Kiosk/robot to replace pharmacists

Posted in the Walgreens Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#1 Jul 7, 2012
I just saw that we purchased a company called Pharmatrust that makes an ATM style kiosk that can be put in stores and everything can be completed remotely by pharmacists. This includes counseling thru a TV monitor. We are also working with Asteres who also offers products like this.
Store net... Search.....pharmatrust......Ad am Kaplan.....read the info for release 66

I'm sure it will take some time with some state boards but I have a feeling that with the remote product review we are now doing in the wellness stores this will cut out many pharmacist jobs and will spread thru other chains as well.
It sucks but this with a saturation of pharmacist =$30 an hour in the near future
sgt Paxil "AGREED"

Columbia, SC

#2 Jul 8, 2012
jlpst94 wrote:
I just saw that we purchased a company called Pharmatrust that makes an ATM style kiosk that can be put in stores and everything can be completed remotely by pharmacists. This includes counseling thru a TV monitor. We are also working with Asteres who also offers products like this.
Store net... Search.....pharmatrust......Ad am Kaplan.....read the info for release 66

I'm sure it will take some time with some state boards but I have a feeling that with the remote product review we are now doing in the wellness stores this will cut out many pharmacist jobs and will spread thru other chains as well.
It sucks but this with a saturation of pharmacist =$30 an hour in the near future
How is this going to work with the elderly and our mentally challenged?(over 85% in most stores) Most want EVERYTHING done for them. Bet that they will pretend they cannot hear; just walk away, or stand there talking on the cell phone and ignoring the device. It is rare that they use the touch tone or voice mail; they only know to punch "1" and & then "0" Wag will again waste $$$$ before testing the practical utilization in the "real world"

Location hidden

#3 Jul 8, 2012
I don't see this in every store, but I can picture them trying to reduce pharmacy hours in slower stores with something like this, or replacing some of the overnight pharmacists. As much as i hate to see a machine replace me, technology is going to do it at some point and this is the first real taste that I've seen in my career.

Location hidden

#4 Jul 8, 2012
Seeing as we are the greatest liability to the company as far as payroll goes, you can bet your a$$ that all resources are going toward this type of technology and clearing all the legal hurdles in each state in order to get it done ASAP.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#5 Jul 8, 2012
wth - just when you thought things couldn't get any stranger -

===

Lessons from the bankruptcy of PharmaTrust
June 19, 2012

Some text from http://www.benefitscanada.com/benefits/health...

"In the PharmaTrust court filings, it was disclosed that the remote dispensing kiosks sold for $130,000 each, in addition to ongoing licensing fees."

=====

Fire the Pharmacist, Get your Drugs from a Vending Machine

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2009/03/16/fire-th...

Location hidden

#7 Jul 8, 2012
Notice what the reporter said near the end of the videoclip

At minute 1:34 -“Pharmatrust is hoping to expand these med centers, especially to more remote communities, here and abroad making health the latest convenience at your fingertips.”

Location hidden

#8 Jul 8, 2012
From watching this video I would have to say Walgreens will be streamlining the Pharmatrust machine. This machine would make it possible to operate a store without a pharmacist in the building. Kiss the overnight pharmacist good bye....

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/health/2010/...

Location hidden

#9 Jul 8, 2012
Normal (Illinois) OKs gas station, pharmacy kiosk for Kroger
September 19, 2011

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/governme...

Location hidden

#11 Jul 8, 2012
Debate this: Do prescription drug kiosks belong in the marketplace?

Some text from http://www.kioskmarketplace.com/article/19558...

Americans may one day be able to visit a kiosk for prescription medications instead of relying solely on a doctor. Although it may sound farfetched, it's no longer only a "what-if"; scenario. In fact, the FDA held a two-day hearing in March, where it heard from a variety of stakeholders on the public health implications of such a decision...
Despite a lot of discussion, none of those questions ended with black-and-white answers. The hearing was basically the first step in a long process, said Yolanda A. Fultz-Morris of the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Its purpose was to learn the best ways to implement a prescription drug kiosk program "under conditions of safe use intended to ensure appropriate use by consumers, and the potential benefits and costs of this type of approach," she said. "FDA is reviewing testimony from the hearing and comments submitted to the public docket for the hearing to inform its decision-making on whether or how to implement conditions of safe use approach to making drugs available without a prescription. Stakeholder input is vital to this process and FDA."
Wagss

United States

#12 Jul 8, 2012
Do you have anymore info? All I can find is that pharmatrust went bankrupt

http://www.benefitscanada.com/benefits/health...
Bubba

Ardsley, NY

#13 Jul 8, 2012
The tech was suppose to be replace the pharmacist then parata machines and then mail order then..? Maybe this will be just another tool used in drug delivery. Technology "threatens" almost all occupations except barbers and home health aids...maids, janitors...part of the reason why unemployment is so high. Bigger news is the FDA wanting an OTC behind the counter status of drugs...statins and albuterol were mentioned.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#14 Jul 8, 2012

Location hidden

#15 Jul 9, 2012
The fact they we bought the company that produces a product that can operate without a pharmacist on site makes this situation much scarier. Walgreens didn't do this to make our jobs easier. They did it to replace people and reduce costs.
Pharmatrust = more layoffs= more saturation= desperate kids taking my job for $30/hr

Location hidden

#16 Jul 9, 2012
Drug dispensing kiosks come north

http://www.nomj.ca/Articles/Technology/Drug-d...
a Canadian

Lansdale, PA

#17 Sep 7, 2012
I have watched the growth and quick decline of Pharmatrust in Canada and I can't say that I'm surprised that they hit a brick wall, financially speaking. The spending appeared to far outweighed their customer base.
will Walgreens use these machines? will they use them only in remote locations? will they modify the model? I guess remains to be seen.
mylifeforthewaaa ag

Kelseyville, CA

#18 Sep 7, 2012
I use to work on simular systems when they were called CATS. The primary function is clinical a RN scans patients bar code it distributes the meds.

Location hidden

#19 Sep 8, 2012
These are being distributed to stores this month and are going to be compatable with release 67.
storeNet search....pharmatrust.....adam kaplan......click on the links
barb b kew

United States

#20 Sep 8, 2012
st least the kiosks and the robots will have better personalities!!.....BURN
wagslave

Puyallup, WA

#21 Sep 8, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if they put these in and laid off more employees. To be honest I am shocked that the service clerk position even still exists as Walgreens could easily install self checkouts. I am sure photo will be entirely run by the kiosks someday too. And I have already heard rumors that BAs are getting axed at some point in the near future. Someday there will only be a manager and one or two employees for stocking shelves, working resets, and refilling receipt tape in self checkout lanes. Yehaw.
a Canadian

Lansdale, PA

#22 Sep 10, 2012
jlpst94 wrote:
These are being distributed to stores this month and are going to be compatable with release 67.
storeNet search....pharmatrust.....adam kaplan......click on the links
Are you rolling out the PharmaTrust machines or different Walgreens machines?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Store Managers off Christmas Eve??? 39 min SCMGR 5
Bonus 5 hr SCMGR 6
Waiter percentage metric 5 hr Metric help 10
Asm's and Sm's only- thoughts on scheduling EVE... 8 hr Informed 34
Shift lead is a A-hole 9 hr WAG this 12
Beauty Position 16 hr Poboysandwich 5
Frontier project (Jun '15) 20 hr Troy 258
simplified store Fri Sigh 115
Managers Thu AskingAllTheQuest... 22
More from around the web