Just Got Hired as a Pharmacy Tech

Just Got Hired as a Pharmacy Tech

Posted in the Walgreens Forum

New Pharmacy Tech

Moberly, MO

#1 Dec 28, 2012
I'm a High School senior who just got hired as a pharmacy tech at my local Walgreens. What should I expect? I'm doing the PPLs and they seem so overwhelming...do the PPLs make it seem worse than it is? I'm really nervous about the Brand/Generics and the SIG codes, do you have to have those memorized? Any advice? Thanks!
Grease

Elmhurst, IL

#2 Dec 28, 2012
Did you make a second post here? I thought there was already a recent post like this...Anyway, the job can be overwhelming if you don't keep an open mind and not be willing to learn quickly. Memorizing Brand/Generic isn't hard; you will repeatedly be seeing the substitutions enough that it will stick in your mind, otherwise you can use Drug Inq. to look up drug price, generic name, purpose, etc. If you understand and become efficient in working in IC+, you will do fine.

The only thing I will warn you about is the workload. There will be times where you'll have to multi-task (like calling insurance, talking to a patient and typing up scripts at the same time). Sometimes you will not have another Tech helping you or the RPH or staff become inefficient where you will have to run the show (especially when the new hours are put in place thanks to Front End Labor Model). This is part of the job, unfortunately, but if you can be efficient to multi-task, then you will do fine.

New Pharmacy Tech

Moberly, MO

#3 Dec 28, 2012
Okay, thanks for the reassurance. I was just getting pretty overwhelmed with all the information the PPLs throw at you. (yes this is my second post, i just wanted to re=post with more vivid questions)

Since: Jul 17

Springfield, IL

#4 Jul 13, 2017
New Pharmacy Tech wrote:
Okay, thanks for the reassurance. I was just getting pretty overwhelmed with all the information the PPLs throw at you.(yes this is my second post, i just wanted to re=post with more vivid questions)
Are you still a phar tech at Walgreens?
DeadHorse

Madison, WI

#5 Jul 13, 2017
Scriptking wrote:
<quoted text>
Way to respond to a 5 year old post.
N D Tyson

Zephyrhills, FL

#6 Jul 13, 2017
Scriptking wrote:
<quoted text>
That sure is a fascinating question!
Scriptking

United States

#7 Jul 14, 2017
N D Tyson wrote:
<quoted text>

That sure is a fascinating question!
If your a phar tech just say so closed mouths don't get feed

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Your thoughts 5 hr sinkingship 3
June Budget 7 hr Really 17
Are All Store Manager in Walgreens Lazy?! 9 hr Poboysandwich 30
Does anyone else find it ridiculous..... 9 hr Itsjustajob 25
CSA Elimination 2018? 11 hr Wags 6
NPS Fraud 12 hr Sugg sell king 21
Manager Access 13 hr Pstbs 9
25 yr walgreens employee being forced out 18 hr miss carol 79
Staff Pharmacists hours being cut May 17 EVH5150 21