Pharmacy Tech vs. Shift/Floor Lead?

Posted in the Walgreens Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#1 Oct 25, 2012
Am I missing something? I was offered a shift lead position but after further research I see that they do in fact make less than a pharmacy technician. I assumed I was getting a promotion however this looks like a demotion.. what's going on? Might as well stay in RX? Hope it is not too late to change my mind. Advice?
ThrobbingWag

Shelbyville, TN

#2 Oct 25, 2012
You're looking at a store employee position vs. an RX position. If you took the job, you would in fact be doing more work for less pay.

“The Papers said I was Truant”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#3 Oct 26, 2012
What was your position when you were offered SFL?
yep

Haslet, TX

#4 Oct 26, 2012
wagsunite wrote:
Am I missing something? I was offered a shift lead position but after further research I see that they do in fact make less than a pharmacy technician. I assumed I was getting a promotion however this looks like a demotion.. what's going on? Might as well stay in RX? Hope it is not too late to change my mind. Advice?
They only benefit might be a promotion to asmt in the distant future. And a good chance that you will get 40 hrs every week. As far as money stay in the pharmacy.
Geraldo

San Antonio, TX

#5 Oct 26, 2012
I agree with yep. If you're struggling for hours in the pharmacy then you may want to consider the SFL position. If not, stick with the RX.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#6 Oct 26, 2012
Along with crappy hours, holidays, and everything else in between that pharmacy techs don't normally have to deal with!
Promotions aren't always as good as they sound. Hopefully it isn't too late to change your mind. I guess that depends on when you said yes and if you've already been coded as such.
Yeah ok

Ripon, WI

#7 Oct 26, 2012
wagsunite wrote:
It's considered a lateral move, if not a promotion. I believe you would get a 3% raise if it is a promotion, even if it puts you over the cap. You will definitely have a lower cap as a Sfl. You're not a boss and you're not a regular employee - the middle child of walgreens employees. As far as I am concerned, the Sfl position is a joke. At least in the pharmacy, you will be treated with a little more respect.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#8 Oct 26, 2012
Comparisons

RX- all the pastries you can eat, never have to leave your paradise of your 12x12 carpeted cubicle. Job security because this country is full of pill poppers, not too mention better overall normal hours.

SFL- Your screwed....good luck with that!
caliWAG

Hayward, CA

#9 Oct 26, 2012
SFL has to be the worst retail position in the industry

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#10 Oct 27, 2012
caliWAG wrote:
SFL has to be the worst retail position in the industry
Trying doing practically the same job for less money elsewhere, then you have it right.

Location hidden

#11 Oct 27, 2012
I have been following this thread. You might want to go back and watch the technicians in the pharmacy for a little while. If you don't want to deal with the drive-thru, having to answer the phone, having to call insurance companies, having to work with the pharmacist(s) in very close quarters for an entire shift, or have someone responsible for monitoring your work during your shift, then you will not like being a technician.

In some stores, you hardly move from one place because they have so many technicians working at the same time and you will have an assigned station. In other stores, you will be walking between the counter, the drive-thru and the filling station non-stop for your whole shift. If it is slow, you might be cleaning or doing something other maintenance task but you will still be expected to stay in the pharmacy.

There are some holidays the pharmacy is closed and the closing time can vary store to store. You might want to ask what the typical shifts are for technicians. What is the earliest time a technician comes in and the latest time a technician leaves?

Of course, you could become certified and then work at a hospital for more money. The senior technicians make close to what they would make at a hospital in my area but I don't expect to ever make that amount.

I am not saying that an SFL is any easier or harder than being a technician.

SFL could be a good stepping stone to a job somewhere else.

Just my opinion.

Location hidden

#12 Oct 27, 2012
I meant to write "doing some other maintenance task".
Cosmic Marge

Northville, MI

#13 Oct 27, 2012
I thought about learning how to be a pharmacy tech but wondered if I could even remember all the names , shapes of the pills, and would have concerns about passing out a roofie to someone by acident because I gave them the wrong meds . That is a huge job requirement and responsibility. Thats why I stick to picking out Eiffel for you nail polish rather than something that might kill someone. Not sure what the Sfl job is all about yet but it sure seems like people do not like it that much.
BigFlats1901

Greenwood, SC

#14 Oct 28, 2012
I was a senior tech before becoming an MGT, I recommend stayin in rx. If not for the pay, I wouldn't have done it, your are constantly shit on and now the SFL is even worse. Technician pay is capped higher than SFL and senior tech pay is capped higher than what ASM-T will be be per year. Stay in the pharmacy, it's less stressful, tou get treated better, less work, has better job security, and pays better.
Grease

Elmhurst, IL

#15 Oct 28, 2012
I got "promoted" from PHTC to SFL two months ago. Like many others here have said, if you want to move up in retail soon, SFL is the way to go. Although. there are greater responsibilities with SFL than PHTC. I hit the cap in wage with the company-wide raise in August, but I still got a 3% raise after the switch. I kind of wanted to stay in pharmacy because of the job-security and such, but since I changed my major (college) recently to business, I believed SFL position would look good on resume.

The company does view the position somewhat as the same level as PHTC, but the responsibilities make the difference.

If you are really considering switching, make sure you go to a slower store so that you can learn at a considerable pace.

Don't let other people discourage you; if you like challenges, making your own decisions, lead a team, learning new processes and extra duties to keep yourself busy. you should switch to SFL. I have not regretted it (yet, haha)

CAUTION: Make sure also that the store you will be in won't see you as a substitute pharm tech for the real techs that usually call off.
BigFlats1901

United States

#16 Oct 28, 2012
Grease, I wanna move to our district. Here, all sfl's are told they are in a dead end position. Actually, I'm pretty sure the field transformation guide states that as well. Please people, don't feed the sfl position, it's a giant screw job perpetuated by Walgreens idiots to increase profits instead of doing something productive that will increase profits. Like letting store manager manage and order for their stores and budget accordingly
No drama please

Austin, TX

#17 Oct 29, 2012
Stay in rx!!!! Both positions are stressful, but you will have a better schedule in rx, and help is an IC3 away! As an SFL you are held accountable for all this stuff, but you are running around getting distracted...and no one to call when you are knee deep in work!
SFL in NM

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Nov 2, 2012
Yeah, I moved from the pharmacy since screaming into the drive thru window always improved my moods at a 600+ 24 hr store. SFL is much better then what I did, I got transferred back to photo for a few years at tech pay and got promoted to SFL last year. Now I feel really pissed after my "Loan" to another store as a STL, and my home store already hired a STL to replace me. Man, stuffs going on that I don't know.

PS, must be nice to take a LOA for the holidays.
MGTonsauce

Ankeny, IA

#19 Nov 2, 2012
Only way to get ASM-T is to be a MGT or SFL no others need to apply. I no longer have access, but no other position can apply for ASM-T. So if you want a longterm career with wag the unfortunately a SFL is the only way to go.
Snowflake

Elizabeth, NJ

#20 Nov 19, 2015
Can a person that got promoted to an sfl get demoted if they dont get there rx license within100 days of being an sfl?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
So..what's going to happen to the rest of us ba's? 59 min Loll 3
Who is Supposed to Clean Restrooms at Your Store? 2 hr Lol 2
Asm position going away 4 hr WBA 52
DM promotion opportunity 6 hr Wagger 6
New Uniforms (Jul '12) 10 hr seinfan01 107
Anybody know the wic.... (Sep '14) 11 hr BGB 15
Walgreens music playlist from 2011 to the present (Apr '12) 11 hr new_sfl1234 2,315
Get out if you can, FAST!!!!!!! 12 hr brex 32
Unbelievable - Wasson Enterprise? Gotta be a j... 13 hr Lol 5
It's Back! Tue therehouse 8
More from around the web