You get that call pleading for you to...

You get that call pleading for you to cover for someone again

Posted in the Walgreens Forum

Gettingcalledin

Chicago, IL

#1 Dec 28, 2012
Normally you take the shift to help out if you can. Sometimes you can't. Doctor appointment, whatever. Sometimes you offer to cover half the shift just to help and they are happy you do.
Take a hit for the team. No problem.
This time the call comes in and you really don't have a reason that prevents you from coming in. You wanted to spend it painting your kitchen. You bought all the materials, have helping hands and the time to actually pull it all off. But, that call comes in. So and so is sick again. Legit sick, she has a terminal illness. You have done this again and again but for some reason- you just don't feel like putting off your life to cover this time.
You say you can't do it. They tell you they tried everyone else before they called you and they really need you this time.
You want to paint your kitchen because you haven't felt like having company over to see how bad your kitchen looks. I'm not talking about outdated. I am talking about a real eyesore. Things get busy, life happens and lack of money to do something about it really makes it prohibitive for much longer than what is desireable. I am a widow and trying to do this myself. I have a child and want him to have playdates with his friends but feel like until this is done, it would be horrifying for anyone to be a witness to the kitchen. It's going to be a lot of work. I have plaster falling down from the ceiling. Thankfully, a friend who can do this scheduled his day off work to fit with mine so we can go to town on this thing. I am paying him cash (200 for a half day) and giving him one of my snowblowers (only a year old) that is really good but I got a new one for Christmas so I do not need it now.
Here's the problem. I still feel guilty about this, and have to decide what to do if they do call me to come in tomorrow. I have a feeling they will. She went home early today.
What is your opinion?

A) Tell them you can't come in because you have made plans that can not be broken
B) Tell them you will work for half the shift, but no more.
C) Forget the painting and plaster work and hope for another day to get it done and help out for the whole shift.
Wife

Metairie, LA

#2 Dec 28, 2012
Turn off your phone.
COSMIC MARGE

New York, NY

#3 Dec 28, 2012
I know how you feel I was the person that changed plans , came in to work everytime that someone called off , which was at least 5 shifts a week.I changed my schedule no less than twice a week to help others that had illness , family crisis, and just wanted off to party.In return when I was faced with a near death health crisis and potentail loss of a loved one, It was a complete ordeal to ask off. All I earned for all my years of helping out was a message that was chock full of threats left by our stores EXA.I think you should paint that Kitchen because it sounds like you are an easy mark and prob the only person management even calls if it was anything like the store I left.Please don't waste your time on any quilt trust me the people users will be ok.
Muskrat

United States

#4 Dec 28, 2012
"They tell you they tried everyone else before they called you and they really need you this time."
Answer A. Everyone else had no problem saying no. Your reason is valid, and you need to stand up for yourself. Don't feel guilty. You've helped often in the past.
morals

Henderson, NV

#5 Dec 28, 2012
turn off the phone , you have a life outside work .
ThrobbingWag

Shelbyville, TN

#6 Dec 28, 2012
I used to go in just for the overtime. Other than that, I would always ignore the calls from work when I didn't feel like going in.
haplesswag

United States

#7 Dec 28, 2012
A! You and your son deserve it. I used to be that person that would come in at the drop of whatever.
Gettingcalledin

Chicago, IL

#8 Dec 29, 2012
We are almost done!!! Thank you all for helping me to get over my guilt and get this thing done!
No sleep for tonight, work tomorrow but I feel like a new person right now and my son is going to be so happy when he comes home from his friend's house to see it!
Thank you again for helping me to do this!

Just hope there are no repercussions!
COSMIC MARGE

Fenton, MI

#9 Dec 30, 2012
Gettingcalledin wrote:
We are almost done!!! Thank you all for helping me to get over my guilt and get this thing done!
No sleep for tonight, work tomorrow but I feel like a new person right now and my son is going to be so happy when he comes home from his friend's house to see it!
Thank you again for helping me to do this!
Just hope there are no repercussions!
that's awesome! I sure hope that you and your son enjoy the new space and good chi it brings for the New Year. What would be cute , if you have an older fridge that looks drab go to the paint store/ craft store and paint it with chalk board paint ,attach a basket of chalk. This might be a hit for the kids, plus a great message center.Also please pick up a lucky bamboo plant from your store for even more good luck. Please know that down time, re-charge time is a must when working the demanding pysco drama that fuels customer service jobs.After being on permo-go for years that was great for the wallet but not very good for personal life or lack of one that this created, I have learned the hard way that you must make time for Kids,Parents and family.ENJOY ! LOVE, COSMIC MARGE
yep

Lockhart, TX

#10 Dec 30, 2012
COSMIC MARGE wrote:
<quoted text>that's awesome! I sure hope that you and your son enjoy the new space and good chi it brings for the New Year. What would be cute , if you have an older fridge that looks drab go to the paint store/ craft store and paint it with chalk board paint ,attach a basket of chalk. This might be a hit for the kids, plus a great message center.Also please pick up a lucky bamboo plant from your store for even more good luck. Please know that down time, re-charge time is a must when working the demanding pysco drama that fuels customer service jobs.After being on permo-go for years that was great for the wallet but not very good for personal life or lack of one that this created, I have learned the hard way that you must make time for Kids,Parents and family.ENJOY ! LOVE, COSMIC MARGE
Bamboo isn't lucky unless someone buys it for you
COSMIC MARGE

Westland, MI

#11 Dec 30, 2012
yep wrote:
<quoted text>
Bamboo isn't lucky unless someone buys it for you
I thougt it was lucky like money tree's well in that case I wish that I could send one to her for the new kitchen, but we must keep our true id's hidden.
jminsea

Seattle, WA

#12 Jan 10, 2013
This is an old thread, but I feel the need to comment anyway.

Here is what I have found out about this company:

You can: come in early this day, leave late that day, work so and so's shift on your day off, rearrange your work schedule to help out someone else, take on any tedious task they ask of you.

THEN, when YOU need any kind of leeway whatsoever, even if it has been MONTHS since the last time you missed even one minute of work, you get a very bad attitude from the boss about.

I am glad to read you got your kitchen painted instead of going into work, where you are CLEARLY under (or perhaps not at all) appreciated for all of your hard work anyway!
idoallthephotost uff

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Jan 11, 2013
jminsea wrote:
This is an old thread, but I feel the need to comment anyway.
Here is what I have found out about this company:
You can: come in early this day, leave late that day, work so and so's shift on your day off, rearrange your work schedule to help out someone else, take on any tedious task they ask of you.
THEN, when YOU need any kind of leeway whatsoever, even if it has been MONTHS since the last time you missed even one minute of work, you get a very bad attitude from the boss about.
I am glad to read you got your kitchen painted instead of going into work, where you are CLEARLY under (or perhaps not at all) appreciated for all of your hard work anyway!
I hear this a lot, but your experience definitely varies based on your SM. They obviously will try to get anyone to come in when they need someone, but at my store if you have a valid reason for needing the day off, they'll work with you as much as possible.

Hell, we have a few high school kids who will just call off cause they "have too much hw", it's annoying, but they accomodate as much as they can.

Now that I work 40 solid hours and open the store, I don't have this problem as it leaves me kinda inflexible (can't come in late if I'm already there, can't go over hours)
mmhae

Cottage Grove, WI

#14 Jan 11, 2013
They cannot retaliate because you said no, sorry I am not available. Remember to stick to your guns. If you have to do not answer the phone, let it go to answering machine. It's NONE of their business what you were doing on your day off. It's NONE of their business what you do when you are not on the clock.
Also, if they come to you while you are working with the change of work schedule to "help" someone out. You have the right to say I'll let you know after I check my schedule.
You have the right to say No.
WorkingMom

Saint Louis, MO

#15 Feb 15, 2013
I have learned from experience to NEVER feel guilty for not coming in when not scheduled to work. At least you work at a store that tries to cover positions when someone is out sick. Twice this week I was the only employee in the whole store with just one other new STL. First was 2 nights before Valentine's Day and when I wasn't able to leave the front register for even second because it was so busy, I was told at 10 that I had to shut down photo, vacuum, sweep, and face the whole store including the crazy, messed up promo aisle. I did it all in 40 minutes but I hurt so bad I didn't sleep at all and had to be back at 8am to work truck which included totes on Wed. and full case on Thurs.(has been a 2 day process for us since we lost both asst. manager AND EXA in Dec.). Today I was only employee with a different STL who won't assist an IC3 even if she is in the candy or promo aisle. The only good thing out of this week was that I HAD to leave at 4 because I was at my max 40 hrs from working over and without lunch breaks. It will start all over again on Mon. But I will enjoy every second of my time with my kids until then!

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#16 Feb 16, 2013
I think you have to put all these favors into perspective. If I have an employee who is generally a piece of crap, but agrees to come in and help on their day off, it doesn't suddenly turn them into a great employee. Maybe it just moves them from "crappy employee i should fire soon" to "below average employee that i will let hang around a while longer."

So, if that employee were to come to me a month down the road and make a special request, I wouldn't feel a psychological need to help that person simply because they came in on a day off a month ago. After all, they are a complete piece of crap otherwise.

Yes, I already know: every employee thinks theyre the best in the world.
COSMIC MARGE

AOL

#17 Feb 16, 2013
disgovernment wrote:
I think you have to put all these favors into perspective. If I have an employee who is generally a piece of crap, but agrees to come in and help on their day off, it doesn't suddenly turn them into a great employee. Maybe it just moves them from "crappy employee i should fire soon" to "below average employee that i will let hang around a while longer."
So, if that employee were to come to me a month down the road and make a special request, I wouldn't feel a psychological need to help that person simply because they came in on a day off a month ago. After all, they are a complete piece of crap otherwise.
Yes, I already know: every employee thinks theyre the best in the world.
HEY DIS GOVERNMENT how are you? I want to come check out your perfect store !

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#18 Feb 17, 2013
It's pretty boring. There wouldn't be enough drama to interest you. The most intense it gets is when a supervisor rolls in every couple months and we spend a little extra time putting wd40 on the metal.
Bewell

Columbia, SC

#19 Feb 18, 2013
I feel sorry for the person with the illness; but everyone else cares less about your dilemma. I worked for WAG for years; was always a "first responder" but you cannot take their "gratitude" and one dollar to buy a cup of coffee! Do not feel bad about trying to have a life- The decision makers have a spreadsheet mentality & the lives of your customers, fellow employes, or anything else does not count. Loyalty no longer exists. If you are fortunate enough leave ASAP as there is a 100% probability of being screwed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sm working saturday 17 min NoThanks 5
Dollar Shop 1 hr Sengalong 4
Simplified question 1 hr Sengalong 5
How much is in your 401k? 1 hr Wagrph 24
What kind of review will get you a raise and/or... 7 hr Captain Prozac 4
Trashing BTS and Spring/Summer 14 hr Wags 3
System troubles. 15 hr DisgruntledEngage... 2
24 gone 18 hr Walgreens4life 128
Rite Aid Done Deal 19 hr SFgiants40 21
ASM Elimination 2018 Wed Wagguy2 50
More from around the web