Paid time off.
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
super mgt

Turner, MI

#41 Sep 25, 2012
they arent putting it in the bucket til 2014. time to use up those sick days. also i would be leary of banking vacay as a MGT. once you get forced to step down your vacation becomes worth less too. i stepped down to stay on thirds but used up all my vacation so i would get it at mt current rate

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#42 Sep 25, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
The most sick time you can have banked is 30 days which is....240 hours. You aren't getting screwed!
My current balance is 310 hrs. Even by adding in 4 days from this year (I've had to take 2 days this year), that would be 272 hrs.
Ohlongjohnson

Land O Lakes, FL

#43 Sep 25, 2012
At my store I know none of us will have any banked time off for 2012 since our manger made all of use our time off for this year, so the most that any of us can bank now is 2013.
Anonymous

Grand Rapids, MI

#44 Sep 25, 2012
prof wagstaff wrote:
<quoted text>
My current balance is 310 hrs. Even by adding in 4 days from this year (I've had to take 2 days this year), that would be 272 hrs.
If that's the case I would tell no one as current policy states: Sick days that are unused at the end of a calendar year may be accumulated for use in subsequent years - up to a maximum of 30 sick days. Accrued Sick Days may be used when all current-year Sick Days have been used. If you become disabled and are receiving half-pay benefits under a company disability plan, then your Accrued Sick Days shall also be used to supplement that half-pay benefit.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#45 Sep 25, 2012
Hmm. I have five hours of vacation left and 30 of sick. Can i bank them then?
chicago

Saint Cloud, FL

#46 Sep 25, 2012
hhh wrote:
Washington State starts PTO Jan 1, 2013....so not a stupid question
. Do what is the hour per pto rate for getting pto .
Pharmgirl8

San Antonio, TX

#47 Dec 20, 2012
redbluewalgreens wrote:
I do not understand how they say we did not earn our current years vacation pay.
If, when I started, I was given vacation on day 1, then what they are saying would be correct.
But, I had to wait a certain amount of time before I was given vacation, I believe it was 6 months to a year before I got vacation. Therefore, yes, indeed, I have already earned my current vacation.
By re-starting the clock on Jan 2014 and making you delay vacation until you "earn" it (again), they are basically leap frogging over a certain period of time - delaying your vacation by a certain amount of time, and thus, they are probably going to save a ton of money. Delay everyone's vacation by 6 months or whatever, that will save a lot.(Forget that you can bank this years and next years days to use in 2014 (you are thus delaying it all)).
I will be very curious to know the new system. How many hours you have to work to get a day of vacation.
I am thinking it will be nice to not have these sick days that you can never actually use though. Why have sick days when they do not allow you to call in currently?
I agree with what you are saying completely, they never let us call in as pharmacists, and I think that you are right about them trying to save money, the whole reason for this I am affraid is that they are going to try and force everyone to fight for the same 2 months of vacation so that they get to deny everyone's vacation and that's the reason that now you can bank the days because now they can tell you sorry you don't get any vacation this year but its ok because you can bank it for next year! But then when next year rolls around you don't get vacation days because people with more seniority are fighting with you for the same days, it's sorry again. That way they cut down the number of vacations they are having to pay for each year.
Pharmgirl8

San Antonio, TX

#48 Dec 20, 2012
exa wrote:
Just a thought. If we accrue pto throughout the whole yr. We should probably be able to us it in say november adecember one would think. But since i have worked for this company i have not been allowed to take a day of vac after oct. 31st and before jan. 7th. Surely this will change in 2014.
Yea right! Listent, I'm not trying to be mean, but, you really think they are going to suddenly give us the bulk of our vacation time at the end of the year and then allow us to take it during the busiest season?! I wish, but even if they decided to be magnanimous (which they sure as hell WON'T) it would be impractical to have a lot of people gone for a week or two around the holidays and flu season. You have a lot more faith in the company than I do and I really hope that you are right.
Disgusted

Olympia, WA

#49 Dec 20, 2012
Skeptic wrote:
Just wanting to see what you guys think of the new system starting in 2014. I can't help but think it won't be good for employees.
Being from Washington with 8+ years of service I went from 23 total paid days off per year to a max of 12- AFTER a full year without taking one day off. From being cut to 30 hours a week, cap in pay, no more bonus and now this- great way to show appreciation for dedication and hard work, Walgreens! I am grateful for a job, just disgusted at how much they really prove to us we are just a number. The Charles Walgreens, founder, believed in taking care of his employees, not taking advantage of them.
Disgusted

Olympia, WA

#50 Dec 20, 2012
On compass there was an accrual chart that shows how many accrual hours are per hour worked. (No one seemed to have provided this) 5-14 years of service, over 30 hours (which is rare) you multiply hours worked by 0.077- which means I went from 15 days paid vacation, six sick days and two personal days to a MAX of 9 HOURS per month accrued. Be thankful if you are NOT from Washington as I am and am also in the category of coerced into taking ALL paid time this year. This information was sent down in SEPTEMBER which we have always been forced to take vacation before October 1st, we had no time to prepare.
Disgusted

Olympia, WA

#51 Dec 20, 2012
RauschBjerke wrote:
My husband's company converted to PTO a few years ago. He accrues 0.1462 hours of PTO for every hour worked up to a set max based on years of service every year and then there is a cap on how many pto hours can be banked before losing. There are different rates of accrual depending on your length of service. Most company PTO's work similar to this.
- I have worked for Walgreens for almost NINE years. My accrual time for my service is 0.077 per hour worked. This PTO may work for some, but I know I have been screwed out of over HALF my previously allowed paid days. Being told 15 days before it takes place in Washington.. makes me physically ill. Almost a decade of dedication, awards for recognition and being the "go-to" person obviously means nothing. Glad it worked for your Husband though.
Dood

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#52 Dec 21, 2012
So, when I quit, do I get my sick day pay? Or is that lost to the winds?
WaGEXA

Eugene, OR

#53 Dec 21, 2012
Dood wrote:
Not sure if that info has been released yet, but I would not be surprised if they follow the current prorated model for employees separating from the company.
Grease

Elmhurst, IL

#54 Dec 22, 2012
Dood wrote:
Under Benefits & Policies on StoreNet:

"Sick time is intended to be used as outlined in the "Use of Sick Time" section above. Therefore, if you leave the company, voluntarily or involuntarily, you will NOT be entitled to payment for any unused or accumulated sick time. In addition, your unused or accumulated sick time is not reinstated if you are later rehired, regardless of whether your previous service time is bridged."
chicago

United States

#55 Dec 23, 2012
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text> - I have worked for Walgreens for almost NINE years. My accrual time for my service is 0.077 per hour worked. This PTO may work for some, but I know I have been screwed out of over HALF my previously allowed paid days. Being told 15 days before it takes place in Washington.. makes me physically ill. Almost a decade of dedication, awards for recognition and being the "go-to" person obviously means nothing. Glad it worked for your Husband though.
. How did youb get this 0.07. I didn't find it in compass
Mr Me

Rossford, OH

#56 Feb 11, 2014
The truth of it is,with this new pto system Walgreens is taking away whatever months you've worked your first year. The earlier you started in the year,the more you get screwd.I'm coming on 15 yrs in jan. But instead of gettin my 4 weeks vac in jan. I have to earn them and that takes about a year so I'll be with the company for almost 16 yrs before I get my full vac owed to me for 15 yrs.So they are taking whatever months you've wrked that first yr from you.in my case I started in jan. so i'm gettin screwed. If they wanted to be fair about it they should pro rate everyones vac for the months they worked that first yr and give them the days.This whole time working here it seems like they take more from the employees
stormcarey

Hyannis, MA

#57 Mar 12, 2014
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Being from Washington with 8+ years of service I went from 23 total paid days off per year to a max of 12- AFTER a full year without taking one day off. From being cut to 30 hours a week, cap in pay, no more bonus and now this- great way to show appreciation for dedication and hard work, Walgreens! I am grateful for a job, just disgusted at how much they really prove to us we are just a number. The Charles Walgreens, founder, believed in taking care of his employees, not taking advantage of them.
I also work for the store and got 6 years in and your right they do take advantage of the whole situation and yes we are getting screwed.. and also with no notification of how this pto works and with no explanations from the company that is real communication not.. the company only cares what the numbers say not what we say we are only the employees what do we know right? my store is open till 10 pm every night I work the night shift I go in at 5 till 10 after 7 we have no customers hello walgreens your not making the business or the money just last night we only made 1500 !!!! but I think its time for a job hunt good luck everyone walgreens does not care for its employees

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#58 Mar 14, 2014
Well my SM helped all of us. Last year he went around and told EVERYBODY to save some of the vacation time you have for the next year. I did just that......it's called Frozen Vacation time and that is what is used first before PTO you've earned so far this year.........
Stephan

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#59 Jan 5, 2015
Do you get paid your pto if you leave the company?

Since: Nov 14

Houston, TX

#60 Jan 5, 2015
Stephan wrote:
Do you get paid your pto if you leave the company?
Yes

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scheduling question? 20 min Wet farts 7
Call off policy for weather. 34 min True 23
Upcoming Restructuring 41 min ASM 21
riteaid and walgreens 46 min Cramer 13
rewards card zipcode problem (Jan '13) 1 hr Johnnie walker 5
Asm covering store while SM is on "leave" 3 hr Bootsblowd 5
I would like to withdraw my 401k for buying a ... 4 hr Jeffrey 21
Bullying and Harrassment by an SFL 5 hr Bnmr 8
Stupid Things Employees/Cashiers Say or Do...... (Mar '12) 11 hr NowAnASMT 175
Re-title of Store Manager (Aug '15) Jan 21 Happy61 150