fair scheduling?
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
asstmgr

Jackson, TN

#1 Feb 28, 2012
Can anyone tell me if their are guidelines for asst. Mgrs? Why? The staff consists od sm. 1exa. 2 asst. Mgrs and 1 stl but my schedule consists of 7 closings. What to do?
MGT

Louisville, KY

#2 Feb 28, 2012
The best thing you can do is simply tell the store manager you'll be asking for a transfer to a different store because the schedule is interfering with your life. If he/she calls your bluff then go ahead and follow through with it. When you talk to the DM just lie and say you're going back to school or something. It has to be a legit excuse, not just the fact that you're getting screwed.

Don't get all mad about it. Just be very matter of fact. Don't "ask" for a change in schedule. Be assertive and let the manager know that you're moving forward with a transfer.

You don't want to seem like you're whining about the schedule or asking for a favor. When you call, the DM will realize something odd is going on with the scheduling and look into it.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#3 Feb 28, 2012
Whining?...getting screwed? Getting scheduled 7 days in a row to close would not be considered fair and it is not whining as the idiot above me tried to make it out. Salaried members should be picking up a couple nights. Unless someone is on vacation or their is a special need....closing like that is utter bullshit.
MGT

Louisville, KY

#4 Feb 28, 2012
lol you mad joey?

Do what I said and you'll look like the good guy. Go crying to the DM about how you're closing 7 days a week and you will get the reputation for being a weak assistant.

It's not ME saying it's whining, dumbass.

Location hidden

#5 Feb 28, 2012
asstmgr wrote:
Can anyone tell me if their are guidelines for asst. Mgrs? Why? The staff consists od sm. 1exa. 2 asst. Mgrs and 1 stl but my schedule consists of 7 closings. What to do?
In our store on most weeks the SM closes 1 night, EXA 2 nights, MGT 3 nights, and STL 1 night. Everyone gets one weekend off per month unless truck is on Saturday.

If someone goes on vacation the closing nights increase by one.

If I were you, I would complain to the SM. If that does not get you anywhere, complain to the DM or LP. If that does not help either, call the hotline.

Location hidden

#6 Feb 28, 2012
MGT wrote:
lol you mad joey?
Do what I said and you'll look like the good guy. Go crying to the DM about how you're closing 7 days a week and you will get the reputation for being a weak assistant.
It's not ME saying it's whining, dumbass.
]

I understand where you are coming from, MGT, but I think if the OP takes your advice, there is a good chance they will let him (or her) walk. Who knows, maybe he is getting all the closing shifts because they are trying to force him out?

He will more likely get a reputation for being a weak assistant if he cannot close properly, makes mistakes, is slow, does not finish tasks, and things along those lines. He or she is not going to be looked at as a weak assistant if he is standing up for himself.

Just my opinion.
asstmgr

Jackson, TN

#7 Feb 28, 2012
I think I am the best at closing. Money and balancing and the store looking awesome....but should I be punished for that?.well if they are trying to push me out. That's not going to happen. Although I have thought about it...they claim they. Have school, small kids at home. I am a single mom with a 17 yr old still at home. They can't wirk certain nights because they want to play basketball with church.... I have talked to the store mgr and nothing changed..........I don't want to be classified as the whinner but hell I got reasons toi whine. This 7 on and 2 off schedule sucks! And all damn nights at that!

Location hidden

#8 Feb 29, 2012
mikey cohen wrote:
<quoted text>]
I understand where you are coming from, MGT, but I think if the OP takes your advice, there is a good chance they will let him (or her) walk. Who knows, maybe he is getting all the closing shifts because they are trying to force him out?
He will more likely get a reputation for being a weak assistant if he cannot close properly, makes mistakes, is slow, does not finish tasks, and things along those lines. He or she is not going to be looked at as a weak assistant if he is standing up for himself.
Just my opinion.
Exactly..........
Cosmetician

Ft Mitchell, KY

#9 Mar 28, 2013
I feel you all. I have been with Walgreens for 7yrs and we get a new person 3 months she has been here has been getting Sundays off. Found out from her she doesn't work her other job on Sundays either. but I have to beg for a weekend off. I have to fit for a vacation even though we have help. Plus person doesn't being in a printed schedule from her other part time job and claims a week ago she is now no longer available saturday nights so my morning shift weekends are getting taken away from me.
I'm working 11-9 on the weekends I can't even go to church now :(
I have talked to them but of course why would they care=management my store manager doesn't care. We don't have an Exa and the one who is doing the schedules have only been doing them for 2 weeks now and he's not doing good with them.

2 people who aren't even management Sims and Bookeeper for the past month keep saying I shouldn't be allowed to have this vacation because it falls on Easter. I put in for this back In Sept 2012 it got approved . Plus it's on the schedule.
It's insane and they don't gripe about anyone else taking vacation but when I take one or god forbid I have a day off they wig out.

I just don't understand it :(
It's frustrating.
smammy

Keller, TX

#10 Mar 28, 2013
What I m getting tired of is this "reputation of being weak" label. I am an exa and I hear it constantly. Who cares. Live your life and make sure you are treated fairly. Truth be known, the vast majority of us are not getting promotion. So why break our backs? I mean, work hard, do your time. Treat customers well. But dont bend over and take it in the backside.
Former exa

Clermont, FL

#11 Mar 28, 2013
Stop complaining and walk away find a new job like I did just do it,I had a game plan do you have one,I don't think so.
snd

Dallas, TX

#12 Mar 28, 2013
Fair schedule guidelines are the same for managers and employees. Its on storenet, type in fair schedule guidelines on search bar, stores don't follow it completely but you shouldn't be closing 7 days a week.
WackyWag

Harrison, AR

#13 Apr 18, 2013
Fair scheduling can be overridden so it's kind of a mute point.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#14 Apr 18, 2013
agreed
ASM

Park Ridge, IL

#15 Apr 18, 2013
Not adhering to fair scheduling can cost the manager their job. Even though it can be overridden, unless the DM authorizes it the manager is taking a huge risk.
haplesswag

United States

#16 Apr 18, 2013
MGT wrote:
The best thing you can do is simply tell the store manager you'll be asking for a transfer to a different store because the schedule is interfering with your life. If he/she calls your bluff then go ahead and follow through with it. When you talk to the DM just lie and say you're going back to school or something. It has to be a legit excuse, not just the fact that you're getting screwed.
Don't get all mad about it. Just be very matter of fact. Don't "ask" for a change in schedule. Be assertive and let the manager know that you're moving forward with a transfer.
You don't want to seem like you're whining about the schedule or asking for a favor. When you call, the DM will realize something odd is going on with the scheduling and look into it.
Thank you for this candid post! I am debating to switch to another store and this just gave me the courage.:)

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#17 Apr 19, 2013
There is a "fair scheduling" policy.....but a lot of times it is not followed.....I can see all the points made thus far.....

My HPS is a HUGE slacker, gets absolutely nothing done, can not multi task to save their life......but he finds it necessary to request(AND GET APPROVED) for every other weekend off.......but yet if I request off the world is going to come to an end because the cry baby doesn't get their weekend off.......go figure.

Also one co-worker doesn't work nights at all because they recently whined to the SM and told them they'd work every weekend.......now keep in mind my SM works every other and sometimes every Saturday and one night a week. Is that fair? IMO no it is not.

Another co-worker doesn't work nights at all and no weekends but yet when the schedule goes up they are scheduled on Saturdays some......this person works whenever they want and nothing is said or done about it.

Weekends and nights are part of working at Walgreens, unfortunately. It is what it is........
It's a shame that in a lot of cases whoever is doing the schedule finds it necessary to give their favorites the better hours.......About the only thing I can suggest is use the scheduling feature and just request the times you want off.......We all have a life outside of Walgreens and I think sometimes that is forgotten.......
mmhae

Cottage Grove, WI

#18 Apr 19, 2013
Constant battle, it is not fair and no one should be stuck with all the nights and weekends. It should be shared evenly and if someone is sticking someone else with the nights/weekends SHAME on them. Speak up and let it be known that you will not continue to accept that schedule. You have a family also, shouldn't matter if you did anyway. Either they make it fair or you will be looking for a different job. Then get the resume out, dust it off and go out and find it. There are other companies out there. You might have to look and it may be a pain but I highly recommend it. You should be treated as a person not a slave.

“The Papers said I was Truant”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#19 Apr 19, 2013
haplesswag wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for this candid post! I am debating to switch to another store and this just gave me the courage.:)
You have to be careful if following that advice though. I'm not sure if it was Walgreens, but I remember hearing a story about an employee who was fired because some lie that he had told *years before* was found out. With the bs 4-way test, and "Is it the truth?" being one of them, I would hate to see that happen to someone else, even if it was a tiny lie brought about because of wanting more fair scheduling.
Say What

Yonkers, NY

#20 Apr 20, 2013
Each full-time employee's schedule must contain ONE of the following:
+One Saturday shift or one Sunday shift or
+At least 3 hours anytime between 6pm and 12am or
+At least 3 hours for a shift that starts between 6pm and 12am or
+At least 3 hours for a shift during the last 4 hours before closing.

This will change depending if employees are needed to cover vacations/time off, etc..

Just because you ask for a transfer, it does not mean you will get it. You never know how other stores are run. You may not get the schedule you want at a new store either-especially being new to that store.

Talk to your SM, point out the fair scheduling guideline,(remember, these are just guidelines, and not set in stone) and if that doesn't work, just request off your days in the system and when you want to work mornings.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Store Format Coming Soon 4 hr Enter username 8
ATS question 5 hr jerkstore 6
Floater Pharmacist policy 5 hr jerkstore 7
Setting Christmas aisle by myself? 5 hr jerkstore 10
When did he when did it come on 6 hr Dumas is stupid 8
hiring freeze? (Aug '10) 13 hr Lettie 7
Retiree medical benefits (Jun '09) 13 hr Lettie 2
Customer did something bad 14 hr Dumas 17
25,000 points for Holidays! 17 hr workerbee 10
Profit sharing / 401K 2018 changes ( it's good ... Mon Julie A 19