salaried workers. 6 min MrWaggy 7
two week notice and acquired pto 1 hr moving on 1
Walgreens music playlist from 2011 to the present (Apr '12) 2 hr Amanda11 1,964
Insurance Cost? 4 hr Laurag 3
Saying goodbye to Walgreens.... 10 hr willingfullymotiv... 20
boots pay vs walgreens pay 19 hr Ohnopeople 8
What are the times for Walgreen Store night shift? (Jun '11) 22 hr Sengalong 15
Collapse Wed Gloomy Gus 51
Store closings Jun 24 CaliASM 41
More from around the web