MGTs being demoted, but only temporar...

MGTs being demoted, but only temporarily.

Posted in the Walgreens Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#1 Mar 15, 2012
I was told yesterday that if a MGT takes a SFL spot when asked, you can still apply for ASMT when that position opens.

So basically any MGT saying no to the SFL position is a fool because you are setting yourself up to be laid off if there are no SFL spots left over when the deadline comes.

By accepting the SFL position when it's offered to you, you guarantee yourself a job. However, if you hold on to your MGT job and you are unsuccessful in being promoted to ASMT, your fired.

I've had this confirmed by my SM and DM

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#2 Mar 15, 2012
comiskeybum wrote:
I was told yesterday that if a MGT takes a SFL spot when asked, you can still apply for ASMT when that position opens.
So basically any MGT saying no to the SFL position is a fool because you are setting yourself up to be laid off if there are no SFL spots left over when the deadline comes.
By accepting the SFL position when it's offered to you, you guarantee yourself a job. However, if you hold on to your MGT job and you are unsuccessful in being promoted to ASMT, your fired.
This demotion will not be temporary for the majority.
ASM-T will be a severely limited position and then locked for two years sense its being set as a two year training program. Unless there are very few MGTs in your district you will be competing against every other MGT for it. IF you do not get the VERY limited position then you either have to become an SFL or are terminated/quit "depending on state laws" because you refused the new position. Also if that becomes the case it depends on state laws sense you refused an offered position even at less pay wether or not you can get unemployment.
I had a degree once

Oceanside, CA

#3 Mar 15, 2012
comiskeybum wrote:
Wrong.. There will always be a spot open when they ask the mgt to step down. The mgt would be acting and holding down that spot till they ask you to step down. If you decline to step down then your SM will hire or promote some one to SFL to replace the acting mgt.. They want people to step down sooner that's why there kinda being gray and not up front with all these changes.. They want MGT'S to quit that's why they came out with this shady business plan..

Location hidden

#4 Mar 15, 2012
I had a degree once wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.. There will always be a spot open when they ask the mgt to step down. The mgt would be acting and holding down that spot till they ask you to step down. If you decline to step down then your SM will hire or promote some one to SFL to replace the acting mgt.. They want people to step down sooner that's why there kinda being gray and not up front with all these changes.. They want MGT'S to quit that's why they came out with this shady business plan..
I totally agree but if you don't take the SFL spot when offered to you they will get someone else. And then a year later if your districts SFL spots are all full and the deadline hits. Your fired. They are not going to give you a spot if it does not exist. That's my point.
back to hati my friend

Boca Raton, FL

#5 Mar 15, 2012
Interesting my SM was even more vague... All Ican say if you got vacation take it now
whats the point

United States

#6 Mar 15, 2012
how.can all sfl jobs be taken when there will still be mgts. What are you thinking. So stores will.be fully stafed with sfls and still.have outgoing mgts. That's way to many employees.
Try again with your thinking. Yes once u don't make it to asmt and say no to sfl they have to fire you and find someone to replace. But until then the store.isn't going to have sfls just hanging out waiting

Location hidden

#7 Mar 15, 2012
back to hati my friend wrote:
Interesting my SM was even more vague... All Ican say if you got vacation take it now
Yup. Or say for example tomorow you are asked to take a SFL spot and you say yes. Make sure you take all of your vacation and use a few sick days during your "keep your pay for 90 days" period.

That way you max out your "vacation pay"

Location hidden

#8 Mar 15, 2012
whats the point wrote:
how.can all sfl jobs be taken when there will still be mgts. What are you thinking. So stores will.be fully stafed with sfls and still.have outgoing mgts. That's way to many employees.
Try again with your thinking. Yes once u don't make it to asmt and say no to sfl they have to fire you and find someone to replace. But until then the store.isn't going to have sfls just hanging out waiting
YOU ARE NOT LISTENING TO ME. If you consider all of the MGTs on 3rd shift and all the daytime MGTs and all the good STLs out there in your district, there are only so many SFL, and ASMT jobs to be had.

IF YOU DO NOT TAKE SFL WHEN IT IS OFFERED TO YOU, you stay at MGT until whenever your district manager says time is up. If your DM says time is up and you the MGT have not either been promoted to ASMT or taken a SFL spot (which have now been filled)

YOU ARE FIRED!!!!! There are more people than jobs!!!! Understand now???? THIS WAS CONFIRMED BY MY STORE MANAGER AND DISTRICT MANAGER.

The only way a MGT will be asked a SECOND time to become a SFL is that if by some miracle all of the SFL spots have not been filled when deadline hits.
Geraldo

Houston, TX

#9 Mar 15, 2012
comiskeybum wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU ARE NOT LISTENING TO ME. If you consider all of the MGTs on 3rd shift and all the daytime MGTs and all the good STLs out there in your district, there are only so many SFL, and ASMT jobs to be had.
IF YOU DO NOT TAKE SFL WHEN IT IS OFFERED TO YOU, you stay at MGT until whenever your district manager says time is up. If your DM says time is up and you the MGT have not either been promoted to ASMT or taken a SFL spot (which have now been filled)
YOU ARE FIRED!!!!! There are more people than jobs!!!! Understand now???? THIS WAS CONFIRMED BY MY STORE MANAGER AND DISTRICT MANAGER.
The only way a MGT will be asked a SECOND time to become a SFL is that if by some miracle all of the SFL spots have not been filled when deadline hits.
I agree totally with what you've stated except for the "by some miracle" portion. My gut feeling tells me that there will be spots left over but I won't be gambling with that scenerio. I'm planning on transfering as an SFL to an area where the job situation is a lot better and my financial situation will be a lot better. Also, the earlier I do it the better chance I have of working for the managers I want to work for in this area that I know real well (there are at least 3 who would grab me up in a heartbeat).
just wow

Oceanside, CA

#11 Mar 15, 2012
ok try this again lil slower this time. axample store will have 1 SM, 1 ASM, and 3 SFL's. the 3 SFL spots are held by the old mgt's now when an mgt quits then the open spot is filled by either the "now promoted STL' or just some one else who ever SM wants. there not goind to hire the 3 SFL's for any store till either the manager quits or gets the ASM spots. Does it make sense now??

Location hidden

#12 Mar 15, 2012
Geraldo wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree totally with what you've stated except for the "by some miracle" portion. My gut feeling tells me that there will be spots left over but I won't be gambling with that scenerio. I'm planning on transfering as an SFL to an area where the job situation is a lot better and my financial situation will be a lot better. Also, the earlier I do it the better chance I have of working for the managers I want to work for in this area that I know real well (there are at least 3 who would grab me up in a heartbeat).
Yup, basically by accepting the SFL spot when its offered to you, you simply guarantee yourself a job when the dust settles.

You can then, come April 2013, as a SFL, apply for ASMT.

There is no advantage to being a "leftover MGT" versus a SFL when being considered for ASMT.

Again, confirmed by multiple people of power.
stlconcerned

Old Monroe, MO

#13 Mar 15, 2012
comiskeybum wrote:
<quoted text>
This is exactly what we were told. This is actually updated from the original information. Actually saw the email from DM. Maybe it varies by market or something based on qty of MGTs/EXAs? Guess they will find out for themselves, huh?

Location hidden

#14 Mar 15, 2012
whats the point wrote:
How can all the spots for sfl.be filled while.mgts are still around. So in the end. When the mgt time is up will each store have a full staff of sfls and still have and pay the lingering mgts
BECAUSE IF YOU SAY NO, THEY GO TO THE NEXT PERSON, WHICH ARE STL'S AND OTHER EMPLOYEES WITH GOOD REVIEWS. My District Manager also said they would "hire off the street if needed"

Ask your boss, i bet he/she would tell you the same thing I was told.

Its smart to take the job when offered to you rather than gamble it not being there.

Id rather make 14 bucks an hour for a few months and then apply for ASMT rather than be laid off in 18 months if I fail to get ASMT
just wow

Oceanside, CA

#15 Mar 15, 2012
comiskeybum there is an advantage its called $4 AN hour. your getting miss info because walgreens wants mgts demoted asap it saves them $$$$ and thats why there not telling you that you can milk it all the way till the end and still have a gauranteed SFL spot..
Geraldo

Houston, TX

#16 Mar 15, 2012
comiskeybum wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, basically by accepting the SFL spot when its offered to you, you simply guarantee yourself a job when the dust settles.
You can then, come April 2013, as a SFL, apply for ASMT.
There is no advantage to being a "leftover MGT" versus a SFL when being considered for ASMT.
Again, confirmed by multiple people of power.
lol -- actually I'll be talking to these managers before anything is offered to me. I'm planning on seeing them within the month. I'll tell them "call me when you need me". One of them manages a 24-hr store. This is one of those times when I'm glad I "don't burn bridges".

Location hidden

#17 Mar 15, 2012
just wow wrote:
ok try this again lil slower this time. axample store will have 1 SM, 1 ASM, and 3 SFL's. the 3 SFL spots are held by the old mgt's now when an mgt quits then the open spot is filled by either the "now promoted STL' or just some one else who ever SM wants. there not goind to hire the 3 SFL's for any store till either the manager quits or gets the ASM spots. Does it make sense now??
WRONG WRONG WRONG. My district manager said "SFL spots get filled first. Meaning its possible all spots might be filled before ASMT position is opened up."
Wagmgr

San Antonio, TX

#18 Mar 15, 2012
comiskeybum wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummm that is incorrect... If a store transitions lets say current structure is 1stl, 1mgt and 1exa... They will promote the stl given thier last performance review and ask the mgt to step down... Mgt says no... That store will not receive another sfl. The other sfl position will be TEMPORARILY filled by the mgt. Are you saying that we will just have extra mgts floating around every district? Once the shit hits the fan in 2014 THEN will mgts have to make a choice but now they will be out of thier convenience of choosing what store they would like to work at. Sfl positions will be HELD BY MGTS WHO DO NOT STEP DOWN... By 2014 if they still refuse only then will they be separated. Sounds like they are trying to get you guys to transition early... Good luck.
whats the point

United States

#19 Mar 15, 2012
Its way more then $4 in many cases.

They going to hire.off the street? Most current applicants cant even pass the math part.of.the application for a service clerk. You go try abduction staff ur store with newbies and see how for that gets u

And being a sfl now having the garunteed job as you say isbt that good if u understand ur an sfl for life with the company
Geraldo

Houston, TX

#20 Mar 15, 2012
comiskeybum wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG WRONG WRONG. My district manager said "SFL spots get filled first. Meaning its possible all spots might be filled before ASMT position is opened up."
Yep, if one looks at the time line (FAQs - Field Transformation) the ASM-T selection STARTS to take place in July of 2013. "Ongoing Shift Selection" starts taking place this month and onward into time (end of 2013). That's going to be 16 months of Shift Lead Selection before they even start to fill the ASM-T positions.
whats the point

United States

#21 Mar 15, 2012
Sfl spots.filled first. Ok. So take a store with current exa mgt stl. If mgt says no for not will store keep exa as asm. Stl as sfl. Hire a new sfl and keep the mgt till they fire him for not making asmt

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Managers to work full day Saturday's during Dec... 10 min xvef 2
Using balance rewards card 14 min WHATRU 18
Leadership poster 21 min Nihilist37 25
Management theft 2 hr Idk 7
ASMs, ASMTs and SFLs mandatory lunch break 2 hr SCMGR 17
Can I smoke medicinal herb at break or during m... 2 hr Dirk McNasty 19
What is a designated hitter? (Feb '16) 5 hr CSA 70
Paid vacation 7 hr VetSM 15
More from around the web