Dearborn, MI

#2 Dec 27, 2012
very large grocery store chain in the U.S. and oversees
ThrobbingWag

Shelbyville, TN

#3 Dec 27, 2012
thought you should know wrote:
very large grocery store chain in the U.S. and oversees
HAHAHA, don't you mean "overseas"? You're f_ucking stupid.
COSMIC MARGE

New York, NY

#4 Dec 27, 2012
Yes I was told they pay very well the cashiers start out at like$ 11.00/$12.00 per hour, Not sure what the management would make.Very nice stores with great prices.But I prefer Sparkle Market.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#5 Dec 27, 2012
They're a grocery chain that's doing pretty good.

They pay well above the average retail wage. But it comes at a price. Outdated technology, usually part time hours for non-management, everyone is worked to the bone, especially store managers who are salaried. From what I've read, the turnover rates are high there just due to burnout.

IMO it'd be a great opportunity for part time employees at Walgreens, and probably many MGTs/EXAs if they could land a management role there. I'd be lying if I didn't say they were on my radar
disgovernment

Mount Vernon, OH

#6 Dec 28, 2012
yeah, theyre some bizarre ass grocery store that stocks a bunch of sh*t on the floor in boxes that you don't need. then you waste 5 minutes looking around their store and wonder what retarded european thought this wacky concept up. then they make you loan them a quarter to get a shopping cart or something.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#7 Dec 28, 2012
Place is a craphole.....
ChuckWAGin

Tinley Park, IL

#8 Dec 28, 2012
disgovernment wrote:
yeah, theyre some bizarre ass grocery store that stocks a bunch of sh*t on the floor in boxes that you don't need. then you waste 5 minutes looking around their store and wonder what retarded european thought this wacky concept up. then they make you loan them a quarter to get a shopping cart or something.
Strange, yes, but they are the largest grocery store in the world. They also own trader joes. An upscale grocery store.
COSMIC MARGE

Novi, MI

#9 Dec 28, 2012
The ALDI'S I shop at are clean,neat and brand new.I also think the B.D. stores are great and seem to do well around depressed areas.People in depressed areas don't like to pay more than $1.00 for dish soap.The new BD store has a huge room thats a big cooler to keep the produce cool, a feature I thought was nice for a super discount store to offer , it was upbeat, bright `and seemed cared for unlike some of these dolla stores that look like a flashMOB riot went down 24-7.
mustbemylocation

Chicago, IL

#10 Dec 28, 2012
The Aldi stores in the Chicagoland area vary in shop-appeal. As you may imagine, the ones located in certain surrounding suburbs are much more appealing. They have introduced a higher quality product line in many of their stores. Aldi has done a lot to try to reach more than just the penny wise budget driven consumer. I am a pasta snob and find the Priano Pipe Rigate to be excellent. You can not find it as cheap and as good anywhere else. Of course, they do not sell everything on your list. Looking for a knock off Lysol disinfectant spray? Look elsewhere. They do not carry everything under the sun, but if you are in one of their locations that caters to a wider audience, you may be pleasantly surprised by what you may find there. Around here their truck day seems to be on Wednesdays. They may have changed it as we have after the holiday. The day manager at one store I go to every other week has told me a lot about how she starts and ends her day. I think Retailifer really summed things up well based on what I have heard about the working conditions from a manager who is really trying to make her store shine out. Right now I can not work the amount of hours they are looking for and keep my job at wags. So, when they have a position open with less hours I may take up her offer to work for them. I'll feel like I am cheating on my wife doing it, but one has to do what one has to do. I think Aldi will be around for a very long time and possibly grow even more.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#11 Dec 28, 2012
I think Kroger brings in more revenue in just the US than Aldi does worldwide. So I'm doubtful that they are largest.

Regardless, I've been in their stores and they suck. If you want cheaper, go to walmart. If you want better selection go to any regular grocery store (or walmart).
ChuckWAGin

Tinley Park, IL

#12 Dec 28, 2012
disgovernment wrote:
I think Kroger brings in more revenue in just the US than Aldi does worldwide. So I'm doubtful that they are largest.

Regardless, I've been in their stores and they suck. If you want cheaper, go to walmart. If you want better selection go to any regular grocery store (or walmart).
Aldi is by far the largest. In the US Also. Do your research before you speak.

Location hidden

#13 Dec 29, 2012
Kroger's 2012 revenue was 90 billion US. Aldi's 2009 revenue was 53 billion euro (at an exchange rate of 1.32 - that would translate to...70 billion US?). So, are either one of those 2 facts wrong? Or, did Aldi's revenue explode between 2009 and 2012? I don't know, because I'm not about to research grocery stores for 2 hours. Show me what data you're working with.
wagsuxxx

Platte City, MO

#14 Dec 29, 2012
Who cares who is bigger. Aldis is my area which is a cheaper metro was hirein shift managers starting at $15.50 which seemed decent. Aldis is also far better quality than Walmart while being cheap as Walmart generic line.
chitowndude

Chicago, IL

#15 Dec 29, 2012
aldi pays better. work is better. aldi wins.
dont give a sheet

Cookeville, TN

#16 Dec 29, 2012
RetaiLifer wrote:
They're a grocery chain that's doing pretty good.
They pay well above the average retail wage. But it comes at a price. Outdated technology, usually part time hours for non-management, everyone is worked to the bone, especially store managers who are salaried. From what I've read, the turnover rates are high there just due to burnout.
IMO it'd be a great opportunity for part time employees at Walgreens, and probably many MGTs/EXAs if they could land a management role there. I'd be lying if I didn't say they were on my radar
You are a moron obviously retention rates blow wags away cashiers get to sit in a chair and are the happiest clerks I have ever met. Maybe wasson should get a fing clue and wonder why they are growing so quickly compared to this dinosaur aka walgreens

Location hidden

#17 Dec 29, 2012
me and my wife went to aldis and couldn't find a f**king thing we wanted. a bunch of goofy ass sh*t sitting lazily on pallets. extremely limited selection. prices that were so so, not bad and not great. not impressed. reminded me of something dumb ass liberal europeans would come up with.

who needs a job there. can make as much or more working for walgreens.
wagsuxxx

Platte City, MO

#18 Dec 29, 2012
Aldis start their shift managers out at a higher rate than Walgreens. $15.50 in Kansas city. Its funny than a small government loving libertarian would hate a small efficient concept such as aldis where customers return carts, bag their own groceries, and love big bloated Walmart and Walgreens. Price at aldis is just as good at Walmart. If you have only been once or twice then you can't speak on that. Aldis, small efficient and pays their employees fairly. What libertarians apparently hate.
thought you should know

Dearborn, MI

#19 Dec 29, 2012
ThrobbingWag wrote:
<quoted text>
HAHAHA, don't you mean "overseas"? You're f_ucking stupid.
your mom biatch now have a nice day and tell her to wipe the vanilla frosting from around her mouth I left yesterday

Location hidden

#20 Dec 30, 2012
Liking freedom and disliking a bizarre grocery store don't appear to me to be as incompatible as you apparently believe they are.

So your comparison of Aldi's wage structure vs. Walgreens, is simply an analysis of their starting management rate?

Walmart is one of the most efficient companies in the world, hence their massive sales and profits.

I never professed to having any special love for Walgreens. Frankly, it's a job that I don't care for too much, but pays the bills. I mean...who really enjoys retail? Not many.

I will admit that my one visit to Aldis was not enough to pass a final judgement on them. But my first impression wasn't good. I understand the concept of what they're trying to pull off, my biggest gripe is the selection.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pulse metrics?! 51 min Yippidydoo 3
Dear Corporate (we know you're reading these) 2 hr No-Respect 64
Are sfls and other positions soon to become par... 2 hr 716 asm 12
Overnight 9 hr Reality 8
I hate my job at Walgreens (Dec '12) 13 hr SCMGR 146
40, 000 poiints (Jul '14) 14 hr JamesandWilliam 96
Toy department is a mess 22 hr BDB 19
simplified store 23 hr Sigh 94
Store Managers Tue SCMGR 34
More from around the web