shermy

Houston, TX

#21 Jan 19, 2012
PhxMgt wrote:
The edison project is the conversion of the mgt position to the new team lead position. This program has been going for a few months now in the phoenix area and corprate has been very pleased with the results so far. Eliminates the higher wage mgt position for a low wage team lead position. This is not speculating this is what's going on and people are freely talking about here in the valley. Do what u may with this info I.e. get your resume ready if u can't aford to live on 10 bucks an hour. Also includes some pharmacy stuff but I'm not sure what's going on there.
You are simply taking a pilot test program that is going on in your area and placing a name (edison project) on it that you've heard of - probably from this blog when, in fact, you have no clue.
concerned

Queen Creek, AZ

#22 Jan 20, 2012
shermy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are simply taking a pilot test program that is going on in your area and placing a name (edison project) on it that you've heard of - probably from this blog when, in fact, you have no clue.
I was told by my CL when asked them directly about management "rewiring" and they told me it is called "the edison project". Yes it is a pilot in the Phoenix area right now, but if you read the email sent out by corp. a few weeks ago, they are taking feedback from this pilot program to roll it out company wide. Guess you will find out the hard way that this is not just rumor, but fact, going on right now and being implemented in the next few months. Good luck, maybe you will be one of the few chosen ones who gets to keep their job.
phxwagemployee

Peoria, AZ

#23 Jan 20, 2012
I work in the phx market so let me tell you exactly what the Edison project is. It's a new management structure which involves involves replacing mgts and stls with "shift leaders". The shift leader position is similar to the stl position but requires them to do more ie get most of the calls, most of the stocking, etc... They are supposed to do most of the day to day stuff to free up more time for the store manager and EXA to strategize how to increase sales and to "engage" the employees more. The store manager and EXA get to spend more time managing and less time getting refunds and receiving calls. The shift leaders are not allowed to delegate. The store manager or EXA is supposed to write very detailed lists each morning on what needs to be done and they have to specifically put on the list who is to do what to avoid having the shift leaders delegate because delegation is a function of management, and they are not managers. Some stores have 2 shift leaders/1EXA/1store manager, some have 3 shift leaders/1exa/1store manager. The 24 hour stores have 5 shift leaders/1exa/1store manager. The shift leaders take the place of the overnight mgts as well. Some of the 24hr stores may have an MGT or 2, especially if they're a CL store. This program is good for the non management team members because a lot of HPSs and SBAs, and even some regular cashiers, photo techs, and beauty advisors got promoted. It sucks for MGTs because a lot of them are now scared they are going to lose their jobs. It's also could be good for them because they could possibly promote more mgts to make sure every store has an EXA. This pilot started in 9 stores. We will be moving into phase 2 in the coming weeks which will expand the number of stores in the pilot to include the rest of the stores in the communities where the original pilot stores are. This is just a pilot program, but I think they're going to make it work.
Tom

Largo, FL

#24 Jan 20, 2012
Kind of sad it has come to this, if all this is true Walgreens has done the damage to itself which makes it all the harder to believe

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#25 Jan 20, 2012
phxwagemployee wrote:
I work in the phx market so let me tell you exactly what the Edison project is. It's a new management structure which involves involves replacing mgts and stls with "shift leaders". The shift leader position is similar to the stl position but requires them to do more ie get most of the calls, most of the stocking, etc... They are supposed to do most of the day to day stuff to free up more time for the store manager and EXA to strategize how to increase sales and to "engage" the employees more. The store manager and EXA get to spend more time managing and less time getting refunds and receiving calls. The shift leaders are not allowed to delegate. The store manager or EXA is supposed to write very detailed lists each morning on what needs to be done and they have to specifically put on the list who is to do what to avoid having the shift leaders delegate because delegation is a function of management, and they are not managers. Some stores have 2 shift leaders/1EXA/1store manager, some have 3 shift leaders/1exa/1store manager. The 24 hour stores have 5 shift leaders/1exa/1store manager. The shift leaders take the place of the overnight mgts as well. Some of the 24hr stores may have an MGT or 2, especially if they're a CL store. This program is good for the non management team members because a lot of HPSs and SBAs, and even some regular cashiers, photo techs, and beauty advisors got promoted. It sucks for MGTs because a lot of them are now scared they are going to lose their jobs. It's also could be good for them because they could possibly promote more mgts to make sure every store has an EXA. This pilot started in 9 stores. We will be moving into phase 2 in the coming weeks which will expand the number of stores in the pilot to include the rest of the stores in the communities where the original pilot stores are. This is just a pilot program, but I think they're going to make it work.
so tell us how are these stores in the pilot getting rid of there current mgts? are they waiting for attrition or handing them a pink slip? there are many concerned mgts that would like to know including myself.
ipad

Houston, TX

#26 Jan 20, 2012
lowtime wrote:
<quoted text>
so tell us how are these stores in the pilot getting rid of there current mgts? are they waiting for attrition or handing them a pink slip? there are many concerned mgts that would like to know including myself.
great question ------ Phoenix??
phxwagemployee

Peoria, AZ

#27 Jan 20, 2012
lowtime wrote:
<quoted text>so tell us how are these stores in the pilot getting rid of there current mgts? are they waiting for attrition or handing them a pink slip? there are many concerned mgts that would like to know including myself.
in the meantime, the mgts have just been moved to other 24 hour stores not currently on the pilot program.
Hgybr

Sacramento, CA

#28 Jan 20, 2012
The pilot in Phoenix probably describes part of the process, but if growth is slowing, as stated, why would they need 7000 exas? Or, for that matter, 7000 store managers? I would not discount the shift leaders replacing mgts in most stores, I would think you'd still need someone with management capability on an overnight. I would not be surprised however, if it came to pass that a new position replaces the traditional exa and store manager position to "run" the store, while the CL's and DM's use strategery to increase sales.

To meet future manager needs, the company can simply run a corporate based training program hiring college grads to be thought leaders instead of the previous/current model of having management trainees run registers, clean bathrooms, put away truck, moping up puke, getting yelled at by medicaid "patients"', chasing vagrants, thieves and fast change artists, for 3-5 years, then being absolutely used and abused as an exa working 70+ hours a week for 2-4 years, then finally making it to store manager level, and having your hours cut so sharply that you don't have anyone else to do all the crap you just had to do for the last 6 years, so guess what?

Well dog garn, I've gone and lost my train of thought...

Good luck everybody.
A manager

United States

#29 Jan 20, 2012
Meeting in Dallas at end of January for FL DM 's. DMs and Rx supervisors in a regional as we speak. What else out there?

Location hidden

#30 Jan 20, 2012
phxwagemployee wrote:
This is probably the most damning thing I've read about the entire situation...but at the same time makes the most sense and is the most thought out.

Those who currently work at Walgreens think it's insane to take another manager out of the stores in favor of "shift leaders," but the truth is that's how retailers are read. When I started at Walgreens a few years and found out we had a store manager and three assistants I thought it was crazy lol. Although it was nice.

I've worked for a big box retailer that was a store manager, two assistants, and two shift leaders...and that was a much larger store than Walgreens with many more employees to manage and projects to oversee. They made it work.

I worked at another retailer where I ran the store without any assistants and just a couple shift leaders. The store typically saw 1000ish customers a day. It was hell, but the company is still thriving.

I guess what I'm saying is management at Walgreens is spoiled compared to other retailers. I'm not saying it's right. I think one of reasons Walgreens does so well is because of the added backbone in the stores. But it's not impossible, especially not with the business model phxmgr claims is being tested.

However, as an MGT...this is really depressing as the writing seems to be on the wall at this point. Step down or get out.
Hgybr

Sacramento, CA

#31 Jan 20, 2012
It would be easier to buy the lean times call for tough measures bs if they hadn't just given our CEO a 50% increase.

Location hidden

#32 Jan 20, 2012
To add to the writing on the wall...

The new Kronos systems appears to not allow MGTs to edit punches at all for employees who forget to clock in or out. Given some stores don't even have EXAs, you would think we would have this feature. But why program it in if our position is short-lived anyway?(unless it's something SMs are supposed to set up for each manager and mine just doesn't know what he's doing lol)

The new PPL about working off the clock refers to "Store Managers & Team Leaders" which seems to hint towards a Team/Shift Leader role in stores.

Store managers in our district were asked recently to submit a list of any employees interested and capable to getting promoted to STL, which didn't make sense to me when I heard that. Makes sense now if they're going to 1-3 shift leaders per store.

Hopefully I'm just reading too much into it
Casher

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#33 Jan 20, 2012
I gotten no high schol eduction. It I bean promote too keys holdter. Sea; hard work paid of!
Mgt1

United States

#34 Jan 20, 2012
To retailifer your sm can assign your mgts to edit punches in Kronos. I think your reading too much into it try to be positive.
MGT

Louisville, KY

#35 Jan 20, 2012
I think Wag is certainly pleased with how the Phoenix test market has worked but we won't see a literal rollout of the plan for all stores.

We know Wag wants to get rid of MGT's... how many are there? I'd guess around 15,000-18,000. Wag can't simply lay off that many people. Nor can they convert the MGT's into "shift leaders" without being liable for partial unemployment.
Slim

United States

#36 Jan 21, 2012
phxwagemployee wrote:
how much are shift leaders paid?
phxwagemployee

Peoria, AZ

#37 Jan 21, 2012
Slim wrote:
<quoted text>how much are shift leaders paid?
not sure exactly, but I think it's either $10 or $11/hr.
Geraldo

Houston, TX

#38 Jan 21, 2012
phxwagemployee wrote:
<quoted text>
not sure exactly, but I think it's either $10 or $11/hr.
Here's what I find amazing -- that you actually had enough qualified people in your area to run this pilot program with all of those STL positions. In my area either we don't have qualified employees or the ones who we think may even be halfway qualified turn the position down because the pay isn't enough to intice them. In my store alone we've had 3 people turn down the position. This is freakin' nuts.
manager

United States

#39 Jan 21, 2012
68 newly designed stores? This where we are headed. Have to have the store structure in place to manage the new model. That's all about health and wellness. Might explain the Edison Project. Makes sense.
Geraldo

Houston, TX

#40 Jan 21, 2012
manager wrote:
68 newly designed stores? This where we are headed. Have to have the store structure in place to manage the new model. That's all about health and wellness. Might explain the Edison Project. Makes sense.
makes sense to me also

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
plp??? 11 min Sengalong 7
Red Nose Day 3 hr 777wag 20
Selling WalPhed (Jul '13) 3 hr budlghtdkr 19
PTO Fired 4 hr return 15
ripping up receipts 7 hr do tell 7
disrespectful, belittling, managers. helpp 8 hr do tell 24
Red Nose Day 8 hr mother goose 5
Conference 14 hr Itdoesntmatter70 3
Conflict of Interest???? Sun Itdoesntmatter70 5
More from around the web