ADSM Application Questions?

ADSM Application Questions?

Posted in the Walgreens Forum

WaGMGT

United States

#1 Jan 13, 2010
I have been told by many of my other assistants and one of my previous store managers that I should apply for the upcoming ADSM classes.

On my last performance review I received meets or exceeds expectations in every area, but I don't feel like I've made the impact the application is looking for.

For example, two questions on the application intrigue me:

"What are your primary job responsibilities?"

I do the tasks that an MGT should be doing, and I feel I do them well. Should I list out the major tasks of being an MGT, or are they looking for items more at the EXA level that I am currently completing?

"What do you feel are your accomplishments?"

It's not as if there are awards given out for being a good MGT. I'm not sure exactly how to word a response to this in a way that explains how well I've done since starting as an MGT.

In addition, the application asks how often I review the following reports:

Buy card, comparative volume, script count, manager's workbench, SIMS, etc...

Some of these I review often, some occasionally, some rarely if at all.

Is this something I should be doing at my level? It seems as if I were reviewing these reports my store manager would raise an eyebrow wondering what my purpose was behind it.

If I am not ready for ADSM, I am fine with waiting another year, but i'd like to know what deficiencies I have to improve myself not only as a candidate, but also as an employee.
Shermy

United States

#2 Jan 13, 2010
As far as primary job responsibilities thatís pretty much your job description as an MGT. As far as accomplishments maybe you should check on those areas where your manager rated you ďabove averageĒ. What areas of the store do you seem to delve into in terms of problem solving? Is it customer complaints (helping to get the customer that hard to find product from other stores), helping resolve problems/questions in the photo lab Ė even if itís just jumping in on a regular basis to help out when the department is inundated, helping out with SIMC related responsibilities, etc... What a DM wants to know is if you go above and beyond just your job related everyday duties. If you are in your first year itís pretty hard to do that. Youíre just learning the ropes. But after your first year you should start to be able to excel in some areas. This is where a good store manager comes in. A good store manager will help you and coach you to become a better Assistant Manager in terms of knowledge and increasing your responsibilities. Unfortunately there are too many store managers that donít give a crap about helping and training their MGTs.

As far as those reports are concerned. Yes, by all means, look at those reports at least on a weekly basis. One of the favorite questions for a V.P. to an EXA (and sometimes MGTs) on store visits is what are your inventory levels Ė whatís your buy card figure. Those reports that you listed are literally at your fingertips. You are authorized to look at them and more importantly YOU ARE EXPECTED to look at them. It shows that you have interest in your store as far as its economic health is concerned. Think of yourself as a nurse who is taking the vitals of the storeís condition. Better yet, also go to the employee.walgreens.com page and check out the Walgreens news and while your at it check out the business news areas on the internet of such web sites such as CNN. If a store manager would discourage you from looking at these reports (and I can't think of one I've worked for that would) then that store manager shouldn't be a store manager much less working for Walgreens.

Speaking of buy cards, when looking at the current buy card -- or the previous month's -- look at last year's buy card figure for that same month. You will get a good feel of your store's progress in terms of inventory control (you're comparing apples to apples). My store last year had a buy card of over $400,000. Now it's just above $300,000 largely due to CCR.

If you do apply for ADSM and have an interview with the DM KNOW those figures on those reports.

Now,if you feel that you haven't made an impact then I would wait a year and develop that impact.
somewhere__exa

Bristol, RI

#3 Jan 14, 2010
Just some advice...
-write on the application that you are familiar with everything even if you are not.
-then spend the time to learn everything, things are very competative now with promotions so you will have to distinguish yourself. You may not think it is the right thing to do but with DM's getting 30 apps for 5 or 6 positions, if he or she sees you are not familiar with something and someone else is, the DM will just pass you over.
-make sure your store manager loves you, do anything they ask, including changing your schedule, and laugh at there jokes even if not funny...
-a big part of getting promoted is in the MGR going to bat for you

Just my 2 cents
WaGMGT

United States

#4 Jan 21, 2010
Are the comparative volume reports just the KPIs comparing sales figures from a year ago/sales relative to other stores in the district?

Script count is number of Rxs sold?

Manager's workbench includes the rest of the KPI's, correct?

As far as SIMS reports are we talking about ad outs? It seems most reports in the SIMS system were eliminated with the SmartCount program.

As far as going above and beyond where "accomplishments" are concerned, what are some examples of things you have seen your MGTs do (or have done yourselves)?

Unfortunately, my store manager has not been the ideal leader in the sense of coaching me along. I still feel I can improve despite this setback.
Wag Exa

Lakeland, FL

#5 Jan 25, 2010
I hope you have a Bachelor's Degree, for the past two years only applicants with education were promoted. The company is looking for the "I love me paper." At least that's the way it is here, I'm sure the company is going in this direction.
wagger

Delavan, WI

#6 Jan 26, 2010
Wag Exa wrote:
I hope you have a Bachelor's Degree, for the past two years only applicants with education were promoted. The company is looking for the "I love me paper." At least that's the way it is here, I'm sure the company is going in this direction.
Not necessarily true. While I'm sure having a degree helps, I know one MGT in our district got promoted last year who is still going to school part time to obtain her degree.

I have a feeling the degree thing is what will continue to hold me back
Wag Exa

Lakeland, FL

#7 Jan 27, 2010
You said the key word, they are going to school. If you show your DM you are trying to achieve your degree, and depending on other circumstances, their is a good chance to get it; however, your going to need it for a store management position. That's why it's important to have one for EXA or show a your DM there is no doubt you will have it in a couple of years.
WaGMGT

United States

#8 Jan 29, 2010
Yes, I have a BA in Business Admin.
WaGMGT

Ithaca, NY

#9 Feb 5, 2010
Any answers for #4?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fate of pharmacist 1 hr wagx 1
Wic for large Walgreens bags 2 hr Pat1996 1
Can Shift leads be moved now? 4 hr Except 10
How much is in your 401k? 4 hr wagx 27
What kind of review will get you a raise and/or... 5 hr jerkstore 10
24 gone 6 hr Wag this 130
ASM Elimination 2018 12 hr Asm 51
Rite Aid Done Deal Wed SFgiants40 21
More from around the web