Do Walgreens employees need to pay $3...

Do Walgreens employees need to pay $300 to join the Union?

Posted in the Walgreens Forum

hohyhoho

Daly City, CA

#1 Apr 27, 2011
I was asked to pay $300 to join the Labor Union and another $40 per month to work at Walgreens.

Is this true?

Do anyone work at Walgreens or know whether this is true?
AngryTiredWagPha rmacist

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Apr 27, 2011
If you have an opportunity to join a union, DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. It is the only thing standing between you and being abused by our corporate overlords. That being said, if Wisconsin is any indication, unions, worker's rights, collective bargaining, workers' protections, etc., are probably a thing of the past.

Anyhoo, looking forward to our future as a banana republic...with Michele Bachmann as president!!!

Will we demand to see her birth certificate? She has a bit of an accent. I think she might have been born in Canada.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#3 Apr 27, 2011
Yes, this is true. Union district. I know quite a few people who works in that district.

AND NO! The union is powerless to help you with your hours. I know people working there with 32hrs/week and they've been working over 10 years.

Which store did you get hired at? I might know how you will like it there. Even with a Union, they get the same treatment as my staff here outside SF.
hohyhoho

Daly City, CA

#4 Apr 28, 2011
Thank You!
Union wont help you much

San Francisco, CA

#5 Sep 11, 2012
I have worked at two jobs with unions. Same treatment. When it comes to layoffs, it is the same thing. And, my last job did not even see a pay raise for two years. What are the unions for? What do they do? They just take our money.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#6 Sep 11, 2012
Heh, wasn't there a PPL on unions or something a few years back? Or was it a corporate flyer or something?

I can't remember now but it had a huge list of what a Union doesn't do for you and how you'll just end up loosing money out of your paycheck for no reason.

They were made to look like scam artists.
It was weird.
Be carfeful how you reply

Chicago, IL

#7 Sep 12, 2012
I'm guessing this is a Walgreen's corporate troll posting. Could be wrong. Would not be the first time.
Vthenewtech

Lynnwood, WA

#8 Oct 2, 2012
I just got hired on at Walgreens and had to watch the anti-union video. I was waiting for the horror movie music that should have accompanied it.It's a PPL called "Your Signature"
Vthenewtech

Lynnwood, WA

#9 Oct 2, 2012
A labor union wouldn't charge that much, unless it was Al Capone's "labor union"

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#10 Oct 2, 2012
hohyhoho wrote:
I was asked to pay $300 to join the Labor Union and another $40 per month to work at Walgreens.
Is this true?
Do anyone work at Walgreens or know whether this is true?
Pretty sure you are either getting scammed, shaken down, or trolling.
Jamon

United States

#11 Mar 7, 2013
Does anyone know if union health plan is a monthly deduction or one time payment per year?
mmhae

Cottage Grove, WI

#12 Mar 7, 2013
Unions collect dues to give to the Democrat party. They use the money to pay off liberal politicians. You need help, stand in line and good luck. Do not join a union, stand up for yourself are they hiring you or the union. If they hire you and you are the best worker awesome employee and Walgreens doesn't treat you right. Heck keep your resume posted and move on to a better and brighter future that YOU decide on.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#13 Mar 8, 2013
Wow. Two intelligent posts I've read tonight. This is becoming a dangerous trend!
roxy4878

Hercules, CA

#14 Jun 12, 2015
Are Walgreens employees unionized in Oregon and Washington? If so, which union represents workers there?
myhearteats

Columbia City, IN

#15 Jun 13, 2015
You need to check your facts. The law that setup unions made closed shops illegal. From both a state and federal level those provisions law have never been truly enforced. Wisconsin does not eliminate unions. It just makes the no close shops provision enforceable.

Since: Jun 15

Location hidden

#17 Jun 14, 2015
Yes, you pay $300 when you first join, they break in up into payments, so you don't have to pay it all at once, after that there are the monthly dues which are about $40. If you have the chance to join, I say join. If you work in the City and County of San Francisco, than you have to join the union and it, isn't a bad thing. You pay less in insurance and get more coverage.
I know lots of people who have had the Union back them and win their cases, when they were treated wrongly. The problem is that a lot of the Employees don't know their rights and don't go to the Union when they should, therefore not all, but a lot managers get away with saying and doing whatever they want, they lie to employees and mess when their schedules, they tell them that they can't call in sick or can't take their vacs and get away with it. It is also important that Employees hold up their end and do what is right, if you are calling in sick all the time, showing up late or not doing what is asked of you, then, no the Union isn't going to be able to help you.
I personally feel that Walgreens tends to hire people that won't or can't speak up for themselves, so that when it comes to issues they can intimidate them and tell them that if they fight for fairness or what is right, they will lose their jobs.
geekyme

San Francisco, CA

#18 Sep 30, 2015
Yes, Walgreens in San Francisco, CA is unionized and must pay an initiation fee of $300. The monthly dues varies and must be negiotiated with the office staff.
Californiaasm

Fords, NJ

#19 Oct 1, 2015
geekyme wrote:
Yes, Walgreens in San Francisco, CA is unionized and must pay an initiation fee of $300. The monthly dues varies and must be negiotiated with the office staff.
So why can't your union go to all stores and try to make them union ? Go to nj stores !! All of them !!
Texas Wal team

El Paso, TX

#20 Aug 1, 2017
Californiaasm wrote:
<quoted text>
So why can't your union go to all stores and try to make them union ? Go to nj stores !! All of them !!
Let's do something they are planing to give layoff to more employees at all levels....to use the money they will save purchasing more markets
IL wal team

Wheeling, IL

#21 Aug 22, 2017
how can you join a union though in illinois , is there a website or phone no where you can talk .. please share if anyone knows. TIA

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pay rate with a transfer. 33 min RichardAsshat 9
Asm bonus 48 min Waggity 2
Lots of people getting ZERO pay raise. 1 hr Wagginit 13
Store managers to get 40% pay increase. 1 hr Recentlyliberated 31
Store manager raises ? 1 hr TheTruth 5
Crooked Pharmacist In Albany Ga 1 hr GoPlay intraffic 5
Bonus 2017 2 hr TooLong 65
How should I leave the company? 4 hr rph4ever 18
DM'S moves Sun Cowboy Troy 7
More from around the web