The first impact of SFL restructuring

The first impact of SFL restructuring

Posted in the Walgreens Forum

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#1 Mar 26, 2012
Well so far the new SFL yearly Gross wage will be around 23k to 30k depending on if you are placed at the 11.50 or the 14.50 wage per hour and able to work your full 40 hours a week.

On average everyone being forced into this position is taking between a 5k to 8k Paycut, crippling families and many are now looking for new jobs or second jobs.

For those of you who say it isn't effecting you yet and you have time, I say start looking now if you plan to leave and if not then adjust your budgets now so the pay reduction doesn't shock you.

This new position is placed as a lower class income, in the next few months the Overnight MGTs forced to take the cut, "forced by life situations and such," will be the first to have their pay reduced. Considering rising gas, food, utilities, general needs, this is going to hurt every individual. Some will now qualify for food stamps "depending on family size and situation" while others will lose their homes, cars, and who knows what else through no fault of their own.

Cutting wages, rising prices, promoting more class warfare...

Walgreens... there's a way to Suffering ... apply online.
Mickey

Springhill, LA

#2 Mar 26, 2012
Vieux-Carre wrote:
Well so far the new SFL yearly Gross wage will be around 23k to 30k depending on if you are placed at the 11.50 or the 14.50 wage per hour and able to work your full 40 hours a week.
On average everyone being forced into this position is taking between a 5k to 8k Paycut, crippling families and many are now looking for new jobs or second jobs.
For those of you who say it isn't effecting you yet and you have time, I say start looking now if you plan to leave and if not then adjust your budgets now so the pay reduction doesn't shock you.
This new position is placed as a lower class income, in the next few months the Overnight MGTs forced to take the cut, "forced by life situations and such," will be the first to have their pay reduced. Considering rising gas, food, utilities, general needs, this is going to hurt every individual. Some will now qualify for food stamps "depending on family size and situation" while others will lose their homes, cars, and who knows what else through no fault of their own.
Cutting wages, rising prices, promoting more class warfare...
Walgreens... there's a way to Suffering ... apply online.
You seem like a classy lady. Why don't you try to get out of this shit hole? I don't know what part of N.O. You are in but I know some of these areas are really crazy! Are you a single parent and/or have you completed college? Either or you may qualify for a grant that will pay for your education. Please don't let them bully you! Btw I get why working strictly overnights works for you, especially with kids. Is there something else you can do so your peeps don't have to move and also have to attend new schools?
Mickey

Springhill, LA

#3 Mar 26, 2012
Been thinking about your situation a little more, that junk off of store net said that overnight mgts had to make a decision within 12 months. Why is your district manager forcing you to step down already? Help me understand this, as I am a Louisiana native/resident as well.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#4 Mar 26, 2012
Mickey wrote:
Been thinking about your situation a little more, that junk off of store net said that overnight mgts had to make a decision within 12 months. Why is your district manager forcing you to step down already? Help me understand this, as I am a Louisiana native/resident as well.
Overnights in several districts only had a little over a week to decide. Ambitious DMs/MVPs are responsible for this.
Mickey

United States

#5 Mar 26, 2012
AnonymousWAG wrote:
<quoted text>Overnights in several districts only had a little over a week to decide. Ambitious DMs/MVPs are responsible for this.
Ok so within the same market some districts are more quick to move this along than others. According to storenet we are told a year to apply for asmt or asm position. What's to say my district (moving slower with the transition) will not speed up the process whenever they feel like it? Why is there no consistency within the markets and Walgreens as a company? I'm afraid that it's up to each dms discretion when they speed up the process. Do we have a legal right to say we are allowed so much time to think and then react to what we will do?

Location hidden

#6 Mar 26, 2012
The way it was put to the overnight MGTs is that overnights are transforming over first being that there are less stores that are 24hr so if an MGT walks out there will still be coverage "most 24hr stores have EXA's to cover while lining up a new hire at $11.50 or a promotion from within to the $11.50 rate. After all overnight shifts are covered with the new position then stores one at a time throughout districts will covert. Doing it this way "as the DM dictates" will avoid mass walkouts, avoid media, and provide the smoothest transission able to be had when screwing over so many.

The SMs also have been told by the DM "per my SM slipping when we were arguing" that they need to play up the availability of the ASM-T position so that the MGTs on days will think they truely have a chance, even though most CLs already have an idea of who they are getting or want for this position. Any MGT who refuses the SFL position in hopes of getting ASM-T will be let go from the company if they fail to get one of the VERY limited positions.
Considering SFLs can also apply for the ASM-T position when it comes available it is safer to drop from mgt to being SFL when you are told to instead of fighting and potentialy just being out right replaced and having no job.
Altec Lansing

United States

#7 Mar 26, 2012
Vieux-Carre wrote:
The way it was put to the overnight MGTs is that overnights are transforming over first being that there are less stores that are 24hr so if an MGT walks out there will still be coverage "most 24hr stores have EXA's to cover while lining up a new hire at $11.50 or a promotion from within to the $11.50 rate. After all overnight shifts are covered with the new position then stores one at a time throughout districts will covert. Doing it this way "as the DM dictates" will avoid mass walkouts, avoid media, and provide the smoothest transission able to be had when screwing over so many.
The SMs also have been told by the DM "per my SM slipping when we were arguing" that they need to play up the availability of the ASM-T position so that the MGTs on days will think they truely have a chance, even though most CLs already have an idea of who they are getting or want for this position. Any MGT who refuses the SFL position in hopes of getting ASM-T will be let go from the company if they fail to get one of the VERY limited positions.
Considering SFLs can also apply for the ASM-T position when it comes available it is safer to drop from mgt to being SFL when you are told to instead of fighting and potentialy just being out right replaced and having no job.
The first hurdle that WAG is now having to jump is to have enough qualified employees or are able and willing to take over the 3rd shifts. Just as could be predicted, in my area alone (3 districts), there are 9 stores needing 1 or more employees to go to the SFL position (and a good number of these stores need 2). Only 1 store is fully staffed. They may be forced to lower their standards (no more 2.7 for an STL and 4.0 for a clerk) in order to have a prayer of reaching their goal. And even that is very "ifffy". When my SM put up the notice on the wall for these positions he was laughing his butt off.
Geraldo

United States

#8 Mar 26, 2012
As was posted on Mark's Blog -- "what if they created a position that no one wanted".

Location hidden

#9 Mar 26, 2012
Considering the responsibilitys the ovenrnight SFL is to have while being cut off at the ankles with no actual athority to make decisions without calling the SM first "Or they get written up" I'm ammazed they have as many as you say. Most of the MGT's in my district have opted to go days and hold to their dream of being promoted or at least holding to their pay till they find new jobs.$11.50 starting pay and $14.50 max cap with NO chances of a raise...
Most people unless they have reasons for staying overnights "like myself" wouldn't take that and would consider it an insult. Overnights might not "manage" like days do but we also go through alot more and suffer more for it, little to no sleep on our work weeks, stress of being awake when the natural body cycle says to sleep, drunks, drug addicts, higher rate of armed robbery, any customers normaly are truely ill and half the time puke on the floors when just released from the hospitals, normaly one other crew member which lowers security and raises risk, manditory to get all the work done that days would have no chance doing even with full crew due to customers "24hr stores are not like Non-24hr MUCH higher customer count"
Without an extreamly good reason to stay nights every night manager is jumping ship or going days. For those stuck with having to take the crap pay... well I hope days picks up some more weight while being cut also because I'll be even more exausted working a second job, "once I find one," just to make ends meet.
upsidedownhorses hoe

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Mar 27, 2012
Well I am a overnighter who didn't step down. So I have been informed that I am being transfer to a ghetto store in a High Crime area. Unreal going from the 20th closest store to the 66th closest store. I will be driving 120 more miles a week. This company sucks! I am going to have to call in sick to save money. Sad but true.

Location hidden

#11 Mar 27, 2012
upsidedownhorseshoe wrote:
Well I am a overnighter who didn't step down. So I have been informed that I am being transfer to a ghetto store in a High Crime area. Unreal going from the 20th closest store to the 66th closest store. I will be driving 120 more miles a week. This company sucks! I am going to have to call in sick to save money. Sad but true.
The rising gas prices are going to bite you hard :( I have to agree though I drive past three other 24hr stores to get to mine and it takes me little more than fourty minutes to get to work more on weekends with trafic. Also calling in sick might not save you money due to the fact that our hours are still based off of a 5 day work week not 4 day so even at max hours you will take home only 8 hours worth of pay when you call in sick.
Billysh

United States

#12 Mar 27, 2012
Vieux-Carre wrote:
<quoted text>
The rising gas prices are going to bite you hard :( I have to agree though I drive past three other 24hr stores to get to mine and it takes me little more than fourty minutes to get to work more on weekends with trafic. Also calling in sick might not save you money due to the fact that our hours are still based off of a 5 day work week not 4 day so even at max hours you will take home only 8 hours worth of pay when you call in sick.
upsidedown is an overnighter who didn't take the step down so therefore they are going to a day slot.

Location hidden

#13 Mar 27, 2012
Billysh wrote:
<quoted text>
upsidedown is an overnighter who didn't take the step down so therefore they are going to a day slot.
Realised that after typing but regardless eventualy Upsidedown will be forced into this new position and pay scale "If he doesn't get promoted to the few ASM-T positions" and then he'll have the distance he has to drive along with cut wages... unless they just terminate him sense he refused once already to take the cut.
upsidedownhorses hoe

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Mar 27, 2012
Its cool Vieux-Carre, one of the reasons I didn't take the cut now is they refused to pay out my bank vacation at MGT rate. And since I am still sore that I lost money on my bank vac once I said I won't let is happen again. Its nice that I am going to put 6,000 miles more on my car now. 6,000 that is a big number. Oh and not to think i am a sick type of person. I am maxed on my bank sick days, and the best of my memorty is I have taken 1,2,1 and believe 3 the last four years. And I know there are some that have missed no time, but I think as a over nighter I was pretty dependable. I could fill a blog about the person that I replaced and her calling in BS I went through...

Location hidden

#15 Mar 27, 2012
Due to the paycut I've actualy started being devout at doing something my boss is getting angry at me for but it is completely ligit. When on lunch or off the clock I've been going around with my smartphone and compairing prices at walgreens and at other retailers. I take those prices and am finding that even with the employee discount its often less expensive at other places around where I live. Any employee that has been around me knows that if they ask I'll gladly tell them specificly what items are cheaper "with employee discount" to get at walgreens and what NOT to get even if it looks like a great sale.
This has caused a moderate amount of annoyance with my SM considering that ad items "with good deals" seem to be selling out right at the start of the work week leaving the rest of the week for customers to complain to him about not having the items they want. For the Not so good sale items in the past coworkers were purchasing them thinking they were getting a good deal but now the stockroom is slowly building backstock on the items they can get else where for better deals. I take no responsibility for what the other employees say to customers when they learn what are good deals and what aren't but it seems its getting relayed to them.
And hey Wag wanted to promote half the ad by using QR codes so what I'm doing is par for the changing times they are talking about LOL.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can Shift leads be moved now? 1 hr Except 10
How much is in your 401k? 1 hr wagx 27
What kind of review will get you a raise and/or... 2 hr jerkstore 10
24 gone 3 hr Wag this 130
ASM Elimination 2018 9 hr Asm 51
What is your store's compliance rate with keepi... 11 hr wagboy 11
Trashing BTS and Spring/Summer 11 hr wagboy 8
Rite Aid Done Deal Wed SFgiants40 21
More from around the web