#1 Sep 1, 2012
smh

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Sep 1, 2012
really sucks
Someone

Plymouth, MA

#3 Sep 1, 2012
Some people don't know the reality of an inner city store. The minute the hood thinks your soft, game over. They will walk all over you and steal aything not nailed down....including telxons and call buttons
Ya right

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Sep 1, 2012
Why would you risk your job, and maybe your life over a stick of deodorant ? He shouldn't have been fired, but that's all part of the new Walgreens now. I tell my boss when I'm transfered that I don't chase ppl out of the store. Wags profits are not more important than my well Being.
Someone

Plymouth, MA

#5 Sep 1, 2012
That being said, safety is the number once concern. You have to be concerned about escalating violence and someone getting hurt. The best thing to do is make enouh friends in the area so that people in the hood and police help you control the riff raff
wagsuck

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Sep 1, 2012
Someone wrote:
Some people don't know the reality of an inner city store. The minute the hood thinks your soft, game over. They will walk all over you and steal aything not nailed down....including telxons and call buttons
this is so true

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#7 Sep 1, 2012
Customers at inner city stores are animals. They will steal anything they can get their hands on. I think it's funny that Walgreens is the only retailer to service these scum.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#8 Sep 1, 2012
Worked my first 4 years at a store like that... Had to try to help minimize people running out with arm-fulls of merch every chance they had, being accused of being racist and having my life threatened every time I would stop them. It's not that I cared about Wag profit, but more that I hated theives. I also lived in those conditions during a rough financial time, down the street from the store in fact, and never believed it justfied theft so I definitely did not sympathize with that bs. After all, they were well off enough to afford new Jordans that helped them outrun us half the time, and the things they would steal were far from necessities. Having our hours continuously slashed to counter the shrink was also infuriating. Things got physical on more than a few occasions, and let's just say none of us, employees or MGT's, were exactly in compliance with Wag shoplifter procedures. If you don't show more resistance than "excuse me sir please stop", they're coming back the next day with their cousins and cousin's uncles's brothers to double up on what they stole last time. And the police? Haha, good luck getting a response to shoplifting in a neighborhood that takes over 2 hours to get a response for armed robberies, carjackings, and shootings (not an exaggeration). I'll always remember things like nearly being stabbed over Crest White Strips, helping arrest a crackhead that was attacking customers, all the people getting robbed in our parking lot or occasionally in the store, etc... Thankfully, our LPS was a former cop in areas like that, so she sympathized with every situation, and let's just say some things were probably left out of her reports since we still have our jobs today, lol. It's sad what people deal with at those stores, and a complete joke that they could expect any manager to successfully run a store under the same standards as a suburb location. Many stores in those areas are extremely high RX volume, so the stores will never close for that reason alone, but for ####'s sake at least show a little leniency for the people dealing with all the madness in the front end.
thespaz

Clearlake, CA

#9 Sep 1, 2012
I remember doing the refresh project. I had to have the back door open at 2 am in the morning in the ghetto no fun at all.

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#10 Sep 1, 2012
Ya right wrote:
Why would you risk your job, and maybe your life over a stick of deodorant ? He shouldn't have been fired, but that's all part of the new Walgreens now. I tell my boss when I'm transfered that I don't chase ppl out of the store. Wags profits are not more important than my well Being.
Nice spin. That's exactly what my useless LPS would say.

But it's NOT just "over a stick of deodorant". It's the long term effects of consistant enforcement. Like others said, if you let this slide, the word gets out and it's open season in your store for the sub-humans.

When shoplifters see me in the front, they move on to the next Walgreens. They see my useless MGT staff and they come on in. All the MGRs in the rough neighborhoods will tell you the same.

Too bad WAG doesn't care. The MGR shouldn't have shoved him in front of the camera. Keep improper policy procedures away from the cameras!

Hey Shawn, are you still the EXA in that store? Now's your chance to be promoted you prick.
SBAgirl

Carpentersville, IL

#11 Sep 1, 2012
Caught a shoplifter just a few weeks ago.. watched the lady put 7 eye shadows in her bag. I met her at the front cashier and asked her where the eye shadows she took were at that I saw her take off the display... She said she never touched any eye shadows but as she pulled out her wallet I saw them and pointed at them.. I said well those eyeshadows Mam. She said what are you going to do about it? I said well pull them out and pay for them or when you leave the store I will call the police. She pulled them out and paid... If I thought I could get fired for it I would have just helped her fill her bag. Good thing I'm better than that....
xmasrepack

Cleveland, OH

#12 Sep 1, 2012
So it looks like if you want to keep your job, DO NOT confront theives. Or you will end up crying on the evening news.

These big black guys come in and take whatever they want all the time. Its crazy.
Wagsucks

Concord, CA

#13 Sep 1, 2012
When u see a big blk guy take your stuff, just tell him to be well

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#14 Sep 1, 2012
Walgreens frowns upon the employees that don't give the shoplifters a shining 9 experience. Because, as you know, they're customers also.

Since this company is so bass-ackwards torwards common sense, I gave up awhile ago with the shoplifters. If I witness something, I'll tell the manager on duty. Otherwise, I'm not going to accuse, say anything, or act upon any sort of shoplifting activity. Corporate made it clear to me that it's not my job and I should have no part in any kind of loss prevention. Selling candy bars will make up for any kind of shrink the store experiences.
Code 30

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Sep 1, 2012
I had a lady come in with a huge and very noticeably empty purse. I could never catch her actually putting anything in the purse but when I got done helping pharmacy I noticed her bag was definitely full of stuff. I went and got a shopping cart and took it to her and said "that's such an amazing purse! I was admiring it when u came in. It has such a great shape and apparently it can hold almost anything!" As I turned away hoping I had pissed her off she bolted for the door and left the purse with all it's unpaid contents in the cart :) I must say it felt great to ruin her night but I certainly wouldn't do that again... Walgreens seems to accept EVERY kind of customer...even the non paying ones!!!

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#17 Sep 2, 2012
seinfan01 wrote:
Walgreens frowns upon the employees that don't give the shoplifters a shining 9 experience. Because, as you know, they're customers also.
Thankfully, they don't have a way to give shoplifters receipt surveys... yet, lol.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#18 Sep 2, 2012
JMGT wrote:
<quoted text>
Thankfully, they don't have a way to give shoplifters receipt surveys... yet, lol.
Speaking of surveys...does anyone know if corporate can see who does the survey? Track the IP address? Seems like a lot of work, but corporate seems to throw $ at stupid things all the time. We have an employee that we think is filling them out when the customer doesn't take the receipt. She gets her name mentioned at least once a week. She has average customer service so I find it interesting that she is the only one getting mentioned. I don't really mind to much, she gives us all 9s.=)

Location hidden

#19 Sep 2, 2012
Wow im shocked that none of the usual crybabies haven't called any of these comments racist yet. I agree with most of what everyone is saying and Walgreens needs to stop letting scum dictate how employees are treated.
tell the truth

Arlington Heights, IL

#20 Sep 2, 2012
Like everything in life I am sure there is more to the story. I wonder how many times he was told not to chase shop lifters?

Location hidden

#21 Sep 2, 2012
joeybutterfucco wrote:
Wow im shocked that none of the usual crybabies haven't called any of these comments racist yet. I agree with most of what everyone is saying and Walgreens needs to stop letting scum dictate how employees are treated.
Is it racist to say stores in black neighborhoods have more problems with crime and violence? Only a few stores in this city have security, guess where they're located.

I've worked in high-shrink stores in white neighborhoods and it's totally different than working a so-called "urban" store. Both are more stressful for employees but in different ways. Walgreens caters to scum of all races.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
An open letter to SM's from an RXM 44 min Wagful 77
Any promotions or demotions yet? 45 min Allgonnaburn 8
Ok to include lunch breaks on ASM's schedule? 3 hr Really really 12
employee relations (Oct '11) 4 hr Freaking BS 35
Store Manager Interviews 5 hr John m 15
Roadshow. Facts only 5 hr Hawkeye 97
2 Questions for Store Managers 6 hr Nexlab247 13
Heads begin to roll... 16 hr Altec Lansing 126
One-on-One's have started 16 hr wagEvangelist 5
More from around the web