Paid time off.
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Skeptic

Springfield, IL

#1 Sep 14, 2012
Just wanting to see what you guys think of the new system starting in 2014. I can't help but think it won't be good for employees.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#2 Sep 14, 2012
what exactly is your question?

New system? Are you talking about the new MGT structure? There are numerous threads on that.

Are you talking about KRONOS? There's also numerous threads on that..
yep

Carrollton, TX

#3 Sep 14, 2012
Itdoesntmatter70 wrote:
what exactly is your question?

New system? Are you talking about the new MGT structure? There are numerous threads on that.

Are you talking about KRONOS? There's also numerous threads on that..
He is referring to vacation days and sick days merging into paid time off. They will no longer be two separate things starting in 2014.
make me believe

United States

#4 Sep 14, 2012
That's a lot better for those people who never call out sick. But will it still be the same 10 vaca and 6 sick to 16 pto or will they cut the total.

But then again any plan set for 2014 won't have answers till 2015. So stop asking stupid pointless and useless questions
chip

Kansas City, KS

#5 Sep 15, 2012
In my district its dang near impossible for an rph to be able to use their vacation days let alone sick days.what's the point of PTO if they are going to make us jump thru the same hoops.
walgemp

Puyallup, WA

#6 Sep 15, 2012
It has been over a year since the last time I used any sick time, and I only use it when I REALLY need it. I don't play hooky and hate it when I have to miss any work as I don't like the inconvenience it puts on others because I can't be there for my scheduled shift. It would be nice to be able to use all those unused paid days as extra vaca days!
Skeptic

Springfield, IL

#7 Sep 15, 2012
make me believe wrote:
That's a lot better for those people who never call out sick. But will it still be the same 10 vaca and 6 sick to 16 pto or will they cut the total.
But then again any plan set for 2014 won't have answers till 2015. So stop asking stupid pointless and useless questions
Just trying to see if someone up the food chain knew what the plan was in the future. I wasn't trying to ask a stupid question.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#8 Sep 15, 2012
Skeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
Just trying to see if someone up the food chain knew what the plan was in the future. I wasn't trying to ask a stupid question.
I wonder if our banked sick days will be converted to paid time off too? I have 30 banked.
super mgt

Goodrich, MI

#9 Sep 15, 2012
yes banked sick days r converted. and everybody can bank vacation now. but if you dont bank no vacation shows up on January 1 2014. PTO has to be earned. so basically the r screwing us out of time off for the first however long of 2014
SoCal HEXA

Anaheim, CA

#10 Sep 15, 2012
Banked sick days will not be converted to PTO. They will stay in the bank and will be used first if you go on disability.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#11 Sep 15, 2012
The new system requires you to EARN the time off before taking it. Therefore they are allowing everyone to bank time this year and next year to prepare for it. I believe more than what you are allowed to bank by a week. But can't remember for sure
hhh

Portland, OR

#12 Sep 15, 2012
Washington State starts PTO Jan 1, 2013....so not a stupid question
walgemp

Puyallup, WA

#13 Sep 15, 2012
I don't understand what you mean by "earn" it. What are the requirements for that? 5+ years of full time service isn't enough?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#14 Sep 15, 2012
Are they going to give us based off of 10 months out of the year vs 12 months since we're not allowed at store level to take vacations during November and December?

I don't see this as 100% practical for a retail setting that has blackout dates/months as far as the accural.

The writing was on the wall though when they changed the use of vacation/sick days this year to prorated if you quit early.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#15 Sep 15, 2012
I do not understand how they say we did not earn our current years vacation pay.

If, when I started, I was given vacation on day 1, then what they are saying would be correct.

But, I had to wait a certain amount of time before I was given vacation, I believe it was 6 months to a year before I got vacation. Therefore, yes, indeed, I have already earned my current vacation.

By re-starting the clock on Jan 2014 and making you delay vacation until you "earn" it (again), they are basically leap frogging over a certain period of time - delaying your vacation by a certain amount of time, and thus, they are probably going to save a ton of money. Delay everyone's vacation by 6 months or whatever, that will save a lot.(Forget that you can bank this years and next years days to use in 2014 (you are thus delaying it all)).

I will be very curious to know the new system. How many hours you have to work to get a day of vacation.

I am thinking it will be nice to not have these sick days that you can never actually use though. Why have sick days when they do not allow you to call in currently?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#16 Sep 15, 2012
redbluewalgreens wrote:
I do not understand how they say we did not earn our current years vacation pay.
If, when I started, I was given vacation on day 1, then what they are saying would be correct.
But, I had to wait a certain amount of time before I was given vacation, I believe it was 6 months to a year before I got vacation. Therefore, yes, indeed, I have already earned my current vacation.
By re-starting the clock on Jan 2014 and making you delay vacation until you "earn" it (again), they are basically leap frogging over a certain period of time - delaying your vacation by a certain amount of time, and thus, they are probably going to save a ton of money. Delay everyone's vacation by 6 months or whatever, that will save a lot.(Forget that you can bank this years and next years days to use in 2014 (you are thus delaying it all)).
I will be very curious to know the new system. How many hours you have to work to get a day of vacation.
I am thinking it will be nice to not have these sick days that you can never actually use though. Why have sick days when they do not allow you to call in currently?
Because the alternative is companies who actually don't give sick days and will tell you that you have to *plan* all your PTO days.

This means TRULY having NO SICK DAYS and not just in the sense that you feel you can't call off sick.

Let us hope this is kept in the middle of the road where you can use it as needed whether it's vacation or sick.

“The Papers said I was Truant”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#17 Sep 15, 2012
I understand it as thus:

Sick/Vaca days are going away. They will be lumped together. If you want more Vaca the next year (after the start of this whole thing), take less Sick that year. Your unused Sick days (converted to hours) will be added onto banked Paid Time Off. If you decided to not take any Vacation during the first year, those hours will be added as well.

Did I get that right?
thespaz

Kelseyville, CA

#18 Sep 15, 2012
The truth about the current policy is it is not illegal,but is a tort in a civil court. My friend just left the company and had 7 vacation days. He was prorated. He then sent a demand letter to corporate for the rest. The company issued a check. I ma pretty sure if you threaten a suit you will get paid for it. They have no chance of winning or the desire to waste a ton of money fighting a small claims case.

The average cost to fight a small claims case is $1200. Plus, because of the year wait they have little chance to win it.

This is the main reason why they changed to PTO earned.

If you were to sue after quitting for you x days you would win. Say it takes effect next year you could fight in court and win the money for the lost days.
Now part-timer

United States

#19 Sep 17, 2012
I've only used 2 sick days in the past 9 years with the company and, needless to say, I have the max allowable banked sick days which amounts to well over 200 hours. I recently dropped to part-time and am only working 1 shift per month. Does this mean that if I hold out long enough with the company I'll finally be able to collect on those 200+ hours in 2014 as PTO? Or, will they screw me by pro-rating my time according to my 52-week average?
Yep

Virginia Beach, VA

#20 Sep 17, 2012
Now part-timer wrote:
I've only used 2 sick days in the past 9 years with the company and, needless to say, I have the max allowable banked sick days which amounts to well over 200 hours. I recently dropped to part-time and am only working 1 shift per month. Does this mean that if I hold out long enough with the company I'll finally be able to collect on those 200+ hours in 2014 as PTO? Or, will they screw me by pro-rating my time according to my 52-week average?
You'll be kind of screwed. Those 200+ hours will go into a special sick bank only to be used towards the waiting period for short - term disability benefits (usually a week). u are screwed anyway with current system. When would you or could you use all those sick hours anyway? The current system generally rewards lazy employees and screws hard working loyal and caring employees . I look forward to new system!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
24 gone 7 min Wall 9
Kronos scheduling systems 47 min Winning 3
Theatro to track employees 1 hr Riblets Zen 67
Bonus 2017 12 hr jerkstore 29
Raise 17 hr MidWagHag 4
CVS, Walgreens sued for overcharging pharmacy c... 17 hr MidWagHag 15
simplified store 21 hr BOOGIE MAN 124
Conference calls 22 hr GenXer 117
Phase out pharmacy managers 22 hr jerkstore 23
More from around the web