Walgreen set for layoffs at HQ

Nov 19, 2013 Full story: Business Journal 19

Walgreen Co. plans to lay off employees from its corporate ranks, cutting as many as 17 percent of the workers at its headquarters , according to a report by Crain's Chicago.

Full Story
A dude

Glendale, AZ

#1 Nov 19, 2013
No,no. Not layoffs. "Optimization" as Wasson says. I like how his last line of the town hall meeting was " folks, don't be worried about optimization. It's the way of life."
a longtime employee

Chicago, IL

#2 Nov 20, 2013
This isn't his job he doesn't care. I hate this company and everything it stands for. And now those people are suppose to have a good holiday huh? A DM once said to me after our xmas bonus was cut"well at least U still have a job"? Well what now? Almost forgot he was demoted.###hole!!!!!
Quepasa83

United States

#3 Nov 20, 2013
The overall morale at corporate was very low to begin with. This will undoubtedly make things much, much worse. It's very sad that Walgreens hired so many new corporate employees since Rewire, only to let them all go now. This company has become very cut-throat and encourages a "every man for himself" environment, while falsely preaching core values that nobody seems to value. Charles R. Walgreen, so sorry your beloved company has ended up this way.
Wow

Chicago, IL

#4 Nov 20, 2013
Glad I am not there, but chicago press said 17% of HQ employees
Wagschmag

Palatine, IL

#5 Nov 20, 2013
In August last year, it was announced that Walgreens would get a $47 million tax break for hiring 500 people at corporate, as part of Gov. Quinn's Invest Illinois initiative. I don't know who's the bigger bozo--government or corporations.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-08-03...
Anonymous1

United States

#6 Nov 20, 2013
When does the greed end? It's so sad that this company is now an awful place to work for
diogenes

Chicago, IL

#7 Nov 20, 2013
that place is something else. A bunch of losers are running the show now. They remind me of the commercial that shows a bunch of monkeys running amok in a corporate suite.
Gahhh

Surprise, AZ

#8 Nov 20, 2013
Record sales, record profit, record immunizations..soooo, let's fire them?!? Screw Walgreens.
jabbernow

Holmen, WI

#9 Nov 21, 2013
Wagschmag wrote:
In August last year, it was announced that Walgreens would get a $47 million tax break for hiring 500 people at corporate, as part of Gov. Quinn's Invest Illinois initiative. I don't know who's the bigger bozo--government or corporations.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-08-03...
Yup! Just in time for the 2012 election so the jobs numbers look better. Must have been a time frame with that offer. Times up!!!!!Be Well !!!!!
Wow

Chicago, IL

#10 Nov 21, 2013
I heard some VPs were told their positions would be eliminated so they left prior to being terminated.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#11 Nov 21, 2013
what division are these vp's in?

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#12 Nov 21, 2013
Hey,they have to have some way to pay fines, and dole out money for all the lawsuits against them.
Wow

Chicago, IL

#13 Nov 21, 2013
purchasing and finance.

Purchasing went to Switzerland?? some guy named berkowitz is president

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#14 Nov 21, 2013
interesting but no cuts in departments that make no money, and are clearly only large expenses only for the company

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#15 Nov 27, 2013
So sad to keep hearing layoffs continue at wag. Should never have happened or at least at the continued volumes over several years. I could not imagine working in that environment now. Must be very toxic.The folks running the company now or major departments are consultants, not the long term wag badged employees who knew the business from the bottom up. I knew we were headed for trouble when shortly after Rewire was announced and our recently acquired CIO was having a town hall meeting and asked how many of us had purchased the new iPad that was released that week. We were not thinking about expensive purchases but wether we would have a job next week, and many of us didn't. He was so disconnected and still is as I hear from friends.
I can't help but wonder with so much of the wag jobs moved to India, Philippines, Mexico, what employees are actually in the country to shop a wag?
Pglez

United States

#16 Jan 27, 2014
The head-chopping continues at Walgreens as of January 2014. The Clnical Office is going through a "restructure" and the various VP's are "retiring" to avoid the chopping block. The new positions being created are a lower salaries with higher responsibities.

Face it people, we're just pawns at the mercy of the Walgreens shareholders and board of directors.
pglez-reply

Chicago, IL

#17 Jan 30, 2014
wow, there wont be many VPs left.
Charles dtr

United States

#18 Aug 25, 2014
Walgreens is a corrupted place to work. This company is going to shits, you will see the outcome.
Spider

Levittown, NY

#19 Aug 25, 2014
I'm so worried that Mark Wagner will only make 4.9 million next year. No raise? How will he survive? Greg only 12 mil? Whatever will you do? Wasson had the nerve to say that wages for the executives are frozen? Kermit got severance and an advisory job? For making a billion dollar mistake? Greg, better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove it. Let Alex do the talking. He's a) much smarter than you & b) he seems to have something else that you, and your entire brain trust are sadly lacking in. Integrity!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heads begin to roll... 49 min Fleckstein 100
An open letter to SM's from an RXM 1 hr Aditusumshnit 38
chances for advancment out the window 2 hr You Never Know 9
Store Manager Elimination?? 4 hr Wag-boot 3
speculation (Aug '14) 5 hr Wag-boot 19
Roadshow. Facts only 6 hr Misterjoe87 54
Transferring to another store without consent 11 hr ASM 4
When is the first Road Show? today? tomo? Updat... Thu VivaLaW 93
Feb 18th Meeting News Wed GameOrDie 177
More from around the web